News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bran_gray

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on August 12, 2010, 12:36:07 AM
Looks quite good, the same idea as mine, protect only the most vulnerable spots and provide mobility. I like the design, and color. The brown and green compliment each other quite well, as will any primary color shirt. The straps flopping about can only be handled by putting small straps as you would see on a waist belt around the main strap, and looping the remaining hanging part through it just like a belt worn around the waist. But, on a smaller scale. I don't know about sleeveless you may run into chafing concerns, but maybe a short sleeved shirt would do. You could also create straps running from the pauldrons to the straps holding up your cuirass, and attach them with Chicago screws or rivets, so that you won't have to tie your pauldrons on. Next idea, would be a design of your liking on the cuirass if your into that styling.  The greaves and foot armor are very good as well. So your an axeman/woodsman, now you need a helmet, or just an arming cap, and you'll be complete. Good work.

I have enough knowledge bumps on my head a helmet isn't going to do much good in protecting hehe.  Nothing left to save!  As to the pauldron straps I was thinking about lining the insides with a thin layer of something soft.  Would like to stick with natural fibers because I've fallen in love with how well they breathe.  I plan on changing the bracers out as well since they are a bit to tough for comfortable wear.  May try and find either a similar brown coloring or black half bracers with buckles (I'm spoiled).

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, maybe some hare's fur or even coyote to line them, but use very thin strips, unless you don't mind the archaic look of fur. There's nothing wrong with fur just saying if you want to make it look renaissance use it sparingly. I'd say keep the color brown, not trying to sway your decision from black just because I wear black armor, but the brown looks good. I see where you'd want to go with shorter bracers yours are a bit long, maybe just cut down the existing ones you have or use leather softening agents they may make them easier to wear and the leather will flex just enough to be comfortable, and set them up with buckles. And believe me buckles are the way to go. I have the lace-up type and I struggle with them evrytime. But, they'd look goofy now with all the holes if I got buckles for them. Well, good luck hope these additional tips help.

robert of armstrong

Bran Gray, your stuff looks great.  Another brother to the world of brown leather armor.  I agree with the P.W. on at least two accounts -
First, keep you bracers, and either trim them down, or have them trimmed, the cost should be nothing near a new set, and what you have looks like it is tooled with lines than run the length, to match those in your greaves.  They look great together.  You can take the trimmed bracers to a goalie equipment repair place and they will rivet straps with buckles onto the bracers for you.  I did it with a pair here in Barrie (Ontario) but its pricey, $25 per strap set; the three straps and buckles cost me $75.

Second, stay away from wearing formed leather armor over bare skin.  You will either chafe yourself into submission, or through the day your sweat will cause the dye to run and you will have an uneven instant tan in areas of your shoulders and upper arms.  Not a good look
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

robert of armstrong

Finally got a few shots of my new helm up.  These are from my trip to Sterling's opening weekend.

A candid, on my way for a turkey leg:

Me with my buddy, Brent.  He got a new helm too.

A close up of the detailing on the jaw pieces of mine:

And a side shot of Brent's dragon wings

bran_gray

Those helms look awesome!

And this coming from a person who has never really liked helmets or hats of any kind.  I think I will take your advice on getting the bracers trimmed down.  I am just south of Houston so finding a shop of some kind that does leather repairs or modifications shouldn't be a problem.

As to the leather dye giving me an uneven tan I know exactly what you're talking about.  I think that I'll have to do is go shopping for a new shirt when I go to TRF later on this year.  Something close to a modern day t-shirt that will cover up the upper portion of my arms but keep it free enough I won't sweat myself to death in this lovely Texas heat.

Poldugarian Warrior

Those helms, just look mean. Inpenetrable to say the least with all those rivets. Very nice work. Also, I found I've worn my bracers without sleeves and I never had problems with chafing, but the sweat seeps into the leather and creates a stench, which then must be cleaned with saddle soap and polish. A minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless. So yes, always cover the bare skin.

robert of armstrong

Quote from: bran_gray on August 26, 2010, 01:40:49 PM
I think that I'll have to do is go shopping for a new shirt when I go to TRF later on this year.  Something close to a modern day t-shirt that will cover up the upper portion of my arms but keep it free enough I won't sweat myself to death in this lovely Texas heat.

I wear a variety of Nike Dryfit, CoolMax and other similar long sleeve shirts in black under my armor, but the maille covers my upper body and arms down to the forearm, then overlap my bracers so that the shirts are always covered by a layer of something and are not obvious.

The maille really protects me from the chaffing of the leather, and gives me a layer so that when I sweat, the leather isn't touching me and doesn't get wet and the dye run.  The shirt then protects me from the maille so I don't get skin pinches or arm hairs torn out- the rings are butted, not welded (that would be nice) or riveted (oooh, I wish!!).

The black also gives the grey/silver of the maille something of a background to stand out against.  It wouldn't do to have a t-shirt sleeve hanging down out of the end of the armour, and the maille solves this nicely, while completing the look, and I think looking AWESOME at the same time, but not everyone is willing to use this 60-65 pound solution.

Poldugarian Warrior

I'm with you, I bought a gambeson to go under my maille, and I don't regret it. A bit warm but well worth it, especially after wearing the maile and armor all day. It helps cusion your body from the weight of the armor.

crashbot

Rather lousey iphone pick from TRF last weekend. I has just closed the van door and turned towards the camera.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Poldugarian Warrior

Good looking armor though, very basic, just like soemthing you'd see in an illuminated manuscript well done.

crashbot

Thanks. The some of those manuscripts, sagas,  and Bayeux Tapestry have been a huge help. Although, I added some non h/a stuff because I like it better  :D

I am looking to add some torso protection when I have some spare change to drop. Not sure if I want to get ring or lamellar.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Poldugarian Warrior

Depends on what part of Europe your character is from, or what type of warrior you wish to emulate. If Central and Eastern Europe go with lamellar. If from any other part of western Europe go with ring. I just read a Osprey book on Medieval Polish Armies and most lamellar was from the eastern parts of Europe. Both types are quite expensive, but one is more comfortable to wear than the other. I think even if you just kept with the chain-mail you'd be quite in period.

L Dale Walter

New joust armor, which will be used in the Knights of Iron joust at the Silver Leaf Renaissance Faire in 2011

Close up

We can't wait!  Hope to see you there!

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

ALS

Dale, nice rig, who's the maker? I don't know if it was designed to do so but historically the gorget is worn under the breast and back plate like this http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=2237&fullsize=1 and this http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=2238&fullsize=1