News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Making a codpiece

Started by CaraGreenleaf, July 06, 2008, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaraGreenleaf

Ok, Ladies!! How do I make this loverly accessory? I'm failing to find a good pattern online, and I'm really hoping that our sewing queens can help me!

Any suggestions, please help!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Baroness Doune

Possible source for an online pattern:
http://www.mooharpist.net/trunkhosen4.html

Otherwise, these books will help:
Patterns of Fashion: The cut and construction of clothes for men and women c1560-1620 by Janet Arnold
The Tudor Tailor by Ninya Mikhaila and Jane Malcolm-Davies

If your local library does not have the above books in their stacks, try ILL.

Cobaltblu

You could ask the man you are making it for to model for you as you make a mock-up.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Sitara

I made a leather codpiece for my honey by wet molding leather on top of a plastic nut cup that is meant for use during sports.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

DonaCatalina

I am wondering how you would go about making this one.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DragonWing

:o  isn't he well packaged.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

captmarga

There are several different ways.

Easy one..

Cut a Heart  (like a valentine's heart) out of the fabric.  Cut it up the middle so you have two leaves.

Cut a strip of the same fabric about 2 1/2-3", sew between the two leaves, along the curved edge, down the bottom, and up the back again (inside out).   (Leave an open spot so you can stuff it). You should now have a cod-piece shaped bag. Turn right side out.   Stuff in some filler cotton batting, sew shut, and voila a quick and easy codpiece.

In some areas, it was literally just a tied-over flap.  Cut two pieces of fabric in a pocket shape.  Sew together inside out (leave the turn and stuff gap).  Turn, stuff, sew shut.   

Hope this helps,

Capt. Marga

Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Genievea Brookstone

Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods