News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArmoredSaint

;D

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Chris B on April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

1st Century AD Roman Legionnaire

I'd like to recommend a book for your collection, if you don't have it already.
LEGIONARY: The Roman Soldier's Unofficial Manual by Philip Matyszak

It's hilarious. It reads like a combination of Recruiting pamphlet and Field Manual to give the reader a look at Roman Legionnaire history. It has plenty of illustrations, and color photos of some reenactors.

Chris B

Poldugarian,

I think I have seen your work on My Armory before.  You have posted there a bit too right?  Love the kit, it is awesome.

Armored Saint,
That is a very nice set-up too. 

I wish I could see more of all of your kits up close and personal.  I know that pictures don't do this stuff justice most the time.

Warrior Monk,
Thanks. 

Since you posted the Roman picture again and that Scutum makes me feel like I am going to vomit, here are the three Scuta I finished a month ago with an Augustan and Republican era Scutum in process.  I have a full sized shield press now and finally have perfected the shaping instead of that ugly abomination in the picture above.  I mean it was one of the first shields I ever made 5 years ago so it was a good attempt, but it looks horrible against the new batch.

Brian Green Knight

Quote from: Black Armor on September 28, 2009, 11:32:59 AM
Quote from: Gwen on September 18, 2009, 09:34:57 AM

So I take it you didn't like the gunslingers. Would you mind if I asked why?  Do you find Chris' Roman or Dark Ages impression equally jarring?  Assuming that 'Renaissance' is the starting point for the Fair (1500 or so), a gunslinger (1880) would be less OOP than a Roman (500BC to 500AD).

Because it's a medieval renaissance faire and there is nothing that can be construed as medieval about cowboys.  I think it is more about what fits in and adds to the atmosphere and intent of the faire rather than how far off period the costume is.  Swords and armor (with some exceptions) fit in much better than cowboys with six-shooters.
I know the question was directed at Robert but I answer because I believe he is referring to my home faire (Mi Ren Fest) and he is also a friend so I don't think he will mind me giving my opinion.   

Quote from: robert of armstrong on October 06, 2009, 03:14:51 AM
Thanks for having my back, Jay.  It wasn't MiRF but MdRF, but your point is right on what I was thinking.

I remember seeing them that day as well. I think it was near the Dragon Inn. I've noticed in the past
year or two that MDRF seems to have more playtrons trying to push the "Day of Wrong" envelope.  ;)

Although I try to keep my garb within the late middle ages, I don't mind some of the occasionally more
"loose" interpretations. As long as everyone has fun and don't impose upon another patron's fun then
it's all good. Besides some folks are opposed to those who are inclined to represent the various Fae
which I can't understand such opposition since belief in supernatural beings was an integral part of
the psyche and culture even well into the industrial revolution.  :-\

Now back to the topic of armor...This is my 1340's harness. I consider it to be around 90% accurate
for the timeline I was going for.

@ Chris B. - You're numerous time period harnesses are excellent!
Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world. Planning his vengeance, that he will soon unfold. - Iron Man

Chris B

Thanks.

Pretty sure I have seen your kit at My Armoury as well.  Very well done.  I would have to say I am kind of partial to the phoenix myself..... ;)

Do you have a shot of the shield head on?

Brian Green Knight

Thanks!  :)

Here is the shield. The picture is from last year. I actually made the cross a bit thicker since this
picture.
Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world. Planning his vengeance, that he will soon unfold. - Iron Man

LadyElizabeth

Well here's the amoured Queen Elizabeth ready for battle with the whole Spanish Armada!!

Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Chris B on October 27, 2009, 09:28:28 AM

Am I correct in seeing the 10th Legion here (Fretensis) stationed around Jerusalem?
Have you read the Stephen Dando-Collins series on various Legion histories? A lot of each book is repetitive, but the actual Unit history is quite interesting and makes for good motivation to play Rome Total War. ;D

Chris B

Cool breast plate Elizabeth.  I don't think I have seen you in at at TRF ever.  Might make a cool addition for later in the year.

Warrior Monk.  Yes.  Our unit is based on roughly 50 AD Legio X Fretensis.  I have not read that book yet, but have researched some of the history of our unit.  They used the boar in several of the surviving stamps hence the boar.  Terry also included the tridents and dolphin in the design due to the history of Fretensis being used in Naval battles as well.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

If you don't mind me asking, what of your first Scutum did you find displeasure with? It seems it received a new paint job, an improved boss, and I can't tell, because I see both types, but some included rounded corners as opposed to the squared corners.

Chris B

The main problem lies with the overall geometry of the shield.  My first two attempts did not have as consistant a curve as the new ones, and they had a more tented appearance as opposed to cylindrical.  The brass edging is also much cleaner with no pleating in the rounded corners and the edging has clenched nails through the tabs to the back side.

LadyElizabeth

I wore it to TRF once last year, once to Scarby, and then this year once to Fourwinds.  I will be wearing it later in the season this year as well, probably closing weekend one of the days.  It can't be in the rain, so there's that...  I'll try to stop by Shunyata when I'm wearing it next.

Chris, will you be gracing the fair with any of your rockin' warrior personas this year?  It's great that your get to play violin and such, but it must suck not to get to wear your cool garb!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Chris B

Yes.  I will wear the Samurai set this weekend on Saturday.  The only guarantee is that I will have it on me from 9:00 AM till about 11:00 AM so find me if you want to see it.

I will also be wearing my Greek Linothorax, probably both days for Roman Weekend.  Look forward to seeing you then.   ;D

TheMightyMcClaw

This photo really is something atrocious, but here's my armor when it was last cited at the GV Renfest:

I swear, my head isn't that disproportionately huge in real life. Also, ignore the underamour and bandana. It was cold.
I'm working on some upgrades/new pieces for the armor, and am hoping to have a much fuller kit together for next faire season.

Squire Mickey

Well, just getting started.

Here is a curiass and pauldron set that I have made so far...atleast I think it would be defined as such. I am sure that folks here can correct me if I am mistaken  :D

Unfortunately this seems to be the best picture taken of me when wearing it  :(

Here it is by itself...

Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran