News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help joining or starting a group

Started by tiberiusflynn, April 21, 2009, 01:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiberiusflynn

I've been doing Theatre for 15 or so years and have worked for the Texas Ren Faire before. I'm currently based in South East Texas

I LOVE Ren Faire, and really want to travel the US working at each one.

I reckon in order to do this I'd either need to be in a group, or start one of my own that can get hired.

Sadly, I'm having trouble doing such in my area.

I can sing, dance and act as well as Juggle. I've worked with Arsene the Parisian Clown and have done some stuff with Sound and Fury, although not in their stage act. I am also proficient in Scottish, Irish and English Accents. Not to mention an Amateur Tudor history buff.

The past two years, and this year, I'm generally a pirate and I guide people through the tex ren faire, as I know it like the back of my hand. But I'm willing to be and can be other types of characters.

Any suggestions?

Celtic_Fae

Network, know the audition dates of the faires you want to travel to, a try to make it to them. Groups aren't the only ones who get hired; my friend works myriad faires as a solo actor. As far as an "act", per se, you don't have to be in a group either; it's just a matter of bolstering your reputation and fan base to get in more places and get better pay.

Terry Griffith

Kathryn just gave the best advice.  I was about to add just what she said.

I have been a single act in pubs, festivals and Ren Faires for many years.  I get work that groups can't and make at least twice as much as a member of a 4 or 5 piece band.  It's a matter of confidence in your act.  One person can do as many songs as 4 people and when you listen to a single musician, you don't miss percussion and bass and vocal harmony if it is done well.  Why would a promoter hire 4 people to do the same job as one and why would you take less money to work just as hard.

How many duos do you see where one person sings and both play the same chords on two guitars?  I love vocal harmony and miss it like crazy on certain songs but for most songs, the audience doesn't miss it.

Do 5 people sound better than 1singing and playing?  Definately.  Is it better enough to warrant the down sides?  Probably not.

Cut your equipment and transportation costs in half,  take home all the marbles and work more often.  Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

jcbanner

there is something to be said for group banter though. my favorite part of multi person groups is the banter and schick they'll play with.

if your goal is just to be able to go to and work as as many shows as possible, call up the faires you want to go to, some of them will allow you show up for a weekend as guest cast.

tiberiusflynn

Thanks for all the good advice!!

I dont' mind solo act, but I have to agree with jcbanner, there's just something about group banter. I love working with a good group, theres nothing better to me then when the improve is flying and the entire group is in perfect sync.....

Terry Griffith

Yes, the banter and improv does make the act more entertaining and even more enjoyable for the performers.  However, banter among the performers turns into script with the same humorous lines being delivered every show.  The banter and improv with the audience is much more effective as entertainment and it should change with the audience.  Of course it takes a special talent besides musical ability to accomplish this.  I have seen acts that are very entertaining, have a great rep on the circuit and work year round on a regular basis and they have very little musical ability.   Not that I agree with that approach but it shows how important involving the audience in banter can be.

I continue to believe that audiences appreciates both musical ability and interactive improv.  After all, suspension of disbelief is as important to a performer as it is to the audience. 

The love of performing and faire is important but if I can't cover my expenses and make a profit to pay the other bills, then I can't do it. 

All the best to the solos, duos and groups who have been able to support themselves with their craft.  You are all blessed and passing the blessing along to the paytrons is a very special opportunity.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

vinceconaway

I think it's interesting that music is what was jumped on for commenting, but what struck my eye was "act, sing and juggle" all in one.  That right there is a pretty potent triple-threat, and something you have that other groups might not.  In my opinion the best way to fill a niche is to create one, and with this skill set you may have the opportunity to do so.

As for creating a group, the best way to combine Terry's solo benefits with those of a group is to date/marry your partner.  Obviously it's hard to audition this role, but the most successful duos I know of are couples who can combine their incomes in one household.

Whatever route you go, I'd recommend that you performperformperform at your home show (and any others you can get to) in order to make your act work in front of a real live audience before trying to expand too much.  There's little like the view of people leaving your show to make you hone your act (although needing it to feed you is also high on the list).

VIII

Quote from: knightofistari on April 21, 2009, 01:03:31 PMI can sing, dance and act as well as Juggle.
...and I immediately thought of Steve Martin from "The Man With Two Brains" juggling, tap-dancing, and singing the "Magalena-Hagalena" song as a drunk test for a German traffic cop!

Apologies, that doesn't help, does it?

As an option, just to get you out on the road, talk with the office of your local Ren faire to find out if they need part-time help behind-the-scenes.  Then ask if they can put you in-touch with other Ren faires.

If you have any experience with horses, you might approach the Joust troupe to apply for Squiring.  They are ALWAYS in-need of travelling help.  I did it for two years, but don't really recommend it, unless you have a thick skin and don't mind a complete lack of privacy.

However, I did meet the woman who is now my wife at the Ontario Ren Faire when I was squiring.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: VIII on April 23, 2009, 10:35:30 AM
Quote from: knightofistari on April 21, 2009, 01:03:31 PMI can sing, dance and act as well as Juggle.
...and I immediately thought of Steve Martin from "The Man With Two Brains" juggling, tap-dancing, and singing the "Magalena-Hagalena" song as a drunk test for a German traffic cop!

Apologies, that doesn't help, does it?
LOL, its okay. I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, I was taught to juggle by Arsene the Parisian Clown when I worked for him several years ago at TRF....he also said I was the only guy he could ever fit in the sword box....lol.

Quote from: VIII on April 23, 2009, 10:35:30 AM
As an option, just to get you out on the road, talk with the office of your local Ren faire to find out if they need part-time help behind-the-scenes.  Then ask if they can put you in-touch with other Ren faires.

If you have any experience with horses, you might approach the Joust troupe to apply for Squiring.  They are ALWAYS in-need of travelling help.  I did it for two years, but don't really recommend it, unless you have a thick skin and don't mind a complete lack of privacy.

However, I did meet the woman who is now my wife at the Ontarion Ren Faire when I was squiring.

Thats actually great advice. Thanks! I sadly don't have any experience with horses....although have always wanted to learn anything I can about them. I would love to just travel doing faire though.....I was going to do tours with a theatre company when I graduated college but I owned a beagle by then and they wouldn't let me take him with us. Sadly, I chose my dog over touring.....eh