News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hey, Shutterbugs, I need your opinion on a camera...

Started by Cloverpogue, May 02, 2009, 04:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloverpogue

I am considering purchasing a new camera because my camera broke (auto zoom got stuck), and I do not have the time or money to get it fixed..sooo, I want to purchase this camera: It's a Canon Powershot A470 7.1 Digital Camera 3.4x Optical Zoom 2.5" LCD, face detection.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9208354

I don't have the $$$ to invest into a really swanky camera that my sister has and keeps rubbing in my face. ha.
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

tcindie

The Canon Powershot series is pretty decent.. I had an old Powershot A60 or something.. it was solid as a tank.  I'd be willing to bet that more than just the pixel count has been improved since my old camera was the new kid on the block.

I've got a nice digital SLR, but I picked up a Nikon Coolpix S210 for faire.  I wanted the smallest (thinnest) camera I could find, and didn't feel like shelling out several hundred for the Sony or Olympus that are slightly slimmer than what I settled on.  Think I paid about $120 for this one, it takes nice photos, but at the price listed for the Canon you are eying, it's hard to pass up.  I say go for it! :D

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Cloverpogue

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on May 02, 2009, 06:25:33 PM
DPreview A470 and others.

Here's a little more information for you on your choice.  ;D

Thanks for that, that was helpful. I'm not a pro photographer, but it will atleast do the job and looks to be reliable. I fell in love with the powershots, it's almost like the one my aunt has and I loved playing with her camera. It took really good pictures.

I bought a polaroid last year and it was great, took great pictures, but I could not get the white balance to work like I wanted. Even after I'd get the pics on my computer, I still couldn't really fix the pictures that looked like the flash washed your face out. But, what I was reading about the one I want, it doesn't have that problem, and there's nothing wrong with a little, squatty camera.  :D
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

Sir Martin

I agree with tcindie ... the Canon PowerShot series does a nice job.  I'm not sure you could find a better camera for the price of the A470 you are considering.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I really like the Nikon strictly due to its very small size.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Mandrake Von Sets

Wil

Sir Martin

Nice photos, Wildabeast.  My sister has an SD1100 IS and she loves it.

Here are a few shots from my old PowerShot A620.  I'm sure the A470 that Cloverpogue is considering will do a fine job.

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Sir Martin on May 04, 2009, 12:37:33 PM
Nice photos, Wildabeast.  My sister has an SD1100 IS and she loves it.

Here are a few shots from my old PowerShot A620.  I'm sure the A470 that Cloverpogue is considering will do a fine job.

Hey, I also have  and use a Powershot A620, just look at any of my pictures in the BARF thread...
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Sir Martin

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on May 04, 2009, 06:02:29 PM
Hey, I also have  and use a Powershot A620, just look at any of my pictures in the BARF thread...

I saw you photos ... nicely done.  You also did a great job on the custom pouch that you made.   I am going to try to make it to BARF next year and look forward to seeing you there.

Cloverpogue

So, I finally, today, broke down and bought a camera, but not the canon after all that. I went to Walmart and the one I went to didn't have it. They must've had a run on them because of Mother's day, but that's okay, I bought an Olympus FE-220/X-785 with 7.1 megapixel for the same price as th canon.
It comes with a lithium battery that has a charger, so that'll save me mega $$$ in not having to keep buying batteries.

I'll play with it more after I charge up the battery.