News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Yikes! What an image!!

Started by gem, April 24, 2009, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

So most of you good gentles know that in my mundane life, I'm an author.  I just got my editorial letter (revision guidelines) for my new book from my editor today.  The new book is a young adult high fantasy about a thief, and my editor suggested more scenes where we see the thief stealing things:  "...a few coins from Raffin's pocket, a candlestick down the corset, etc."

CANDLESTICK DOWN THE CORSET??  :o ??? Egads!  Up a sleeve, under a skirt, maybe--but down the corset?  Um...  yeah. No.

LadyDracolich

Clearly, your editor has never worn a corset... ;) LOL  By the way, saw your tv interview you did last year for your last book.  It was great!  Good luck with the new one!
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Cobaltblu

Do Lady Thieves wear corsets or would they prefer loose clothing they can move quickly in?

I don't see anything wrong with putting something down a corset since it is an easy space to hide items.

Is the thief so well endowed that she has an open space between, where she can hide an entire candlestick?  I don't know many hugely well endowed thieves.

I don't know I would cringe much more about putting the candlestick up the skirt than down the corset, lol.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Dayna

"I don't know I would cringe much more about putting the candlestick up the skirt than down the corset, lol."

That was Not a mental image I needed  :o ;D

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: gem on April 24, 2009, 04:48:37 PM
CANDLESTICK DOWN THE CORSET??  :o ??? Egads!  Up a sleeve, under a skirt, maybe--but down the corset?  Um...  yeah. No.

You might get a coin or two down a corset (retrievable only when said corset is removed!), but never a candlestick!  I've been known to tuck the mobile phone or the keys down me bra, but there's too much me there for anything bigger!

Either this is a male editor, or you need to lace the woman into a corset for a day.  And set her climbing drainpipes...

'Poacher's pockets' in the coat skirts is yer best bet for anything larger than a snuff box.

flidais

I have a very thin phone, and I can just barley squeeze it in my corset.  I am fairly well endowed and feel that makes for even less room in the corset.  Certainly no place for a candlestick.  Very funny thought though.  lol

Adriana Rose

What books? hmm

Uhh thats a no on the candle stick down the corset.. I am not as well endowed as some here but all I have pulled off is some change and my bodice chiller...

maybe a thigh holster for that kinda stuff.. i donno but that would be a feat for sure!

(p.s  A phone does not like living in a bodice my mum fried like 2 in a summer at faire becuse thats where hers lived for that year)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Nothing can go down my corset when I am laced up!!

IMPOSIBLE Gem!!!

Apparently your Editor has never worn a  Corset. I recall that scene in 'PoTC: Curse of The Pearl' when Elizabeth is getting laced in her corset. Nor could she breathe let alone get a candlestick down. 

YIKES INDEED!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gypsylakat

Long pockets, yes, corest hiding? No. wtf? I was in into the woods and I had a pocket sewn in down to my ankle, this would also give the option to have them clank and jangle when she trips or something, which would get her caught... Just sayin
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

flidais

Quote from: Adriana Rose on April 25, 2009, 06:13:11 PM
(p.s  A phone does not like living in a bodice my mum fried like 2 in a summer at faire becuse thats where hers lived for that year)

Oh that is good to know.  I've havn't fried my phone yet, but I did loose it (and then found again) once.  I have a new phone since faire last year, and I really don't want to fry it.  Now that I know that's possible the phone will have to find a new home.  Thanks!

gypsylakat

you could try sticking it in a plastic bag or get a silicon case for it, that should help keep water out of it's working parts.
Or, stick it in like a little leather type pouch on a cord... won't get lost, won't get wet.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Lady Rosalind

I could see a couple of pieces of jewelry down the bodice, but a candlestick? Candlestick???

Lord Figaro

Well I'm a guy (obviously) and I can remember times my wife would loose pens. And not just one down her cleavage. But she never wore a corset so who knows what she would have lost down there. I can remember her getting undressed and hearing her say "That's where that dang thing went." It was kinda scary the things she'd loose down there. But I can't see a candlestick getting lost there. Nu uh no way, no how.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Aunty Lou

The only sort of candlestick I could see getting tucked into a corset would be of the screww-apart, travelling variety.  And a small one, at that.  They were generally made of cheaper metals (Pewter, tin, brass) and thus not really worth the stealing.  I CAN see a rather complicated arrangement for hiding things under one's wheel farthingale...