News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo Thread for Our Armored Personas

Started by Chris B, April 23, 2009, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Dale Walter

The armor was made by Andre Sinou's team at Icefalcon armory.  We had just got the armor, and were experimenting with gorget/cuirasse combinations, to determine best movement, and to cover the holes in the left side for grand guard and buff.  We have determined that under is not only correct historically, but works better.  HOWEVER, on a late 15th century kit, there really shouldn't be a gorget at all, but some allowances are made for safety.

We also pulled the cuirasse higher on the body to allow for better waist movement on the horse.  We are now working with arming doublets to determine if attaching pauldrons to gorget (it has tabs to do so) or going right to the arming points on the doublet works better.  Additional strapping has been added on the cuisses, as the knees were gaping (as shown in the picture).  Other straps were trimmed as they were left long for fitting.

We kind of rushed these pictures, but needed some for a promo package.  Next set will be more exacting, but these are cool, I think!

ALS

Hey Dale, Andre does great work and his rep is rock solid. You're correct in large part about the gorget. I seen two very late ( 1490-1500 ) original gothic suits disassembled into constituent parts that had a simple base plate gorget without neck lames seemingly used to do nothing more than hang pauldrons from rather than pointing and theres this harness http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=1967&fullsize=1 a late 15th century Italian export example that you can see the gorget under the bevor. I've seen perhaps two other examples that I can remember and all were like this one very late. The norm for most all of the century was a maille standard, or bevor, or wrap plate in the case of an armet without neck/gorget lames.

Andre's work speaks for itself, you should still be beating the daylights out of this harness in ten years.

robert of armstrong

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

L Dale Walter

Thanks Robert!  You will have to make it out to Silver Leaf to see us joust this season.  It's going to be great!

Dale

L Dale Walter

And mounted

I have armor for Brenin as well, but I have not adjusted all of the straps for it yet, so he just had a saddle on.  We also have comparisons coming for all of the horses in the show, but they are in production.

Brenin is an amazing horse.  In my opinion, he is the perfect joust mount.  Not too tall, not too short, heavily muscled, moves like the wind, and LOVES hitting things!  His only problem is that right now, with his fuzzy fuzzy winter coat, he looks like a yak!

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

Poldugarian Warrior

I just saw the joust at Silverleaf this year, pretty good show even though I only caught a bit of it. The armor looks awesome, and as far as being historically accurate, it looks fine to me. And the wearing of the gorget in or out should be up to the person wearing the armor. I would think most warriors wear their armor as most comfortable as a fashion to facilitate it's use for protection and still be able to move fluidly enough to perform combat duties. All in all, hope to see you this year at Silverleaf.

ALS

QuoteAnd the wearing of the gorget in or out should be up to the person wearing the armor.

Surely agree with that my only point was that historically it seems to have been pretty much concluded that under was the most comfortable and protective http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=2237&fullsize=1 http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=2238&fullsize=1 http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=4296&fullsize=1 http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=1896&fullsize=1 http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/displayimage.php?pid=1206&fullsize=1
and perhaps it might be more comfortable for Dale. There were several reasons for wearing it under protection being one and the one even more pertinant for Dale given his application for use. If the gorget is worn above the point of a weapon, in this case a lance and then depending on how thw ground show is done swords and possibly axes can get beneath the gorget base plates allowing access to the now unprotected neck, when the gorget is worn under this possible " opening " in the defense is removed. Second, the gorget often acted as the attachement point for shoulder defenses and arm harness, with the gorget above the breast plate this plateform for attachement can move around causing both arm and shoulder defenses to shift around in undesirable ways. With the gorget under the breast plate the weight of the B&B plates via thier straps running across the gorget base plates keeps the gorget in position and this the arm and shoulder defenses. Having maintained the armour for the jousting company that does the Sterling faire for 9 seasons from '97 to '05 when we had a booth there under the B&B plates was the ubiquitous method all thier guys used so I kinda figured they might have found that to work best for modern jousting applications. Can't speak to walking around the faire as they didn't do that in harness for the show.

L Dale Walter

The gorget is actually being redone, as it just wasn't working in either capacity, over or under.  Kept choking us.  Our pauldrons (shoulders) can attach to either the gorget, or the arming doublet.  The vambraces (arm armor) attaches to the arming doublet.

We also have a buff that bolts to the front of the armor if we want more neck protection.

Our jousts have no ground fighting component.  Our belief is that people came to see jousting, so that is what we give them.

We are also NOT the group that did the jousting at Silver Leaf last year.  That was Charlie Andrews's Knights of Mayhem.

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

ALS

Dale, is the gorget riding up say when the arms are raised and causing the issue or is it causing a problem regardless of the position of the body/arms?

L Dale Walter

Gorget is a problem no matter what we do.  It's just too high.

Andre has the armor back and is correcting the problem.  I think in the goal of providing really complete protection we got a little too complete, and movement got compromised.  Back in a week or so and all will be well...

LDW

ALS

I see in your initial pic of the harness that the front and back neck lames aren't latched together. I'm wondering how thick the articulating leathers for these two lames are. Sometimes the articulating leathers can take some time to break in and can cause discomfort until they do so.Once borken in they become nice and squishy. Andre will sort it out for you. His rep is sterling.

L Dale Walter

Movement on the leathers is fine.  It's just that the gorget wasn't flexing quite right.  Andre is fixing it to the way we want it to work.  No worries.  He is first class!

LDW

Archer

Some great pics in this thread.

This one is courtesy of Angus Macinnes.

The great helm, shield, best sword and axe were at home, resting.
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Poldugarian Warrior

I don't blame you, chain mail and great helms get hot and heavy. But, nonetheless I can still tell your a night, just on leave for the moment, nice pic.

Archer

2012 version.
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.