News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Avoiding heat Stroke at Faire

Started by DonaCatalina, April 24, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras Elfwine

Stay in the shade as much as possible, wear loose fitting, comfortable garb that breaths, and most important, don't overdo the alcohol. Always have a bottle of water for every ale/cider/wine you drink, and don't over imbibe on the hooch.
Most faires probably do as Maryland does: The medical/EMT booth has several coolers of ice water they keep filled and cold all day, and its free for the taking, so you don't even have to buy water.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

DonaCatalina

One of the beverages that we have added to our Faire days is G2. It doesn't have the sugar overload of Gatorade and it helps keep those electrolytes in balance which plain water doesn't do as well.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aderin

Wow, thanks for the g2 info. Good to know! Always hated the sugar/meal part of gatoraid
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

captmarga

Here are some of my tips. 

Your garb should be of breathable fabrics to start with.  How to test?  Hold the fabric over your mouth, and breathe through your mouth.  If you can't breathe through it, the fabric isn't breathable.

Limit your layers if possible.  On truly hot days, leave off the greatcoat or oversleeves.

Grommet your hats to vent them.  Wear a wet rag under them if not, and keep it damp.  Take your hat off when you can to vent the heat.

Sunscreen.  Burned skin will make you hotter.

Under-Armor type clothing.  Cut the neck out and wear it under your normal layers.  It can help!

Hydration - if it tastes good (Gatorade/powerade/pickle juice) you probably need it.  Superhydrate during the week, as we all know how we HATE to go pee in costume. 

For every tankard or mug-ful of non-water, have one of water.  Save the beer or mead for later in the day, and then in moderation.  It dehydrates you faster!

Ice or cool rags on your neck, wrists, and head.  Ladies, a cigar tube with cool water down the cleavage can do wonders, but ASK FIRST, because some people cannot handle the temp change.  Don't just pour cold water on someone unless you ask or are directed to in a life-threatening situation where their temp must be lowered rapidly.

Find a spot with a breeze to let your skirts air for a bit - gents, remove your coat or loose the laces on your jerkin.  Loosen your belt for a few minutes.

Eat light!

Stay healthy at faire!!!

Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Aderin

as someone who, while working faire, almost went to the ER for OVER-hydrating, make sure you eat salty foods!! water alone will just make you sick from over-hydrating your cells. I started to feel DRUNK and WOOZY and I had to go to the medic tent. EVEN THEY tried to give me more water. I ended up getting it out of my system (albeit unpleasantly) but thank goodness I did because I survived (thanks to friends and saltine crackers):) Haha, I'll never forget my neighbors reaction to me coming home, falling down to the grass in my front yard and vomitting like crazy in my robin-hood costume. Don;t see that everyday. Shoulda been on youtube! haha

Lady Renee Buchanan

Last year at the Janesville RF, it was insanely hot for  mid-May.  So bad that we only went to 1 show and spent most of the day sitting at a picnic table in the shade.

One of the vendors had a couple of women working.  We struck up a conversation about the heat, and the mentioned that when it's really hot out, they always go as pirates.  When I asked them why, the said.  They wear a pirate bandana under their hats, and they soak the bandana in cold water first.  Nobody notices that the bandana is wet.  I tried it later in the summer, and it really worked!

I am also a fan of the wet towel around the neck.  We say that I am the best dressed lady in dish towel!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on May 23, 2013, 09:00:24 PM
Last year at the Janesville RF, it was insanely hot for  mid-May.  So bad that we only went to 1 show and spent most of the day sitting at a picnic table in the shade.

One of the vendors had a couple of women working.  We struck up a conversation about the heat, and the mentioned that when it's really hot out, they always go as pirates.  When I asked them why, the said.  They wear a pirate bandana under their hats, and they soak the bandana in cold water first.  Nobody notices that the bandana is wet.  I tried it later in the summer, and it really worked!

I am also a fan of the wet towel around the neck.  We say that I am the best dressed lady in dish towel!

Thanks so much for the bandana trick. WOuld not have thought of that myself!

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Orphena on July 24, 2012, 08:24:05 AM
As this is one of the hottest summers - a great review. Thanks for all the tips!

I wanted to share with you all a way to create your own neck coolers - for those of you wanting to save money (Even if it is only shipping) - or wanting to match your garb. These can also be shaped to be used on whatever part of your body required. It requires some simple sewing - but all the seams are straight, so it is the easiest type of sewing. I will give detailed instructions for the neck roller, and allow you to modify based on need for other parts of the body!

