News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question about an umbrella...

Started by Adriana Rose, April 14, 2009, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I have seen this fabbo umbrella that has roses around the edge. But since I am a budget I want to try to make one rather than put out the 30 + shipping for the one in the catalog.

A trip to the dollar store later I am armed with a ton of roses. ( good tip there, the dollar store has fantastic silk flowers! same as the big craft stores)

I have an umbrella so that is taken care of but I am stuck on how to attach them. I was thinking using the big plastic pony beads and sitching them on to the edge. Since hot glue and silicone would peel right off. But then that leaves little holes in the umbrella.

Any ideas?

Taffy Saltwater

Try a dab of E-6000 glue - really good stuff.  Use a craft or popsicle stick to apply it.
Sveethot!

Marietta Graziella

If they're silk, why not sew them on?
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Adriana Rose

Thats the plan I was just worried about the water tightness of the whole rig..

Anna Iram

Get a tube of seam sealer from your local camping supply store. It's a clear and flexible sealer that's meant to waterproof the stitched seams of your tent. It will leave a slight sheen behind, but nothing really noticable I don't think.

Pascal

I understand the roses are sewn on the rose umbrella in the catalog (very poorly, if the reviews are correct).  In any case, the roses are at the edges of the umbrella, plus the needle hole will have thread in it.  I don't think it would leak -- and if it did, it's on the edge of the umbrella anyway.

Adriana Rose

Thanks!

Mom has been leaning towards just buying one so now i have proof I am right! haha

I was thinking on figuring out a way to glitter the umbrella it's self.. There is this spray glitter for crafting that I have and then maybe spraying it with a sealer of some kind...( too many ideas lol )