News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilt wearing advice and kilt sources

Started by groomporter, May 17, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on May 27, 2009, 11:18:02 AM
That alone works for me!  ;D

Of course I'm assuming you are talking about a modern "little kilt", but I've also worn a great-kilt that had the pleats sewn into it as a time saver.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Sir William Marcus

Absolutely, modern. Been shopping for something in a more active/athletic line without spending a whole bunch of $$$
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Merlin

Being BRAND NEW to this... I need some help.
I have decided to honor my ancestors by donning the kilt and accessories.
I want to maintain as much authenticity as possible so I've put aside the idea of a sport kilt or modern wear kilt.

Can anyone direct me to a place that may be able to offer everything from top to bottom for a new guy like myself.

I know the tartan.. have the crest and family motto that I would like to incorporate somehow... but I am brand new at this and am getting overwhelmed by all the sites.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

thanks!
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

RenRobin

As a woman married to a Scot, who did not have any experience in wearing a kilt until renfairs...

When you go to the ice chest to get a beer or soda or even pick something up off the ground, squat or bend at the knees, don't just bend over unless you want to show off the ol' Twig and Berries.  I had to let the hubby know he flashed half the camp.  :o :o :o

He was so comfortable in the kilt that he forgot he was regimental. :-[ ;)
Loki-terr (in training)

Zardoz

Quote from: Merlin on May 27, 2009, 03:45:45 PM
Being BRAND NEW to this... I need some help.
I have decided to honor my ancestors by donning the kilt and accessories.
I want to maintain as much authenticity as possible so I've put aside the idea of a sport kilt or modern wear kilt.

Can anyone direct me to a place that may be able to offer everything from top to bottom for a new guy like myself.

I know the tartan.. have the crest and family motto that I would like to incorporate somehow... but I am brand new at this and am getting overwhelmed by all the sites.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

thanks!

Well... If you're looking for a local vendor, Scotland Forever is about it;  http://www.scotlandforever.net/index.html   I've not visited their shop, so I can't comment on it. their website is a bit clunky.

You didn't say what tartan or if you wanted something for wearing to the faire like a greatkilt, or a more modern traditional kilt for casual or formal stuff, but one of the cool things about kilts is that one can wear the same kilt for all levels of dress, so here's a couple options;

For faire-weare or traditional take a look at Celtic Croft, here's their greatkilt page;  http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Kilts/great_kilts.html

For traditional (modern) gear, there are lots of choices, but I get all my made to measure kilts from USA Kilts, they can do kilts in various fabrics and have pretty good deals on complete outfits to get ya' started; http://www.usakilts.com/store/cart.php?m=content&page=13
Rocky at USA Kilts is a pro with first time kilties.

I've also got a lot of stuff from  www.scottishkilts.net  it's a Scotland based company has some of the best pricing on Scottish made highland dress and accessories.

And the best kilt info resouce on the web,  www.xmarksthescot.com

Good luck, and lemme know if I can help!

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Merlin

Thanks Zardoz.... The Tartan is Gunn, my family clan.

I'm getting closer to locating kilt, fly plaid and Glengarry but now more questions arise.

My goal is for more of a Renaissance/Highland games look rather than a modern kilt with a jacket.
Having said that... are there some do's and don'ts that I need to be aware of?
For instance... Don't get a sporran with a crest on it...or never wear a fly plaid with this sort of shirt thing.

Foot wear... prefer some sort of boot that I could carry a dirk with.... any suggestions on footwear?

The clan Gunn were Vikings whop came to Scotland around 850 so if anything I am saying is against "the rules"...please let me know. I have no idea if Scots never wore boots or always wore certain shoes...I'm really ignorant about these things but trying to learn.

Glengarry---- Diced or no?

Thanks in advance.

Zardoz

Quote from: Merlin on May 28, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
Thanks Zardoz.... The Tartan is Gunn, my family clan.

I'm getting closer to locating kilt, fly plaid and Glengarry but now more questions arise.

My goal is for more of a Renaissance/Highland games look rather than a modern kilt with a jacket.
Having said that... are there some do's and don'ts that I need to be aware of?
For instance... Don't get a sporran with a crest on it...or never wear a fly plaid with this sort of shirt thing.

Foot wear... prefer some sort of boot that I could carry a dirk with.... any suggestions on footwear?

The clan Gunn were Vikings whop came to Scotland around 850 so if anything I am saying is against "the rules"...please let me know. I have no idea if Scots never wore boots or always wore certain shoes...I'm really ignorant about these things but trying to learn.

Glengarry---- Diced or no?

Thanks in advance.

Well...I'm no expert on this, but Highlanders started wearing the greatkilt or belted plaid in the 16th century, on the belt they would carry a sporran, dirk, pouches and other highland accutriments. A baldric was used for sword and pistols. Under the kilt they had a simple baggy woven shirt, or leine, maybe a leather doublet if they were well off! They generally wore simple leather wrap shoes, like the "gillies" you see at faire, or barefoot! the sgian dubh in the sock or boot is a much later 1800's affectation.
They didn't wear 'glengarry' bonnets, again 1800's, but larger, generally simular woven wool tams, with no "clan badges".  Highland clans at that time were not identified by clan tartan or badge (1800's) although they often used 'plant badges' in their bonnet to identify one another I think Gunn's is the juniper tree.  If you want to look at a movie that shows this general look pretty well, I'd suggest Rob Roy.   Here's a link to some good info; http://www.albanach.org/generations.html

IBRSC# 1619,

Merlin

Very good information.... thanks!

What do you wear on your feet?

