News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Audition

Started by Lady Dina, April 13, 2009, 10:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Dina

I have been attending the Carolina Renaissance festival since I was about 7 or 8. I'm 20 now and would love to work there. (this is also my 2nd year I will attend in garb!)
Does anyone have any ideas of how to start? I don't know what type of positions would be available to me (I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this ???).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!  ;D

renfairephotog

Fro general advice read through the Create a Character forums. Theres some audition advice in there.   
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Dina

Terry Griffith

Lady Dina, that's good advice but remember you don't always pick your character.  You might suggest the part you would like to play but be prepared to do a 180 if the ED needs you to be something else.  It's nice to go to enjoy the faire for free and even get paid for it but actors must be prepared to be whatever the part requires. 

Not to say you won't get the part you create but just be open to the needs of the cast.  Your character will develope in the lanes with the assistance of all the others that know your story.  When you become the character in the proper surroundings, you will need to deal with the real problems and adventures of that character and those experiences flesh out the part.  That's the big diffeence in doing this kind of theater and acting on a stage.  At faire, you get to live the part.  On stage, your only living it while the curtain is up.

BTW, I'm not on cast but I am a stage act and my wife is on cast.  I have been to all the rehearsals and read the books on the subject and I've seen it first hand and participated in bits in the lanes.

Look for a book by Gary Izzo titled, "The Art Of Play"  (ISBM 0-435-07036-3) .  He has templates to help you develope what you need in a good interactive street character once you find out what it will be.

Good luck.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

McGuinness

Do you want to be on cast or work at the faire? I'm not sure how CRF works, but at the PA Ren Faire where I've worked/been on cast for for 5 years now, cast and staff  are seperate. Most of the seasonal staff is costumed but doesn't interact as much as cast and the cast does the interaction and is in shows. I auditioned for the cast after only 3 visits to the faire and had NO idea what I was getting into when I started so being a "noob" doesn't need to stop you. I had stage acting experience, but street and improv interaction is a whole new ballgame.

That said, I'd start by contacting the faire. There should be employment or audition info on their website (I'm assuming) or at least contact info that you can find out who/what they are looking for, what they require for auditions and other basic info. You can also try contacting their ED (entertainment director), cast director or other faire actors to get some pointers or some realistic ideas of what is expected of their actors (I could go for days about what we do at PaRF, but that may not apply down there...). Once the faire starts, if you aren't already on cast by then, befriend some actors and see what they do during the day. You may be able to watch or even hang out with them for some time during the day to see if its for you and what you want.

As far as the audition itself? Most require some sort of monologue and some improv interaction. Lots of people say "don't do this type of monologue", "avoid that type"', 'but when it comes down to it? Do something you like, that you are comfortable and have fun with, and shows you off. You're selling yourself here! As far as the interaction? Two word: "Yes, and". Have fun and roll with whatever comes at you...and have fun with it!!! Faires are fun, high energy, interactive places, wherever they are!

Good luck, and have fun!

Lady Dina

Thanks to all who have replied! I learned a lot :)

Colleen McGuinness, Your post was very informative. I never thought about talking to the people that are already cast! I don't relay care if I am on staff or actually cast, either one would be great. I'll defiantly take your advice and contact my local fair. I guess all I can do is audition and hope for the best! ;D