News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

kid-friendly movies

Started by uncletimcobleigh, April 30, 2009, 06:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncletimcobleigh

I'm looking for some kid-friendly movies that we can watch at home. My kids (11 and 8) enjoy our local faire, and my daughter reads historical fiction voraciously, especially anything about Elizabeth I. I'd like to find some things even vaguely related. I say vaguely, because as an example, they love Princess Bride. I need things with no adult scenes or nudity, and a minimum of foul language. I've shown them Court Jester (they love it), and Knight's Tale (they liked it, but acted uncomfortable with some scenes, like Chaucer's naked butt). I'm thinking about the old classic, The Sea Hawk. What else?

Trillium

I loved Legend and Labyrinth at that age (and still love them).  Another movie that comes to mind is Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.   I would think the Lord of the Rings  and Pirates of the Caribbean movies would be alright, also.  Can't think of any "historical" movies at the moment.  Maybe I'll think of some once the coffee kicks in!
Got faerie dust?

Chelsy

Oh, I love the Princess Bride. Very good choice.
I also second LotR, because I first saw them when I was 11-- and look at me now! (...or maybe not. haha.)
What about Ever After? That one's cute, too.
TNRF (2003-2015, 2017)
CRF (2012-present)
GARF (2015-present)
KYHRF (2005-2009)

uncletimcobleigh

I tried LOTR, but they don't seem to like fantasy, Princess Bride notwishstanding.

Lady Amy of York

If they like pirates  " Treasure Island "  is a good movie  for  kids.

There is animated version of " The Hobbit"  that i remember seeing as  a kid  and  loved.

" The  Three Musketeers "  is  full of  action and adventure and i think would  be  suitable  for  kids.

" The Man in the  Iron  mask"  is  another good  one.

Been a while  since I  watched "  Elizabeth  R  "  a mini series  that was on PBS  years ago and  is available on DVD,don't think  it contained  nudity, and if  your  daughter likes queen Elizabeth  I , she  would  enjoy  this   movie.

The original version of " Robin Hood ".

Another good one  is " Camelot ".

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Bonny Pearl

You might like to try out A & E's mini series of Horatio Hornblower or any of the other A & E film productions of Jane Austen, etc.  While these aren't 'Renaissance' they are good productions.  PBS has a great library of productions as well.

Check them out and I hope these suggestions might help.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Morgan Dreadlocke

The Buccaneer. Yul Bryner, Chuch Heston.
The Sword and the Rose. Disney, Richard Todd, Angela Landsbury(I think).
The Crimson Pirate. Burt Lancaster, Nick Cravet
The Flame and the Arrow. Burt an Nick again playin' the same characters wi' a Willy Tell plot.
The Dark Crystal. Muppet puppet type stuff wi' a decent plot.

An If ye can find  it, the recently rereleased "Dr Syn, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh". Good Disney stuff but scarse as frogs hair.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Morgan Dreadlocke on May 10, 2009, 12:50:47 PM

An If ye can find  it, the recently rereleased "Dr Syn, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh". Good Disney stuff but scarse as frogs hair.

Dr Syn, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

Found this on eBay, it's a little on the pricey side... :o
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Morgan Dreadlocke

Yeah,  a few years back the VHS copies (prolly bootleg) were goin' for $150 an up. I live in a rural area where mail order and delivery isn't a safe option. None of the outlets where you can get it "off the shelf" have seen it yet. bummer :(
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our younger son, now age 24, loved the PBS series on The Wives of Henry VIII, when he was around 10 or 11.  He used to discuss the shows at dinner, referring to them as if they were neighbors or people he knew.  A few weeks ago, I noticed they have the same set in our library.  Each VHS was an hour long, and each one featured one of the wives.  There was no nudity or adult scenes in it.

Also, the Robin of Sherwood series, from the 1980's, with Michael Praed and then Jason Connery, were good, and again, no adult content.  Our both sons chipped in together a few years ago and bought me the DVDs of the first shows starring Michael Praed, and Matt and I still sit down occasionally and watch them together.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Manwariel

Quote from: Lady Amy of York on April 30, 2009, 02:43:19 PM

" The Man in the  Iron  mask"  is  another good  one.

If it's the version I saw, it's definitely not suitable for children.

I like Horatio Hornblower but be warned, there's a lot of foul language, especially in the first one(s). Mostly d---n and h---l.

At 18, I still enjoy watching Disney's animated Robin Hood movie. It's sort of Ren. faire-ish. :)

Morgan Dreadlocke

That would be the version wi' Leo Decaprio.  Shame as tis really a good movie. Leo's bedroom indescretions be a bit strong fer wee folk.

Manwariel

And not-so-wee folk :p Yes, that's the one.

Lady Amy of York

NO! NO ! No ! Deffinitely not  the Decaprio  version.Oh goodness no ! ;D  I can't remember who was in it, but i remember seeing a  version of  " The Man in the Iron Mask " when i was  a child  and  really liking it.
  The other night i watched  with my  5  year old son  the  Disney  version of "The Three Musketteers " with Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, Chris O'Donnell , and  my son enjoyed it.  No sex, or  bad  language and  the  violence  was  pretty tame.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Dragonlord

"The Princess of Thieves" - Disney (2001) starring Keira Knightley as the daughter of Robin Hood.
"A Kid in King Arthur's Court" - Disney (1995)