News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

Helm shot coming soon.  Oh, and gauntlets......
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Poldugarian Warrior

Very basic and good looking brigadine, nice work, and the shields are very good as well. Looking into making my own Viking shield quite soon.

crashbot

Love the Viking kit, Chris. Might see you around and get some pointers some day.

This is the first thing I have ever made armor wise.  My take on a Viking shield. No plywood, used edge glued solid wood planks, leather and linen face, 3 cross braces and handle on the back, and leather edge with bronze clamps.

I tried to follow the period details I could find online for the actual constuction, although the color is not what you might see on a real Viking shield  Trying to put together a fairly decent Viking kit for TRF's barbarian weekend. 

I have also purchased some Viking kit from Historic Enterprises, love the stuff.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Chris B

I know a lot of people buy their winnegas, kyrtle, etc. from Historic Enterprise.  I bought all mine there as they make extremely good quality and accurate clothing.  The shield looks great.  You could always paint it one of the standard Viking patterns too if you wanted.  Good luck with the kit.  I won't be wearing any of my stuff this year, but I will definitely keep an eye out for that new kit on barbarian weekend.   :)

Carl

Castleteer
Bretheren of the Great Lakes
Outlander
FOKTOP
True heirto the Duchy of Savoy
Rivet'n Penny

Poldugarian Warrior

Looks good your most vulnerable areas are covered, and yet you still have movement in the torso. Colors are good too. Grey and black always a good decision. The hat is very cool too, because it specifies your rank as a gentleman. Very good job. I don't think you need anymore armor, in your case less is more. Maybe, a stylized belt buckle. A dragon or bird perhaps as sort of a taliesman, but your style seems to be late renaissance where most of that sort of superstitios thinking was going by the wayside.

Carl

Thanks for the input. That is just the era I was going for. The top and pants are actualy green, Its in the shade.
Castleteer
Bretheren of the Great Lakes
Outlander
FOKTOP
True heirto the Duchy of Savoy
Rivet'n Penny

Poldugarian Warrior

I know what you mean, I have a green shirt that borders n being grey it all depends on the light your in.

NefariousDrO

Okay, I've worked up the courage to show off my very non-historical piece.
Nearly all of it I made myself, too:

Poldugarian Warrior

NefariousDrO , I've seen you at MiRF, I have to say that armor is very cool. it's much like the dragon hunter armor, from Dragonheart, but better and if you are hunting dragons with feathers which who knows I think there coudl be dragons with feathers. You have curious weapons too, they look like those Japanese/Chinese hook like weapons, I believe they're called Kamas. Nonetheless your armor is almost like something a warrior shaman would wear, so not so entirely non-historic. Great Job.

madmanpsu

Nefarious,

That is some pretty cool looking armor.  It may not be historical, but if you like it that is the best thing.  I see alot of non-historical or fantasy armor at faires and most of it doesn't look nearly as good, so great job!

NefariousDrO

Thanks! The scales are all resin, I cast them in a silicone-rubber mold I made, the claws are also resin with a very small amount of water so that it foams when it sets. The head-gear is all leather. The concept came a little bit from Aztec/Mayan feathered serpent myths.

Poldugarian Warrior

Resin is risky, it's strong if thick enough, but can be brittle. That's pretty neat, I thought the whole of your armor was leather. Thanks for the info.

bran_gray

Bought my armor back in January and finally took some time to get a few pictures taken.  Wanted to ask the advice of a few people here who are more informed about armor as well.

You'll notice large unprotected spots and that is something I was aiming for.  Mobility was a bigger concern than complete protection on this setup.  I love the way it all fits but I do need to find something to hold these silly straps down because they do flap a bit much.

With the way my pauldrons are set up is there is a strap to hold it onto my arm.  Any suggestions on how I can wear a sleeveless shirt?

Poldugarian Warrior

Looks quite good, the same idea as mine, protect only the most vulnerable spots and provide mobility. I like the design, and color. The brown and green compliment each other quite well, as will any primary color shirt. The straps flopping about can only be handled by putting small straps as you would see on a waist belt around the main strap, and looping the remaining hanging part through it just like a belt worn around the waist. But, on a smaller scale. I don't know about sleeveless you may run into chafing concerns, but maybe a short sleeved shirt would do. You could also create straps running from the pauldrons to the straps holding up your cuirass, and attach them with Chicago screws or rivets, so that you won't have to tie your pauldrons on. Next idea, would be a design of your liking on the cuirass if your into that styling.  The greaves and foot armor are very good as well. So your an axeman/woodsman, now you need a helmet, or just an arming cap, and you'll be complete. Good work.