News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilt wearing advice and kilt sources

Started by groomporter, May 17, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir William Marcus

I have made my casual kilt choices for now. We went with Sports Kilts for some solid colors and Stillwater Kilts for a Irish National Tartan I was needing.  It was a close decision between Stillwater & USA Kilt.   We ended up choosing Stillwater. We liked the features that Stillwater offered on their Irish Tartan, not to mention the price was a little sweeter on the pocket book too.  Perhaps try a USA Kilt in the future.

Till Then

Looking forward to trying them out & putting them through the ringer test.

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Sir William Marcus

Stumbled across these and thought I would add them for anyone needing a quick visual reference

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Zardoz

Speaking of USA Kilts, I just recieved my new Semi-trad in the mail from Rocky at USA Kilts!  ;D

It's in the X Marks the Scot forum tartan, STA tartan number 6679, (yes, an online community with it's own registered tartan and clan badge!) a thing of beauty, and it fits perfect!

Front apron view

Rear pleat view and flashes. Rocky's attention to detail is obvious.

I apologize for the rumpled look of the kilt, this is right out of the box, I had not even tried it on yet!

The next day, after a little pressing, ready to go to a pleasent lunch...

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Merlin

Do you wash your USA Semi-Trad's in the washing machine? Cold water? Line dry?

I guess what Im asking...is how do you care for your USA kilt?
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Zardoz

Quote from: Merlin on June 03, 2009, 05:49:40 PM
Do you wash your USA Semi-Trad's in the washing machine? Cold water? Line dry?

I guess what Im asking...is how do you care for your USA kilt?

It's easy, For PV like USAK's or Acrylic like Stillwater kilts,- Machine Wash in COLD water on the GENTLE cycle. Don't use fabric softener, it will remove the teflon on the PV. Give them an extra spin-dry and them hang them up with some pants hangers or lay them out to dry. Touch up by pressing with a steam iron on Medium.
I actually have better luck with mine if I lay them out flat to dry.  I put a sheet over our spare bed,(one could use a big table or the floor etc.) and take a few minutes to lay the kilt out nice and smooth with all the pleats flat and creased straight etc... It will dry overnight and require less pressing.
IBRSC# 1619,

Sir William Marcus

Wow! Stillwater kilts are made in Pakistan?? I did not know that!  No complaints yet although that explains a few things.

groomporter

Where did you hear that, or was the kilt you ordered labeled as imported?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Sir William Marcus

Perhaps it was just the standard kilt that I ordered.  It sports a tag "Made in Pakistan"

Zardoz

There are likely more kilts and other Highland stuff made in Pakistan than any other country!   All of Stillwaters' kilts, wool or acrylic are made there.  The fabrics are loomed there as well.  If you ask them, they don't conceal that fact. Nothing wrong with that, Jerry's stuff is the best bang for your kilt buck there is,  I own 4 of them. About the only gripes I have are the standard 24 inch length, and the lack of cutaway in the fell that makes for a thick hot waistband in the "standard" models.
Basically anytime you pay 50 - 80 bucks for a off the rack kilt, from Stillwater,  Frugal Corner or Kiltmart to name a few,  you are getting an acrylic kilt made in Pakistan. 

When I first got started wearing kilts, I was not aware of all the good info sources like Xmarksthescot, albanach.org , etc..  so I looked all over the web and was close to getting a Stillwater, but I thought that there was no way a 75 dollar kilt could be any good, so I ended up paying about 90 bucks each for two old style Sportkilts that I won't wear in public now.
IBRSC# 1619,

Sir William Marcus

By all means I like it,  it is a good looking kilt for the money.  I was just slightly surprised when I discovered who was actually making them.  Learn something every day  ;)

Aaroncois

Sir William Marcus

Anyone have any experience with "The Scottish Tartan Museum Gift Shop out of Franklin, NC or the "J Byous Company in Georgia?

Zardoz

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on June 10, 2009, 03:59:42 AM
Anyone have any experience with "The Scottish Tartan Museum Gift Shop out of Franklin, NC or the "J Byous Company in Georgia?

I have done business with both.
I have a couple made to measure tams from J Byous, thats all I've gotten from them, but the quality and service were great.

I've bought a lot of stuff from the Scottish Tartans Museum, and its all been top notch. They have a great selection and don't sell any junk! I have not ordered a kilt from there, but would not hesitate to do so.
The fellow that runs it, Matt Newsome, is an well respected kiltmaker and one of the formost authorities on tartan and Highland dress in the country. 

What sort of things are you looking for William?
IBRSC# 1619,

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Zardoz on June 10, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
What sort of things are you looking for William?

For the most part accessories.  I've been focusing on a new semi dress to dress sporran and perhaps some headgear too.  I've been piecing some outfits together a little at a time.

Investing in a pair of ghillie brogues may be in the future as well.

Zardoz

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on June 10, 2009, 12:24:34 PM

For the most part accessories.  I've been focusing on a new semi dress to dress sporran and perhaps some headgear too.  I've been piecing some outfits together a little at a time.

Investing in a pair of ghillie brogues may be in the future as well.

Well , you can't go wrong looking at the Scottish Tartans Museum shop for any of that stuff.  You might also try J.Higgins in Kansas; ( www.jhiggins.net ) they have a pretty good selection too.
IBRSC# 1619,