News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bodice help

Started by tigrlily64, May 03, 2009, 12:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrlily64

Now, if the boning is at the edge of the bodice, will I need to handstitch the bias tape to those edges?  Like a whipstitch?  Or should there be a little bit of room from the edge, that I could machine sew it on?

Thank you!

gem

There should be at least 1/2", not only to make room for attaching the bias, but so the bones don't poke you.

tigrlily64

Thanks!  This actually saves me a lot of trouble, since I already have it boned 5/8" away from the edge.  I hae unpicking stitches.  Then I'd have to handstitch, which is also not my favorite activity, as well as being one I'm bad at.

gem

I was bad at it, too.  Until I hemmed a velveteen Irish gown by hand (the entire skirt circumference + up the front opening).  My hand-sewing took a giant leap forward in quality.  Now, after having entirely hand-sewn a linen chemise (with French seams, no less!), my hand-sewing is pretty darn good.  Here's a shot of the bound neckline (which is similar to your corset binding), which was my favorite part of the whole project:

A lot of fine finishing skills require hand-sewing, so it's really worth it to practice.  It really doesn't take much to get lots better at it.  Promise!  Plus it's *so* rewarding!

Kate XXXXXX

You also get pretty quick at it too!   ;D