News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Carrying a crossbow

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, April 29, 2009, 05:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I did a search and did not find an answer. 

I am considering adding a crossbow and curious as to how these would have been carried - lashed to the shoulder in some fashion?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

tcindie

I would imagine it could be slung over the back on a baldric, much the way a large two handed sword might be

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Thank you for this info, it has given me a path to follow and I think it is where I need to go.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

tcindie

Not sure if that's the authentic method of carry or not, but it does seem to make sense (in my head anyway).. hard to say, every picture I've ever seen the person has it in their hands. :)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

A whole day of carrying may get old (might interfere with my holding of the mug  :)
I am one that is not overly concerned about correctness ( I know BAN me now !!)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I. Stewart

Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknall on April 29, 2009, 02:15:46 PM
A whole day of carrying may get old (might interfere with my holding of the mug  :)
I am one that is not overly concerned about correctness ( I know BAN me now !!)

Here here!!

I would just tell you to carry it.  Or don't bring it.  A crossbow is the type of weapon you don't dangle by a rope.  You carry it in your hands so you don't break it.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

You have made a good point here - if I carry a crossbow, I will CARRY it -
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

escherblacksmith

Yeah, it looks like they carried it over their shoulder, like a musket or pike.
--

Oldarcher

Carry it at a fest? NO string!!! Let the gatewench figure it out for entrance.

Pirateleach

well if someone finds a solution can the please post some pics...im quite curious
Barkeep, Tavern on the Hill
Newcastle
Come have a Shandy from Andy

madmanpsu

Crossbows would have been carried over the left shoulder, just as a musket was carried.  Pikes were almost universally carried over the right shoulder.  I do not know why, but almost every period illustration I have seen depicts it thus.  This is also how you can tell what a person is, Most soldiers in the later part of the rennaissance wore the cavalier style hat, if the fold is on the left side, they were most likely a musketeer, if the folded up side is on the right, they were most likely pike and a gentleman since that was the proper profession for a gentleman to be as a soldier.

Matt aka Mail'n M'Crack

groomporter

An insight into being a musketeer, if the right side was down it could help protect your face from powder burns from the flash of the priming powder just a few inches away.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

madmanpsu

Quote from: groomporter on September 29, 2009, 09:04:29 PM
An insight into being a musketeer, if the right side was down it could help protect your face from powder burns from the flash of the priming powder just a few inches away.

True, and also another reason why the upfolded side of the musketeers hat was ussually the left side.  My personal experience from firing matchlocks though is the protection of the hat brim is minimal. 

Matt aks Mail'n M'Crack

Pirateleach

QuoteI did a search and did not find an answer.

I am considering adding a crossbow and curious as to how these would have been carried - lashed to the shoulder in some fashion?

would this be a full size crossbow or a hand crossbow?

Newcastle

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Pirateleach

yeah... I'm trying to figure that one out too........my sister wants one for her garb..we found the crossbow...but Cant figure a way to carry it ...its not collapsible     grr
Newcastle