News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Avoiding heat Stroke at Faire

Started by DonaCatalina, April 24, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Since the weather is truning decidedly warmer It's probably time to discuss heatstroke.
First and foremost don't push yourself too hard and drink plenty of water.

Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical and neurological symptoms. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated.

Symptoms of heat stroke can sometimes mimic those of heart attack or other conditions. Sometimes a person experiences symptoms of heat exhaustion before progressing to heat strokes.

Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

nausea,

vomiting,

fatigue,

weakness,

headache,

muscle cramps and aches, and

dizziness.
=============================================================
Cooling measures that may be effective include:

cool, non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages, as directed by your physician

rest

cool shower, bath, or sponge bath

an air-conditioned environment

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Dinobabe

EXCELLENT adivice!  Thank you DonaCatalina.
Let's not let anyone get that far.  Always be on the look out for early symptons in yourself and others.  And as stated drink water, rest, and take advantage of the front seat at the Washing Well Wenches show! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Queen Bonnie

It is also not good to not eat when it is hot. Try to eat a little something light and easily digested. Drink lots of water.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Adriana Rose

WATER WATER WATER!! alcohol does NOT count!

Shade too! parasols are pretty and very functonal!

For my crew at my shop I keep some gatoraide for them to drink, it has all the goodies that your body needs.  If you cant take a bottle of gatoraide those Emergan-C packets fit in your pouch really nicely. That has the same kinda stuff that gatoraide has

We also have found when you are in a pinch the pickle guy is willing to part with a tankard of juice. Its a great pick me up!

And remember passing out because you overheat is NOT fun!

Trillium

Alcohol is a big no-no!
Drink lots of cool water, but not too cold.  Flooding your body with ice water when you are on the verge of a heat sickness can send you into shock.
Also, eating something salty will help you feel better as you will sweat all the salt out of your body.  Pickles, chips, etc. will be a huge help.
Don't overdress and avoid  man-made fabrics (polyester, nylon, etc..)
Got faerie dust?

Var Greyshadow

Ice cubes on the wrists are good for a quick cool-down.  I've been known to shove a few up under my bracers.  It helps some.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Muffin

Water, Water, Water!! I know I am one to forget to mix in a few bottles of water during a faire day! (and no Sitara my beer does not count as water.. *ppbbbttt* :P)

A bodice chiller can be a wench's best friend!! Even better if you can find a pirate to run off in the heat to refill the ice for you!!  :-*

If I feel like I am getting close to fainting I try to find a rag I can dip in cold water and drape around my neck for a bit and sit in the shade, this usually brings me back around..
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Sitara

I don't know about that Muffin.  Pretty sure light beer is water with yellow food coloring in it!

I like to use ice or a cold wash cloth on the wrists, neck and back of knees.  It also helps to remove your footwear or wear sandals.  Hiding in the walk-in cooler is nice but a tad overwhelming to go from 98 degree heat to a 40 degree cooler.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Celtic_Fae

Those migraine patches they sell at CVS and the like also help. I tried them out the last weekend, and between the cool and the menthol scent, it kept me from fading off under all my court garb. Plus, you can stick them in a cooler and then stick them on under your clothes with no one being any the wiser.

tcindie

I drink a mug or two of pickle juice interspersed with water all day on the scorchers.. the salt in the pickle brine ensures that you'll keep absorbing the water. It takes a little getting used to, but it's an easy solution :)

GirlChris

Oooo... I'll just stick to eating the ginormous pickles, thanks. And pretzels. And kettle corn!

Dangit... now I want kettle corn...

Sitara

Pickle juice is also a great hangover remedy.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

cowgrrl

One of the guys last year at faire recommended alternating Gatorade & water or drinking a 50/50 mix of Gatorade & water.  I prefer Gatorade to water but make myself alternate which actually means I drink more because I suck down the water so I can have more Gatorade.  I believe you can get little packets of electrolyte flavoring to add to bottled water. 
Most faires I know will give you a cup of water if you ask so ask frequently!
Also, & this may get me banned from the boards  ;) but when its really hot I plan on not going garbed or dressing as a bellydancer rather than something that requires my bodice.  I know my limits & respect them. 

SirRichardBear

I put a couple of piece of ice in my scottish bonnet below the fold its helps keep the head cool.  Have to be careful about placement so it doesn't get to cold or drips down the neck.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Master James

Being on cast at VARF and a member of court, its a daily battle to avoid being overheated.  I have however found something that works great in helping to keep one cool: http://www.50degree.com/custom/index.cfm?ID=37974  I wear a tall hat and simply own 2 of these little beauties with velcro on them and in the hat.  They can be recharged in ice water in about 10 minutes or so.  Put one in the hat and because its velcroed in it won't fall out or hit your head but its like your personal a/c in there.  Even on brutal days it stays cool for a while.  A typical day in the 80-95 degree day, it stays cool for about 2-3 hours.  On a brutal day of 95+ and that includes the 2 days we had last year at 110+, they lasted about an hour.  These are not the end all be all to avoid overheating but they sure do help and are easily hidden in the hat.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51