News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

after watching prince caspian...

Started by beeboy, May 17, 2008, 07:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeboy

I'm proud to say that I know people who can sew those same outfits just as good or even better.

Lady Anne Clare

I have to say that there is some loverly garb in the movie that I would love to make for faire.  I'm so not at that level of garbery yet though.

I'd love to see pictures of the finished outfits.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

LadyElizabeth

I completely agree beeboy!!!  I felt like making some of those gowns.... but actually I'd prefer seeing a handsom man in one of those amazing costumes prince caspian or High king peter wore!!!  GEORGOUS!!!! Perfect hot guy outfit for sure!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Cilean

I just came home from seeing Prince Caspian I really liked the movie, and I was impressed by the costumes.
The costumes for the world of Narnia, do not need to fit into historical anything they are completely fantasy, it I bet gives Isis a great relam in which to move within.  She could pick and choose and embellish whatever she wanted to! It must have been fun to take some historical and bend it anyway she wanted to! Fun Fun!

I have been inspired by the Farewell gown! It is completey Fantasy and I think it will look smashing for Costume College! It is just the thing, so I need to get a picture (no mean feat really hard I have come up with nothing so far).  So I have made a sketch of the 2 gowns the white which I think is linen about a 5 ounce or so or Silk Taffeta, but I am going to use Linen.  I have some blue material with brown or gold so I might use that will suffice for this gown.

So once I finish my other gowns I will tackle this gown!! LOL

Cilean
Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

LadyOren

Haven't seen it yet, but will soon.  Loved the outfits in the Narnia movie so I'm sure these will be a delight also, give them 2 months and one of the big 3 pattern makers will have commerical like patterns out from it, just in time for the halloween craze. 
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

cowgrrl

I was seriously coveting Susans outfit from the battle scenes.  Chainmaille & a leather corset; what more could you ask for?

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Cilean on May 28, 2008, 10:57:41 PM

I just came home from seeing Prince Caspian I really liked the movie, and I was impressed by the costumes.
The costumes for the world of Narnia, do not need to fit into historical anything they are completely fantasy, it I bet gives Isis a great relam in which to move within.  She could pick and choose and embellish whatever she wanted to! It must have been fun to take some historical and bend it anyway she wanted to! Fun Fun!

Cilean

Not entirely true.   ;)

This gown: http://tinyurl.com/5mvt94
Is probably based off of this painting from the early 1500's:
http://www.wga.hu/art/h/holbein/hans_y/1525/11venus.jpg

Actually, many of the outfits have far more historical "points" than most "historically" based films or shows.

Cilean

Sorry Isabella,

That is the "Coronation Gown"- the gown in which I want to make is the "Farewell Gown" and it is completely different.  The "Farewell Gown" has 2 sections; a white undergown which is off the shoulder with either 2 deep pleats or folds or I don't know what you call them, and the overgown which ties in the back, has a false closing front and is in a blue with brown flowers.   (I did mention the colors in my first post)  I have been to several bookstores for children as they will have picture books of the movie, and all of the books stop at the Coronation, and just speak of the farewell seen as if it was added and they did not have pictures (which could have happened).

So as of yet, I still don't have a picture of the Farewell gown, but thanks for trying!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling

isabelladangelo

Cilean,
I was referring to the comment that "The costumes for the world of Narnia, do not need to fit into historical anything they are completely fantasy" and not a specific costume.  I used the specific costume to show that the costumes of Narnia are, in fact, very much based on the Historical as most fantasy movies are.

However, if you would like one of the farewell gown, the costumer's guide always has some of the best pictures available of any movie.  http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/costumersguide/Prince%20Caspian/?action=view&current=enddress.png
Also, the gown looks very much like it was based off the early 16th c Tudor styles with a chemise from either a bit earlier or a lot later.  You can view a similar back styling here:
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/TudorWomen/1500/H8June.html
And a similar front styling here:
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/TudorWomen/1500/StAnneInstructVirgin.html
and
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/gringore1514.jpg

As I stated previously, many of the outfits have far more historical "points" than most "historically" based films or shows.  Hope that helps.   :)

Margaret

I love Caspian's double in that 'farewell' shot.  I am so very going to be using that gathered trim around a few necklines this season.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

LadyMeg

I, too, loved the costumes in Caspian.  The Farewell is one of my favorite dresses on screen, so I'll probably be doing a recreate sometime (hopefully for Halloween since my list is filled for Ren. season).

Fantastic Costumer's Guide pic!  I can't believe I missed that in my regular scouting of that site!  Also, check out:
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/

It's devoted to Narnia Costumes.

