News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilt wearing advice and kilt sources

Started by groomporter, May 17, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryScottsman

One other thing.
If your going to wear a Tartan that is not yours have the decency to know the History of the Tartan so you dont look like a fool.

It burns me up when I ask about the Tartan they're wearing  and the response I get is "No I'm not a member of that Clan,I just liked the Color."

groomporter

Quote from: AngryScottsman on February 19, 2009, 02:45:54 PM
One other thing.
If your going to wear a Tartan that is not yours have the decency to know the History of the Tartan so you dont look like a fool.

It burns me up when I ask about the Tartan they're wearing  and the response I get is "No I'm not a member of that Clan,I just liked the Color."

Half the time at Renfairs I just wear a generic tartan anyway -or as someone from the local Scottish community calls it "mere checkered cloth"   ;)

So I usually answer that kind of question by explaining that tartans were not assigned to specific clans in the period we're portraying to try to clarify some of the myths around tartan and kilts.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

AngryScottsman

Quote from: groomporter on February 19, 2009, 05:43:01 PM
Quote from: AngryScottsman on February 19, 2009, 02:45:54 PM
One other thing.

Half the time at Renfairs I just wear a generic tartan anyway -or as someone from the local Scottish community calls it "mere checkered cloth"   ;)

So I usually answer that kind of question by explaining that tartans were not assigned to specific clans in the period we're portraying to try to clarify some of the myths around tartan and kilts.

I uderstand the theatrical part of it. I was talking more in general terms sorry.

groomporter

No worries, I occasionally suggest that people be a little more careful what they say or wear when attending things like the local Scottish fairs and are going to be around people who are actual clan members or even official local representatives/conveners of clans.

Sir William Marcus

By chance, has anyone had any purchasing experience's with "The Frugal Corner"? 

http://www.thefrugalcorner.com/mens.htm

BTW, What a valuable source of information that has gathered here. My compliments to everyone on this thread. 
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

groomporter

A couple friends of mine have purchased from them and were happy with their kilts

Sir William Marcus

Thank you GroomPorter. I shall consider them in the future
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

groomporter

groomporter

Just out of curiosity I googled  "regimental tartans" and ran across this

The London Scottish Regiment TA, founded in 1859, wear plain kilts of Hodden Grey, the colour of their founder Lord Elcho's hunting coat. It was reputed, at the time of the Boer War, when the Regiment won their first Battle Honours, to be the start of the use of camouflage in the British Army.
http://www.tartansauthority.com/web/site/Tartan/History/RegimentalTartans.asp

I wasn't aware of a non-tartan military kilts that early.

brier patch charlie

The London Scottish Regt. are no more, they are now only a Company, and were all most fazed out, but were save only because of the Queen.
Charles Coleman

Sir William Marcus

Sewn down pleats. Is this the preferred way to go?

groomporter

Not necessarily, but it can make it quicker/easier to get dressed in the morning.

Sir William Marcus

maelstrom0370

One of my biggest fears when I first started wearing a kilt to Faire was that, being of predominantly English and Dutch heritage, my family lays no claim to any specific tartan or "colors".  To avoid that problem, I went with the NightStalker design from Stillwater kilts.  I've gotten a few compliments on it and, so far, haven't insulted anyone!  :P

der idee_mann

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on March 12, 2009, 08:52:22 AM
By chance, has anyone had any purchasing experience's with "The Frugal Corner"? 

http://www.thefrugalcorner.com/mens.htm

BTW, What a valuable source of information that has gathered here. My compliments to everyone on this thread. 

I bought my latest 16oz Kilt and extras from "The Frugal Corner" and have been very happy with it, not to mention they are good people and provide quality service.