You will need fabric, and "water beads" - available in craft stores in the floral department, or dollar stores, or even places like Walmart. These are tiny pellets that expand when you put them in water, often used for decoration in vases. Here is a link that shows them - please note I do not endorse this company - I have never used them, it was just the first google result! http://waterbeads.net/shop/

Take a rectangle of fabric - 100% cotton or linen is best, but even a cotton poly blend will work. (In a pinch, you can use a bandana - just make sure it is long enough!) Your rectangle should be about 14 - 18 inches by 4 or 5 inches. (If anyone who tries this wants to modify the measurements, feel free - I am currently away from my measuring tapes and fabric!). Sew the 2 long sides together, making a seam. You now have a long tube. Flip it inside out so that the seam is on the inside, then sew ONE end together. Insert about a teaspoon (rough estimate!) of water bead pellets into the fabric, measure about 2 or 3 inches up, and sew another seam from one long edge directly across to the other long edge. Repeat until you get to the end, sewing compartments with pellets in them, finally closing the end. This will keep your water beads well distributed. When you want to use it, soak in ice water for about 30 minutes or so. The pellets will expand, soaking up the ice water. Drape around your neck, and you will stay cool for several hours. Keep a couple in the bottom of a cooler to soak up all that ice melt and change as necessary!

We use these at our Pirate Festival in August, and it keeps people nice and refreshed. A word of warning, however - they do tend to leak a bit, so try it out before you do this with garb. I prefer NOT to use this when in noble, but m'lord does enjoy it on some occasions! Just thought I would present a DIY solution for those who wanted!

Bumping your neck cooler post:  I made a couple of these and they are soooo easy, I tested them and they work fine, though I have yet to actually use them in the field, since it has not been that hot yet here.

Additional Notes:  After you make the bands only use a scant 1/4 teaspoon of the smallest hydro beads you can find (Hobby lobby floral) in each 1.5"x3" compartment.  They will barely cover the bottom seam of each compartment.  They get BIG.
  If you have any doubts about how large they get-place a couple in a cup of water and come back in an hour (they grow to about marble size). 
   A package costs 2.99 and contains about a tablespoon of dry beads. More than enough for 2-3 neck coolers.

I made my 'test' band from scraps in my rag bag, fashioned 5 compartments and added beads to each before sewing shut, and soaked it for an hour.  It was firm, tight and full of water, with just the few beads I used.

Added bonus: You can blot them almost dry before use!  The beads do not leak water and the cover is all that really gets wet when soaking in ice water. 
    If you use a thin cotton, it will air dry in a few minutes, but the water packed beads stay cold.   If you want one for later-get one of those freezable wine bottle sleeves (Target and HyVee)  and keep them cold in that. If they are dry before stowing, then they will be dry and cool when you need them.   No water stains!

I hung my tester up with a clothespin to observe the aftermath.
   After about 5 days the beads had returned to their previous tiny size, and according to the package, you can use them over and over.
   I would hang them up to dry them to prevent algae formation, but the package also states they can be rinsed off if they get dirty (like in a vase) so I figure if you wash them off after each use, you are good to go.
   They pretty much have an indefinite life span, and only cost maybe .50 to .75 cents to make.

Thank you Orphena!

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Aderin

^ sensational idea! I'm avid to try it!

StilettoWolf

I'm tempted to make all our pirates new neck bandanas now.

darkranger

I understand the need for water...but food, water,rest, and lots  of training. Just listen to your body and have fun.... for me its 2 or3 beers then slash of water, hang out in the pubs a cool off. ::)
Pathfinder,,FOKTOP

StilettoWolf

Random. But something I used to do as a belly dancer when we had summer performances at arts festivals on black top asphalt streets. I would chill a few cans of spicy hot v8 and  add one of the to go salt packets to it and drink that over ice once or twice a day. Kept my salt intake in good measure and the veggies helped with potassium and other good electrolytes. And it's pretty refreshing. Plus the little cans are very light and can fit in anyone's hip bag or skirt pocket.

Rowan MacD

!!! Bumping this post again-Heat advisories in the Midwest!! Temps in the 90's and humid!
  I just made a green satin version of this 'tie-style' neck cooler to match my garb, I'll be carrying a cold sleeve in my basket to re-cool it.

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 29, 2013, 01:26:24 PM
Quote from: Orphena on July 24, 2012, 08:24:05 AM
As this is one of the hottest summers - a great review. Thanks for all the tips!

I wanted to share with you all a way to create your own neck coolers - for those of you wanting to save money (Even if it is only shipping) - or wanting to match your garb. These can also be shaped to be used on whatever part of your body required. It requires some simple sewing - but all the seams are straight, so it is the easiest type of sewing. I will give detailed instructions for the neck roller, and allow you to modify based on need for other parts of the body!