Susan's Farewell study there:  http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspiansusanfarewell.asp

|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

Cilean

To Meg,

Yes!! I am part of that site as well, I was hoping they could shed some light on this gown as I could not find it anywhere on the web!  The lady who did the drawing and I are speaking already, but it would be better if we could find a good photo of the entire gown, 2 one Front and one Back would be the best.  Or I could go to the movie like 9 times  :D so that I could sketch while there! So I can see the details of the gown!  I am part of www.Costumecollege.org It happens on the first week of August and is a blast, we have a Gala on Saturday that we bring our best costumes.   I have asked my best friend to make Susan's Coronation Gown, she looks awesome in Gold and Red  ;D, and I want the Farewell Gown.  In fact, I am speaking at the College on Renaissance Fabrics, and how to get modern equivalents, so I am making a version of a MQOS Gown for that talk.  It is also what I am using in the Stash Challenge on this site as well!

To Isabella,

What I said:

The costumes for the world of Narnia, do not need to fit into historical anything they are completely fantasy, I bet it gives Isis a great realm in which to move within.  She could pick and choose and embellish whatever she wanted to! It must have been fun to take some historical and bend it anyway she wanted to! Fun Fun!

I in fact did say that some historical was used, in my comments, she did play with things.  She did not have to do anything historical as this is a fantasy movie, no real place called Narnia.  As such she picked a lot from history, and also did her own thing, I doubt we can find something like Susan's Battle Armor in history for instance.

And yes, the information you gave? I had previously added the same information on another site for people who were looking for the Coronation Gown, as well as the 2 Ladies with a Dog portrait that was called the 2 courtesans.  So I think we are saying the same thing, but I got confused as you did not reference that you were showing the Coronation Gown as a H/A gown and since I was speaking of the Farewell Gown.   I guess we both got confused (mercury retrograde at it's best I think  ;) )

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling

LadyMeg

Well, I'm probably going this weekend to my local (and cheap) small town theatre and I'll be sure to pay special attention and see if I can find out some more details...  I love the dress and will probably be making it.  The only thing for me would be that I have to have quite a bit of structure in the blue overdress due to my small chest that just will not hold up anything without some strap...  That's going to be the biggest challenge.

I would guess since that it is a movie costume that the inside is probably structured similar to a 'prom' strapless.  Any thoughts on the inside structure?
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

isabelladangelo

Meg,
The dress is lined, boned, and laced up tightly in the back.  Typically, with this style of dress, the boning and the lacing create enough tension that the dress doesn't fall down.   ;)  However, I like a bit of extra security with off shoulder straps myself and they could easily be hidden beneath the folds of the chemise.

Cilean

Hey Meg and Everyone,

The overgown is cut with a princess curve which actually is awesome to really get it fitted to your body shape. The curve seems more to the front of the shoulder than to the curve of the armscye.  It reminds me of a French Bodice curve or the Venetian bodice curve at the top.  If you don't have a body double or mannikin you might ask a friend to help with the fitting so it will fit you.  I have the opposite but same issue, I am a DD and it looks as though the actress is well endowed for her size as well, I will have this fitted as well.  From what I have seen it ties in the back with self fabric ties, and so I don't think it has boning at all.  If it does? It probably has basic ridgeline and nothing heavier, due to how she walks and moves in the gown, and yes! I do think it is similar to a Prom gown bodice construction, it seemed in the back to have a small modesty panel for each side for the back and I am guessing it tapers to the waist for the best fitting.

Now I have been doing some research on some basic dresses that can be altered to be this overgown:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5467.htm?tab=dresses&page=3

This is a jumper but has a good look you can make a toile or mockup and fit it then work with the front for the correct line, remember this gown has a false front opening the front does not actually open, so you can play with how the piece will look with the back zipper taken out and the ties added.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5467.htm?tab=dresses&page=3

Now this is my favorite gown it is known as the 2 hour dress if you are making it like it is.  This could be both the basis for the undergown and the overgown, it is very easily changed.

The Linen inner gown, is not like a Smock/Chemise at all, it has a front tapered to a V with 2 wings since I can't see how it goes together but I can see the back of the gown and it does not close there, it might close in front with hook and eyes to achieve the V.  Like 1960's open shoulder dresses, or even the 1950's off the shoulder winged tops.  I am checking with a vintage pattern person I met a CostumeCon26 to see if she has any of those patterns in her supplies. 

It is fun, and I enjoy a challenge! I will post a pick of a couple fabric choices I have see what people will think of those!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling