News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilt wearing advice and kilt sources

Started by groomporter, May 17, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

I passed the info on to our friend Alan, and if he wants to spend between $400 - $800 for a kilt, I'm sure he will be very appreciative of the websites that you've provided.

I also gave him info on a Utilikilt, in case he was just looking for a solid color instead of a tartan kilt.  Don't know what he really wants, but I knew the RF members would give me the info I needed to pass on to him.

Thanks again!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

MacKee

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 30, 2009, 08:42:57 PM
I passed the info on to our friend Alan, and if he wants to spend between $400 - $800 for a kilt, I'm sure he will be very appreciative of the websites that you've provided.

I also gave him info on a Utilikilt, in case he was just looking for a solid color instead of a tartan kilt.  Don't know what he really wants, but I knew the RF members would give me the info I needed to pass on to him.

Thanks again!

What size does your friend wear? I ask because you mentioned Utilikilt...I have a black Sport Kilt that I probably will not wear that often if any.  I wore it once at Scarby, closing weekend.
The Order of Culloden Moor

groomporter

The Stillwater Kilts' black and dark charcoal "Nightstalker" tartan might be an interesting compromise if he wants something more subtle than a regular tartan, like a solid color, but cheaper than a utilikilt at $80.

I see Stillwater now has a solid black option now for only $52 in their economy kilt line.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: MacKee on July 30, 2009, 08:56:02 PM
Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 30, 2009, 08:42:57 PM

I also gave him info on a Utilikilt, in case he was just looking for a solid color instead of a tartan kilt.  Don't know what he really wants, but I knew the RF members would give me the info I needed to pass on to him.

Thanks again!

What size does your friend wear? I ask because you mentioned Utilikilt...I have a black Sport Kilt that I probably will not wear that often if any.  I wore it once at Scarby, closing weekend.

I don't know.  Alan is on the shorter slender side.  I'll keep this in mind if he should respond with any interest in the Utilikilt.  I'll renmail you if he wants further info.  Thanks so much.

Thanks, groomporter, I'll find out what he likes and pass that info onto him if he's looking for the darker colors.

I know he's not Scottish, but didn't know of his interest in a kilt, because he's never been to any faire, but there are a lot of kilt wearing men in our church, so perhaps he wants it for that.  Don't know yet, but I'll get as much info as he wants to tell me.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

MacKee

QuoteI know he's not Scottish, but didn't know of his interest in a kilt, because he's never been to any faire, but there are a lot of kilt wearing men in our church, so perhaps he wants it for that.  Don't know yet, but I'll get as much info as he wants to tell me.

Aye, then a universal Tartan are solid color. USA Kilts has a nice selection of Tartans that can worn by anyone, being scot or not. The Black Watch Tartan is especially popular.
The Order of Culloden Moor

Robert Phoenix

Sadly it seems that GreatScotShop is currently not doing anymore business over the internet.

winterland

Quote from: groomporter on July 30, 2009, 08:59:44 PM
The Stillwater Kilts' black and dark charcoal "Nightstalker" tartan might be an interesting compromise if he wants something more subtle than a regular tartan, like a solid color, but cheaper than a utilikilt at $80.

I see Stillwater now has a solid black option now for only $52 in their economy kilt line.

Thanks for the info. Never knew there was a kilt seller in the Minneapolis area.

groomporter

There's also the Celtic Croft in the Mpls area http://kilts-n-stuff.com A bit more expensive than Stillwater, but a larger range of tartans.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Elennare

Lots of great advice in this thread, but I didn't see what I was hoping to find. 

Does anyone know of good places to find kilt belts?  I've seen guys wearing these really cool wide belts, some with extra straps to hold things, with their kilts.  I asked one about it, and he said that it was a "kilt belt."  I want to get something like this for my husband, but all I can seem to find are belts that appear to be standard 1" wide leather belts like I can go find at Target, only these are labeled "kilt belts" and appear to cost more because of the name.

Can anyone help point me in a good place to find the sort of belt I had in mind?  Or, point out to me what I'm missing about these narrow belts that makes them specifically "kilt belts"?  If it makes any difference, the kilt he has is a Utilikilt.

Thanks!
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

angusmacinnes

There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

SirRichardBear

Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Zardoz

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Elennare

Thanks guys!

The link Sir Richard posted seems to be the sort of thing I had in mind.  I'll have my husband look at all of the links, though, to see what he likes best. :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Dragonlord

Ok, I have a question for the experienced kilt wearers.  Just received my first kilt from Stillwater Kilts and was wanting to wear it to fair this weekend.  The only problem is the leather I ordered to make the kilt belt hasn't arrived yet.  Would it be taboo or just look bad if I wore my ring belt to get by?

Seamus Ex Machina

Legendary Hellraiser