News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

Love the Mongol armor.  Cannot believe I missed that post this long.  Asian armor is so different from all other cultures and that is awesome.  Keep em coming.

Chris B

Quote from: dragonslayer808 on June 01, 2009, 09:27:35 PM
My armor is a work in progress,  I use it both for Faire and Screams so it must be user friendly.  Don't want anyone injured by accidental contact in the dark.  I have made all of it myself up until the face piece upgrade 2 years ago.  That I commisioned to a very talented artist Jen Harrison.  I plan on more upgrades before Screams this year and will be wearing it to TRF in November.

I am half blind when not wearing my prescription sunglasses so make sure you stop me if you see me so I can check that armor out.  Looking good.

Gwen

Looking at this makes me curious, especially since I'm not a Faire-goer. 

Has 'Renaissance Faire' come to mean a catch all term for a place to wear any sort of costume?   Some of ChrisB's outfits are way cool and very well done, but certainly not 'Renaissance'.  So what's the deal?

Very interested-

Gwen

Chris B

Quote from: Gwen on September 11, 2009, 12:02:19 PM
Looking at this makes me curious, especially since I'm not a Faire-goer.  

Has 'Renaissance Faire' come to mean a catch all term for a place to wear any sort of costume?   Some of ChrisB's outfits are way cool and very well done, but certainly not 'Renaissance'.  So what's the deal?

Very interested-

Gwen

First off, my armor was collected and made with the intent to keep it as historically accurate as possible and prior to me ever stepping foot in a fair.  It spawned out of a fascination with military history.  

Our fair, the Texas Renaissance Festival, has themed weekends throughout the 8 week run, and personally, I only wear the sets on weekends in which they would relate. Ie....

Roman Bachannal - Roman Armor
Barbarian Invasion - Viking Armor
Celtic Christmas - Medieval Armor

The Japanese set of armor is in fact 16th century and there are clear documented cases of Samurai in Europe during the 1500's although I will be the first to admit they wouldn't have been in armor on their visits.

I think it all boils down to personal taste and the overall theme of the fair.  Our fair has fairies, barbarians, transylvanians, the normal courts of the period, conquistadors, American Indians, pirates, and the likes that span many time periods if you want to really get technical.  It is all in fun, and I do not think most people look or care as much about being perfectly period unless you are on performance company.

*****EDIT*****
Gwen, I know exactly who you are now.  ;D  If you look at my clothing carefully, you'll see that several items are bought from Historic Enterprises and specifically you.  I love my Viking clothing from you guys..... I edited out the earlier statement since I know it's a legitimate question.

ALS

Granted, we haven't worked a show since 2005 but did 8 years at the same one and I think probably to an extent yes. I don't think your likely to see a cowboy anytime soon but faire attendees have certainly  become movie driven in thier costume choices to an extent. The pirate thing is everywhere due to POTC, loads of people dressing in the highly stereotyped Hollywood version of pirates and many faires have a pirates weekend now because of it. Men in kilts became huge after Braveheart ( again a huge Hollywood stereotype, the Scotts would have looked very much like the English they fought in terms of clothing, not all running about kilts with woad on ) and remian popular. While we saw the odd Merlin, with the comming of LOTR, there were Gandalfs, rangers, elves and fairies all over the place. There are still plenty of folks looking to do some sort of period look but the 2000's have seen movie driven looks become as common as period looks on the faire scene.

Gwen

Hi Chris-

I hope my question didn't come across as snotty, because I didn't mean it to. I am genuinely curious!! 

I get orders all the time for [14th C, 15th C, Viking, fill in the blank] 'for the Renaissance Faire' and it just seems a little unusual to me so I thought I'd ask. 

It's not the blatantly fantasy stuff (which has always been there to one degree or another) so much as the non-Renaissance, really well done period outfits like yours that made me curious. I suppose though that if you don't belong to a reenactment group, there's not much opportunity to wear kit like that, but if the Renaissance faire allows it, it gives you someplace to show it off.

And to go back, I was serious-your stuff looks great, whether any f it came from me or not, you've clearly put a lot of time and effort into it and it shows.

Too bad you're so far away, I'm sure any of the groups participating in the Festival of History at the Tournament of the Phoenix would welcome you with open arms.

Gwen

Gwen

Chris B

Thanks for the remarks.  I still am drooling over Jeff's work and hope one day to buy an Italo-Milanese from him.  5 kids has put a hamper on that for now though..... :o

I do belong to the Roman group here in Texas, but I just don't have a lot of free time to go to a lot of their events.  They are leading the parade at TRF this year for Roman weekend, but I cannot participate in that because I am performing with one of the dance troupes as the violinist.  I just outfitted a friend with my best Scutum to date and am a little envious that my work is going to get its debut on someone else.  He is really excited about his new Roman impression though so it makes me happy for him. 

Gwen

'[I'm] a little envious that my work is going to get its debut on someone else.'

Welcome to my world!! :D

I never -ever- wear the things I make, and probably only a dozen people in the world could point to these and say 'this is Gwen's work'.  I'm my own best kept secret.  ;)

But like you, it gives me a lot of pleasure to see people enjoying the things I produce, so it's all good.

Gwen

Chris B

That is absolutely gorgeous work.  I didn't realize you did that much custom work.  We may need to talk at some future point next year.  ;)  Seriously, that is amazing work!

robert of armstrong

Quote from: ALS on September 11, 2009, 02:08:25 PM
I don't think your likely to see a cowboy anytime soon

Saw two gunslingers at MDRF Labor Day weekend: bowlers caps, pinstripe grey pants, riding boots, suit vests, gun belts with drop holsters strapped to their thighs (no guns, Faire not weapons friendly) - straight out of Wyatt Erp or Tombstone, only a few years out of period.

Ughhhh
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Gwen

Hi Robert-

So I take it you didn't like the gunslingers. Would you mind if I asked why?  Do you find Chris' Roman or Dark Ages impression equally jarring?  Assuming that 'Renaissance' is the starting point for the Fair (1500 or so), a gunslinger (1880) would be less OOP than a Roman (500BC to 500AD).

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm really fascinated by all aspects of the dressing up in costume game!

Gwen

Black Armor

Quote from: Gwen on September 18, 2009, 09:34:57 AM

So I take it you didn't like the gunslingers. Would you mind if I asked why?  Do you find Chris' Roman or Dark Ages impression equally jarring?  Assuming that 'Renaissance' is the starting point for the Fair (1500 or so), a gunslinger (1880) would be less OOP than a Roman (500BC to 500AD).

Because it's a medieval renaissance faire and there is nothing that can be construed as medieval about cowboys.  I think it is more about what fits in and adds to the atmosphere and intent of the faire rather than how far off period the costume is.  Swords and armor (with some exceptions) fit in much better than cowboys with six-shooters.
I know the question was directed at Robert but I answer because I believe he is referring to my home faire (Mi Ren Fest) and he is also a friend so I don't think he will mind me giving my opinion.   

robert of armstrong

Thanks for having my back, Jay.  It wasn't MiRF but MdRF, but your point is right on what I was thinking.

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Black Armor

Anytime.  By the way, I finished the new black armor just in time to wear it for the last day of faire last Sunday.  I forgot to get a good close up shot but I'll try to load up what I have and get them on here ASAP.

Poldugarian Warrior

Very cool kits everyone. Here's mine. it's Hungarian Leather Armor 1300's to early Renaissance. Bought at Pyramid Leather at MiRF,.