News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

I think we need a thread to consolidate pictures of all of us in our various armored personas.  I know there is a similiar thread on the myarmory boards, but it would be nice to see everyone's kits.  I love seeing the variety out there.  I'll start with mine, but hope many of you will join in.....Show us your full kits, shields, weapons, etc.

Early 5th Century BC Corinthian Hoplite

Late 5th Century BC Athenian Hoplite

1st Century AD Roman Legionnaire

10th Century Viking

12th Century Templar

12th Century Knight

16th Century Samurai

Chris B

And a few shields for flavor.

Scottish Targe

Boeotian

Heaters

Kite

Tear Drop

Parma

Ecranche

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

13th Cen Templar

12th Cen Templar Sergeant

Chris B

Awesome look.  I love the sergeant impression.  Hopefully more people will join in soon.  I think I am going through armor withdrawal while I am playing fiddle and dressing gypsy for Scarby.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

So I hear, at least you have a broad base to diversify. I'm narrow minded and tunnel vision equipped, I can't see pass the Beausant. :P ;D

robert of armstrong

Chris B:   I thank you, m'Lord for starting this thread.  That way I can't be blamed for it!  I have admired your work for some time, and it is a second credit to you that your work is so diverse.

If I may, I wish to use this thread as a sort of narrative of my armored evolution.  After a few years of garbing as a woodsman/mercenary/peasant, I decided that I had tried to ignore my itch for armor long enough.  My armor purchase (besides several pairs of bracers, of course) was a chain maille hauberk.  I also picked up a pair of metal plated bracers and a pair of greaves to round out the protection.  I was trying to decide if a tabard would suit my attitude, when I learned of a Knight's travelling tabard, which I liked the look of.  Here I am, with m'Lady, outside the chapel and MDRF in 2006.

That only satisfied for a short time - I wanted something more.  I came to the conclusion that my RenPersona would never have been rich enough for metal plate armor, but leather plate would be perfect.  I didn't want black, I like the idea of being different.  Brown was the answer, and what I found for a company in Georgia was indeed different.  This is me, I think at Great Lakes, in 2007.

But, the brown leather wasn't different enough.  I am a bit of an attention whore, and wanted something else that would make me stand out, and then it came to me - I had never seen anybody in scale maille at any of the RenFests I had been to.  So I set to it.  This is the present stage of my armor illness, taken in Sterling, 2008.

My next step is a helm, which will require some careful thinking.

Along the way, I have made some great friends, along with one time chance meetings.

I met this gentleman in both his namesake Black Armor

and his 2nd version Red Armor in Michigan.

I was enchanted by this lass in Michigan as well.

I met this metal plated Knight at OhRF

and this Samurai at MdRF.

I met these fine Nobles at the Pub in MiRF

and was challenged (and bested) by a small wizard at Great Lakes.

Finally, my best friend and RenBuddy, Brent.

He introduced my to Faire through the now defunct Ontario RenFest, and is largely responsible for my RenFest fever.  He has been on every trip to Faire that I have every been on except one, and he is also the one that suggested my wife and I could have a Medieval wedding, since we loved going to Faire so much.

Thanks for indulging me.  See you at Faire.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

groomporter

Closest thing to armor I've got is my 17th century elk hide buff coat
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Chris B

Robert,

I absolutely love the full set with the scale maille underneath the leather.  That is a very unique look and you're right; I have never seen anyone wear it at fair.  I have been debating taking scales and linothorax construction methods to make a full set of fantasy armor, but I just do not have the motivation right now after the linothorax. 

Groom porter,

Even unarmored it is still a nice look.  The colors are very eye catching.

Now come on guys, I know we are not the only four armored personas out there.  Lets see the variety out there.

DarkLord

Here's a nicely detailed picture of my armor taken at PARF by Michael Ulrich.
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

kulrath Bane (Dragon Slayer AZ)

These are the DragonSlayers at the Arizona Renaissance Festival in 2008. 
I am on the right. All of our armor is handmade nothing is bought except for the leather, which we buy in roles from Tandy's Leather.
Kulrath Bane

Chris B

Black Armor

Sir Robert, thanks for posting the pictures.  I just saw this thread and was going to post some until I was pleasantly suprised by the ones you posted.  Those are nice shots.  The black set was my first attempt at making armor and didn't come out so great.  I purchased the helm and chain but made the chest/back kidney belt, kilt and legs.  The only tools I had to make that set with was a razor knife, hole punch, rivet setter and a rubber mallet.  I took what I learned from making the black armor and applied it to the red armor which I think is a big improvement.  I went a little overboard and bought a quite a collection of actual leather working tools, most of which I didn't know how to use. 
I made everything on the red armor except the helm and chain which I purchased.  I am now remaking the black armor and have finished the chest and back.  There is more tooling on the new set and I am using an airbrush to do a black/red fade that looks pretty good so far.  I'm learning as I go and hopefully the new black armor will be an improvement over the red.

dragonslayer808

My armor is a work in progress,  I use it both for Faire and Screams so it must be user friendly.  Don't want anyone injured by accidental contact in the dark.  I have made all of it myself up until the face piece upgrade 2 years ago.  That I commisioned to a very talented artist Jen Harrison.  I plan on more upgrades before Screams this year and will be wearing it to TRF in November.

dragonslayer808

DarkLord

Here's a picture of my armor when I'm in a more Mongolian-Asian mood.

Bringer of Doom and Pestilence