News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Avoiding heat Stroke at Faire

Started by DonaCatalina, April 24, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Gryphon

I just ordered us two neck rolls one in white and one in tan, two pair of memory foam inserts for our boots and an cold pack, which I always need after a day at fair.  They take PayPal, so this is good.  I'll let you all know what I think.

But don't forget the Pedialyte powder you can get at wal-mart.  Little packets you can put in your pouch and mix in a bottle of water.  Best stuff ever recommended to me.  I have them in our garb box.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

daggrim

Great link, thanks.  I'm gonna order some neck thingies for me and my helpers.
A merry heart has a continual feast.

Adriana Rose

Those cool wraps work great! If you can wrap them around your middle to get your core heat down, or if your in a bodice around your leg just above the knee to get cooled down that way.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Gryphon on July 30, 2011, 05:30:24 PM
I just ordered us two neck rolls one in white and one in tan...They take PayPal, so this is good.  I'll let you all know what I think.
How long does it take to get these?  Let us know as soon as you try them out.  I will be ordering at least 5 if you say they are worth it!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

dreamwalker

Yeah for hotter Faires leek Scarby dress in a couple light flowly layers. Lay off the soda, stick to water but ok to grab a coke on your way out. Try to sit in the sahde make frequent breaks etc. Last time I was a Scarby they had what looked like a human "car wash" misty thing for cooling off.

On the other side of things; Cold Faires like TRF and Sherwood layering and staying dry in the key. Microfibre cloaks are awesome things. I've worn up to 4 layers and still been cold. Had a cold, numb arse after sitting down to watch a show (and I'm not lacking for natural padding in that dept) I've worn modern half slips under under my chemise with gowns and full length kilts just for one more layer and I'm sure it helped a little. Probably adds to the effect when you walk (for ladies) and nobody can see it so noone is the wiser.

I'm guessing warm beverages leaded and unleaded are not going to hurt wither with the cold. 
Normal? What's that?

DonaCatalina

Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 24, 2009, 08:29:39 AM
Since the weather is truning decidedly warmer It's probably time to discuss heatstroke.
First and foremost don't push yourself too hard and drink plenty of water.

Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical and neurological symptoms. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated.

Symptoms of heat stroke can sometimes mimic those of heart attack or other conditions. Sometimes a person experiences symptoms of heat exhaustion before progressing to heat strokes.

Symptoms of heat exhaustion include:

nausea,

vomiting,

fatigue,

weakness,

headache,

muscle cramps and aches, and

dizziness.
=============================================================
Cooling measures that may be effective include:

cool, non-alcoholic, non-carbonated beverages, as directed by your physician

rest

cool shower, bath, or sponge bath

an air-conditioned environment
It is that time of year again.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Bumping this..Just about became a casualty the first faire of the season.  Unusually hot and humid, and we kept getting stopped on the way to shade and seating.   Fortunately, I knew the early symptoms, and excused myself to go sit and take some water.

Be careful!
IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

The best thing is to not get into the situation. That means, when it's really hot—or you're wearing a lot of garb—back off of the alcohol, if you're a drinker—and keep water with you at all times. Sip frequently.  Pinch the skin in the web of your thumb and forefinger (on the top of your hand). If it slowly returns, you are dehydrated and need water, at least, and possibly electrolytes.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

Yes, indeed.  One of the biggest reasons I don't usually drink at faire (the other being I am usually the DD).
IWG wench #3139 

kcdcchef

yeah it's why i amke all my visits to faire in the late fall. much cooler out.

Orphena

As this is one of the hottest summers - a great review. Thanks for all the tips!

I wanted to share with you all a way to create your own neck coolers - for those of you wanting to save money (Even if it is only shipping) - or wanting to match your garb. These can also be shaped to be used on whatever part of your body required. It requires some simple sewing - but all the seams are straight, so it is the easiest type of sewing. I will give detailed instructions for the neck roller, and allow you to modify based on need for other parts of the body!

You will need fabric, and "water beads" - available in craft stores in the floral department, or dollar stores, or even places like Walmart. These are tiny pellets that expand when you put them in water, often used for decoration in vases. Here is a link that shows them - please note I do not endorse this company - I have never used them, it was just the first google result! http://waterbeads.net/shop/

Take a rectangle of fabric - 100% cotton or linen is best, but even a cotton poly blend will work. (In a pinch, you can use a bandana - just make sure it is long enough!) Your rectangle should be about 14 - 18 inches by 4 or 5 inches. (If anyone who tries this wants to modify the measurements, feel free - I am currently away from my measuring tapes and fabric!). Sew the 2 long sides together, making a seam. You now have a long tube. Flip it inside out so that the seam is on the inside, then sew ONE end together. Insert about a teaspoon (rough estimate!) of water bead pellets into the fabric, measure about 2 or 3 inches up, and sew another seam from one long edge directly across to the other long edge. Repeat until you get to the end, sewing compartments with pellets in them, finally closing the end. This will keep your water beads well distributed. When you want to use it, soak in ice water for about 30 minutes or so. The pellets will expand, soaking up the ice water. Drape around your neck, and you will stay cool for several hours. Keep a couple in the bottom of a cooler to soak up all that ice melt and change as necessary!

We use these at our Pirate Festival in August, and it keeps people nice and refreshed. A word of warning, however - they do tend to leak a bit, so try it out before you do this with garb. I prefer NOT to use this when in noble, but m'lord does enjoy it on some occasions! Just thought I would present a DIY solution for those who wanted!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

mehan

Jeez, I have been waiting all spring/summer for this topic to come up again - hoping someone would bring up the dark yellow urine again so I could say  ((drum roll))

but my urine is always BLUE at faire  ::)

**ducks and runs for cover**

Docamor

WE have sworn by a product called Sqwencher's that is a hyped up version of Gatorade or Emergen-C.  It was developed for use in the Steel Mills of Pittsburgh and has a good taste, comes in a powder that can be mixed easily with water.  It helps restore the electrolytes.  On warm days I am almost never without water in my chalice, I have been known to pour it down my doublet, into my headgear, to help cool down.  The berry flavored Sqwenchers look a lot like wine!!   And the ice tea ones can bear a resemblance to some craft beers.  Some of our vendors keep bins with ice water handy backstage where we can literally put our entire foot(boots and all) in to cool off.  It feels wonderful.
Modo liceat vivere, est spes.

Rosie Nell

It gets dangerously hot down here in Texas, and I have no shade at the spot I work at TRF. I always kept Gatorade on hand, and drank enough to wet my mouth every few minutes. Another thing I did was on my lunch break I would get watermelon and chew on that most of the day. Something I learned in class for heat emergencies (and from having no air conditioning in my car) is to splash water on your skin and fan it. Especially in the neck and chest area. Cold packs in the chest, armpit and groin area will also help cool someone down.
Texas Renaissance Festivals one and only Cage Lady.

Aderin

all excellent ideas!

hydration is all about salt, salt, and more salt. You'll be thirst and craving water but that sweat is really comprised of a lot of salt! So balance your salt/water intake.

And yes, HEAT stroke will be inevitable unless you can keep yourself cool with shade, cold packs and ice. They are even making clothing that is designed to keep you cool at sporting good companies.
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.