News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilt wearing advice and kilt sources

Started by groomporter, May 17, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julianne

A "wee" kilt?... ;)
No offense intended to ya duffy...but unless you are a little person.....uhm...mayhaps it's a handsome or bonny kilt?

Everyone should post a picture of their favorite kilt. :)

groomporter

I assumed he meant a "little" or modern kilt as opposed to a great kilt?  ???
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Julianne

I never thought of the modern kilt as "wee"...but verywell.

Just thought the words "wee kilt"...were funny ;D

duffy

its what they call a kilt with the pleats sewn in. its the name they used and made for it, not me :)

groomporter

No problem I've heard the term used elsewhere as well.

Tim T

I hit Stillwater Kilts website this evening and they will be closed from August 28 to September 8.  Nifty thing is, they will be offering FREE or reduced shipping during this down time.
http://www.stillwaterkilts.com/events.html

QuoteSWK will be CLOSED from August 28, 2008 until September 8, and we will not be shipping orders during this time.

Our website store will still be up and running, and you will be able to order as usual.

We will be offering the following discounts on Shipping while we are gone:

Orders placed on Aug. 28 thru Aug. 30 qualify for FREE Shipping

Orders placed on Aug. 31 thru Sept. 1 qualify for a 75% Discount on Shipping

Orders placed on Sept. 2 thru Sept. 3 qualify for a 50% Discount on Shipping

Orders placed on Sept. 4 thru Sept. 6 qualify for a 25% Discount on Shipping

Thought ya'll might be interested.

p.s. I'm not affiliated with Stillwater, just a satisfied customer.
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

Zaubon

Bloody wonderful!  >:( I ordered Sunday and paid $17.50 for shipping.

groomporter

I just sent this to Renaissance Magazine in response to the article in issue #64

As someone who has portrayed a Scottish character since before a "Highlander" was a TV cult I find the article on wearing a kilt rather disappointing. The nonsense about "wearing boxers under a kilt is like wearing a hat in the swimming pool" only serves to scare off some men from trying to wear a kilt. What you wear under a kilt should be what you are comfortable with, and is no one's business. More importantly, boxers, or bike shorts worn under a kilt can help prevent chafing in hot and humid weather and can make the experience even more comfortable. I submit the tips below as a possible supplement to the original article (see original post to this thread for the tips)

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: groomporter on December 08, 2008, 08:26:53 PM
I just sent this to Renaissance Magazine in response to the article in issue #64

As someone who has portrayed a Scottish character since before a "Highlander" was a TV cult I find the article on wearing a kilt rather disappointing. The nonsense about "wearing boxers under a kilt is like wearing a hat in the swimming pool" only serves to scare off some men from trying to wear a kilt. What you wear under a kilt should be what you are comfortable with, and is no one's business. More importantly, boxers, or bike shorts worn under a kilt can help prevent chafing in hot and humid weather and can make the experience even more comfortable. I submit the tips below as a possible supplement to the original article (see original post to this thread for the tips)

Well said good Sir! Well said!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Zardoz

Quote from: groomporter on June 22, 2008, 09:30:38 PM
We just got back from the Illinois Highland Games and have a fashion little advice for, how to put it delicately...
-for "Santa shaped" men?

This is meant with no malice (my wife was over 400 pounds before her gastric bypass), and I firmly believe even large men look good in kilts. This is merely meant to help you avoid stares, or giggles from impolite persons.

If you wear your sporran on a belt/chain that is separate from your kilt belt, Remember not to wear it too loose. If it hangs too low or loose the, chains of the sporran belt can end up "framing" and emphasizing the bulge of your lower belly and groin. For example, we saw a fairly handsome, but large, man in a very sharp pipe band uniform. Unfortunately, his horsehair sporran was hanging so low that the chains the belt were running down either side of his groin, and it made him look like he was 7 or 8 months pregnant.

I see that a lot, and I must admit I had to be careful not let the sporran strap hang too low myself in my "heavier days".   One solution are "Sporran Suspenders" like these; http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/sporran_acc.html  , they eliminate the sporran strap/chain altogether.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Jay Byrd

not Kilt related, but to the phrase the whole nine yard, I was told it is a military saying.  The amunition belts were nine yards long, so when returning to the deck of the aircraft carrier, to know if there was live ammo still on the plane they were asked how much did you shoot.  I shot the whole nine yards, meaning all of it.

groomporter

Yup that's one of the 20, or so possible explanations listed on this page http://tinyurl.com/26valx

Richard de Graeme

Quote from: Jay Byrd on December 09, 2008, 02:45:37 PM
not Kilt related, but to the phrase the whole nine yard, I was told it is a military saying.  The amunition belts were nine yards long, so when returning to the deck of the aircraft carrier, to know if there was live ammo still on the plane they were asked how much did you shoot.  I shot the whole nine yards, meaning all of it.

Similarly, I heard it is from the Boor War. the ammo belts were nine yards and they said, "Give 'um the whole nine yards!".
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Amras Elfwine

Quote from: groomporter on December 08, 2008, 08:26:53 PM

Bloody well said, Groomporter!! Huzzah!!!

Point of fact: The standard ammo belt for a Browning M2 model (and variants) 50-caliber machine gun was 9 yards long. The standard belts were used not only in bomber gun positions, but in fighters as well.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Jay Byrd

I have a kilt with the pleats sewn in, but want to get the fabric to make a great kilt.  Thanks for the info.  Most informative, makes me think I could do it right.