The Squire's Tavern > Squire's Tavern

Avoiding heat Stroke at Faire

(1/26) > >>

DonaCatalina:
Since the weather is truning decidedly warmer It's probably time to discuss heatstroke.
First and foremost don't push yourself too hard and drink plenty of water.

Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical and neurological symptoms. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated.

Symptoms of heat stroke can sometimes mimic those of heart attack or other conditions. Sometimes a person experiences symptoms of heat exhaustion before progressing to heat strokes.

Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

nausea,

vomiting,

fatigue,

weakness,

headache,

muscle cramps and aches, and

dizziness.
=============================================================
Cooling measures that may be effective include:

cool, non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages, as directed by your physician

rest

cool shower, bath, or sponge bath

an air-conditioned environment

Dinobabe:
EXCELLENT adivice!  Thank you DonaCatalina.
Let's not let anyone get that far.  Always be on the look out for early symptons in yourself and others.  And as stated drink water, rest, and take advantage of the front seat at the Washing Well Wenches show! ;)

Queen Bonnie:
 It is also not good to not eat when it is hot. Try to eat a little something light and easily digested. Drink lots of water.

Adriana Rose:
WATER WATER WATER!! alcohol does NOT count!

Shade too! parasols are pretty and very functonal!

For my crew at my shop I keep some gatoraide for them to drink, it has all the goodies that your body needs.  If you cant take a bottle of gatoraide those Emergan-C packets fit in your pouch really nicely. That has the same kinda stuff that gatoraide has

We also have found when you are in a pinch the pickle guy is willing to part with a tankard of juice. Its a great pick me up!

And remember passing out because you overheat is NOT fun!

Trillium:
Alcohol is a big no-no!
Drink lots of cool water, but not too cold.  Flooding your body with ice water when you are on the verge of a heat sickness can send you into shock.
Also, eating something salty will help you feel better as you will sweat all the salt out of your body.  Pickles, chips, etc. will be a huge help.
Don't overdress and avoid  man-made fabrics (polyester, nylon, etc..)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version