Zardoz

"What do you wear on your feet?"

Personally?  At faire I do not go for any historic accuracy. I'm kilted pretty much fulltime, so I mostly use parts of my regular kiltwear.  I wear regular modern kilt hose and some 'gillie' type shoes a friend made for me, kind of like these;http://www.nativearth.net/sandal.html#GHILLIES
If it's wet and or cold I wear some regular lace up suede oxfords ::)

Here's a couple photos of me at TRF,

Here I am with some of my girltorage, Modern hose, shoes, sporran,tailored kilt (Irelands National tartan), highlander shirt from Ravenswood Leather, 'swordsman' vest from Sportkilt, modern tam etc..

Here's basically the same set-up only with a more era-correct bonnet http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=250 and a 1700's style jacket, it was cold that weekend and I was pretty sick, so I needed two helpers to stand up!

Just for grins, and to show how versatile the kilt is, here's some of the same gear worn as part of a victorian costume;

And at a "business attire" meeting with Harris County Judge Ed Emmett;

and yeah, that's how I would normally dress!
IBRSC# 1619,

groomporter

Ghillies a type of simple moccasin. There are some patterns at the bottom of the page here:
http://historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/ghillies.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Merlin

GREAT GREAT advice here....thanks so much and forgive me for continuing to ask more.

Sport Kilt: Obviously not 'traditional' but is it a decent buy for the money? A port kilt in my clan tartan with sewn down pleats and a double buckle closure is under $100 while a true 9 yard wool kilt is around $450. If this kilt will be worn at faire only....less than 10 times per year.... would a Sport Kilt suffice or is it a waste of money because it looks like a cheap kilt?

Zardoz

Quote from: Merlin on May 29, 2009, 10:16:47 AM
GREAT GREAT advice here....thanks so much and forgive me for continuing to ask more.

Sport Kilt: Obviously not 'traditional' but is it a decent buy for the money? A port kilt in my clan tartan with sewn down pleats and a double buckle closure is under $100 while a true 9 yard wool kilt is around $450. If this kilt will be worn at faire only....less than 10 times per year.... would a Sport Kilt suffice or is it a waste of money because it looks like a cheap kilt?

Brother Merlin, I'm glad to help!

I have a couple of old Sportkilts (SKs) and they are great for what they are, kilts intended for sporting events. Mine are a cotton-poly, I think they are using a better looking fabric now, but mine are 6-7 years old and have not aged too well, lots of pilling and they don't hold a sharp pleat, even with pressing. I saw some at TRF last year that looked pretty good, but didn't pass for a traditonal kilt. They're low yardage, maybe 13-14 wide pleats, they do look better with the sewn down pleat option. SKs have velcro closure, the straps are  mostly decorative. I would say spring for the sewn-down pleats, fringe, and big belt loops before the straps.

For about the same kind of money,$100- $140 (depending on your size) you could get a 'Casual' model from USA Kilts (USAK) and have a nicer looking kilt with more pleats, made to measure in a better fabric. (ask them to leave off their patch) USA has the Gunn Modern tartan in their line up. http://www.usakilts.com/store/cas_kiltpage.php

For about 100 bucks more, you could get the USAK 'Semi-traditional' model and have a really nice kilt you could wear anywhere. http://www.usakilts.com/store/semitrad_kiltpage.php
Remember, it is easier to dress down a fancy kilt than dress up a basic one.  If I seem like a shill for USA Kilts it's because I'm the satisfied owner of 5 of them. The PV fabric is great for Texas weather, if you sweat it up, you can throw it in the washer, hang it up and wear it the next day.

IBRSC# 1619,

Merlin

A long time satisfied customer is more valuable than all the commercials and internet ads added up. SOLD!

I'm going to do the semi-traditional from USA Kilts and ask them to leave off the patch.

I may get the ghillie brogues for Highland Games and opt for some black leather lace up hiking boots for Faire....
It looks like USA only has white Highland shirts.... any leads on a good place to get a couple in other colors?

Again....thanks so much for your help. When we meet one day...the first round is on me!

Zardoz

You will be happy with the USA Semi-trad!  If you have any questions about measuring or whatever, don't be afraid to call Rocky and ask, he is great with first time customers! Tell him Zardoz from XMarks sent ya'.

I've got a few highlander type shirts from Ravenswood Leather, they have lots of colors, and are a pretty good deal;  http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/Shirts/index.html

Honestly, I never wear the highlander/Jacobite/poet/pirate type of shirt outside ren faires, you see people do it, but they seem a little "costumey" to me. At Highland games here in Texas you're more likely to see t-shirts or golf shirts paired with kilts because of the heat!

Here's the Houston games a couple weeks ago, only about 85 degrees there. at the Dallas Games in Arlington next week it might be 95-100!

I'd say look some of the photo threads over at XMarksthescot.com to get some ideas about how folks dress at different events. feel free to sign up there too, tons of good advice and ideas to be had!
IBRSC# 1619,

Merlin

OK...so here's what I'll be ordering tomorrow:

Semi Traditional in my family clan tartan of Gunn Modern

matching flash

Clan Belt buckle

Black Belt

Gunn clan Sgian Dubh

Balmoral with Clan Badge

1 Blue and 1 white highlander shirt

1 pair navy hose   1 pair cream hose

Clan crest kilt pin

Clan crest plaid brooch

1 swordsman vest

I plan on getting black 14 eye lace up boots to wear...probably some Doc Martins.

Still undecided about sporran

Did I miss anything? I'll eventually add a batdric and sword probably....maybe...dunno

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.