You will need fabric, and "water beads" - available in craft stores in the floral department, or dollar stores, or even places like Walmart. These are tiny pellets that expand when you put them in water, often used for decoration in vases. Here is a link that shows them - please note I do not endorse this company - I have never used them, it was just the first google result! http://waterbeads.net/shop/

Take a rectangle of fabric - 100% cotton or linen is best, but even a cotton poly blend will work. (In a pinch, you can use a bandana - just make sure it is long enough!) Your rectangle should be about 14 - 18 inches by 4 or 5 inches. (If anyone who tries this wants to modify the measurements, feel free - I am currently away from my measuring tapes and fabric!). Sew the 2 long sides together, making a seam. You now have a long tube. Flip it inside out so that the seam is on the inside, then sew ONE end together. Insert about a teaspoon (rough estimate!) of water bead pellets into the fabric, measure about 2 or 3 inches up, and sew another seam from one long edge directly across to the other long edge. Repeat until you get to the end, sewing compartments with pellets in them, finally closing the end. This will keep your water beads well distributed. When you want to use it, soak in ice water for about 30 minutes or so. The pellets will expand, soaking up the ice water. Drape around your neck, and you will stay cool for several hours. Keep a couple in the bottom of a cooler to soak up all that ice melt and change as necessary!

We use these at our Pirate Festival in August, and it keeps people nice and refreshed. A word of warning, however - they do tend to leak a bit, so try it out before you do this with garb. I prefer NOT to use this when in noble, but m'lord does enjoy it on some occasions! Just thought I would present a DIY solution for those who wanted!

Bumping your neck cooler post:  I made a couple of these and they are soooo easy, I tested them and they work fine, though I have yet to actually use them in the field, since it has not been that hot yet here.

Additional Notes:  After you make the bands only use a scant 1/4 teaspoon of the smallest hydro beads you can find (Hobby lobby floral) in each 1.5"x3" compartment.  They will barely cover the bottom seam of each compartment.  They get BIG.
  If you have any doubts about how large they get-place a couple in a cup of water and come back in an hour (they grow to about marble size). 
   A package costs 2.99 and contains about a tablespoon of dry beads. More than enough for 2-3 neck coolers.

I made my 'test' band from scraps in my rag bag, fashioned 5 compartments and added beads to each before sewing shut, and soaked it for an hour.  It was firm, tight and full of water, with just the few beads I used.

Added bonus: You can blot them almost dry before use!  The beads do not leak water and the cover is all that really gets wet when soaking in ice water. 
    If you use a thin cotton, it will air dry in a few minutes, but the water packed beads stay cold.   If you want one for later-get one of those freezable wine bottle sleeves (Target and HyVee)  and keep them cold in that. If they are dry before stowing, then they will be dry and cool when you need them.   No water stains!

I hung my tester up with a clothespin to observe the aftermath.
   After about 5 days the beads had returned to their previous tiny size, and according to the package, you can use them over and over.
   I would hang them up to dry them to prevent algae formation, but the package also states they can be rinsed off if they get dirty (like in a vase) so I figure if you wash them off after each use, you are good to go.
   They pretty much have an indefinite life span, and only cost maybe .50 to .75 cents to make.

Thank you Orphena!

IWG wench #3139 

DonaCatalina

Quote from: captmarga on May 20, 2013, 08:27:12 PM
Here are some of my tips. 

Your garb should be of breathable fabrics to start with.  How to test?  Hold the fabric over your mouth, and breathe through your mouth.  If you can't breathe through it, the fabric isn't breathable.

Limit your layers if possible.  On truly hot days, leave off the greatcoat or oversleeves.

Grommet your hats to vent them.  Wear a wet rag under them if not, and keep it damp.  Take your hat off when you can to vent the heat.

Sunscreen.  Burned skin will make you hotter.

Under-Armor type clothing.  Cut the neck out and wear it under your normal layers.  It can help!

Hydration - if it tastes good (Gatorade/powerade/pickle juice) you probably need it.  Superhydrate during the week, as we all know how we HATE to go pee in costume. 

For every tankard or mug-ful of non-water, have one of water.  Save the beer or mead for later in the day, and then in moderation.  It dehydrates you faster!

Ice or cool rags on your neck, wrists, and head.  Ladies, a cigar tube with cool water down the cleavage can do wonders, but ASK FIRST, because some people cannot handle the temp change.  Don't just pour cold water on someone unless you ask or are directed to in a life-threatening situation where their temp must be lowered rapidly.

Find a spot with a breeze to let your skirts air for a bit - gents, remove your coat or loose the laces on your jerkin.  Loosen your belt for a few minutes.

Eat light!

Stay healthy at faire!!!

Marga
Just a word of warning- The original Gatorade may be too high in sugar and starch for a lot of people. There are now oodles of alternatives with less sugar... G2, Sobe and Vitamin Water.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

We only drink water at faire when the temps are over 80.
I just finished 3 more neck coolers from scraps of white linen, and blue cotton.   I will bring a 6 pack cooler with ice to soak them in.
IWG wench #3139