News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pirate accessories?

Started by sapphireandsage, May 04, 2009, 11:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Var Greyshadow

Quote from: sapphireandsage on May 04, 2009, 07:17:22 PM
Poison rings...I'll definitely look into seeing if I can get the materials to make those.  I do have larger rings available that have 25x18mm glass oval and rectangular stones on them, but I like the idea of adding a poison compartment underneath.

How do the hair beads attach exactly, Var?  I have tons of larger glass beads that I could use for something like that.

Mine don't really have beads.  They're like the ones on this site: http://www.kimsvisionsanddreams.com/masyne.html
(I can't remember the vendor at TRF where I got the first one and the second was a find at Charming Charlie.)  Most of the poison rings I've seen are fairly small, but I'm certain you'll come up with something.  That big ring in your profile picture looks like it's hinged.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Aiacha

Quote from: sapphireandsage on May 04, 2009, 07:17:22 PM
Poison rings...I'll definitely look into seeing if I can get the materials to make those.  I do have larger rings available that have 25x18mm glass oval and rectangular stones on them, but I like the idea of adding a poison compartment underneath.

I had a hard time finding my poison ring...I was told by some vendors that they stopped selling them because they were prone to breakng.  I suppose it's because the latch or the hinge wore out.  Just mentioning that as something to keep in mind.

sapphireandsage

I do have one earring style that is a simple hoop that I sell individually or as a pair.  I was able to find another bold ornate ring that could be turned into a nice pirate earrings.  Gonna order them today!  I also found some nice mermaid cameos, so I'll have to design a necklace around them that will be pirate-worthy.  Thanks for the suggestions!

The ring in my profile pic is indeed hinged - it has a working locket on it that has images of Anne Boleyn and QEI inside.  It is a replica of a ring that was owned by Elizabeth herself.  I've got images of the original on my wensite above the photos of my replication design.   I've seen the poison rings already made somewhere, but I like to add touches to anything I get that makes them my own.  I don't do any reselling of items that haven't been customized somehow by my own hand.  That's the tough part of offering something like that - finding the bare-bones parts that aren't adorned on top is going to be tough!
~Rhonda
-:¦:-  Sapphire & Sage -:¦:-
Renaissance Jewelry & Accessories
Tarot Consultations by E-mail

sealion

I tend to stay away from the typical pirate symbols and just pile on more jewelry. To my way of thinking a pirate would wear the same jewelry as the people they were stealing.....I mean "borrowing"....it from!
As for the poison rings- mine opens to reveal a watch face. Very handy at faire.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

sapphireandsage

I thought the same thing!  Of course, they'd probably opt to keep the "blingier" pieces to show off...but then, would the bulky stuff be too cumbersome for life onboard a ship????  Maybe I'm putting a little too much practical thought into it, though!   ;)
~Rhonda

bellalye

Heeho!

Try foreign pieces - aka: indian, chinese, african, and south american/caribbean, or attempt to include foreign elements in european pieces.  Part of the modern fascination (and past fascination) with pirates is their reputation as explorers who visited lands unvisitable by normal folk.  Also, a pirates garb and accessories lived a harsh life on a ship, bouncing around, surronded by briney air, etc. - distressed metals, ones with a patina or (for a poor pirate) where the plating appears to have fallen off, might make the pieces a little more distinguishable.

toodles!!

sapphireandsage

I did find come replications of French, Egyptian, and Chinese coins...I'm wondering if those would be suitable, though.  Maybe it would be preferred if they were actual circulated coins?  There are many that have the open centers that I could attach to heavy gold-tone chains, of vinatge chains that are more worn-looking, and solid coins could be put into bezel settings to make them usable as pendants. 

What do you all think of the coin types (your preference of real vs. replication charms) strung on chains and fashioned into long and short necklaces?
~Rhonda

LadyElizabeth

Oooh, I love the idea of coin type necklaces, very cool.  real would be cool if they look good, but replica old type coins might be better.  Ones with Queen ELizabeth on them or something!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Alphena Brennafax

All this awesome jewelry talk is making me wish I had a pirate persona!  :)

Lady Amy of York

I think this  may have  already been mentioned, but  remember that although pirates 
owned   or  made  some of  their  jewelery,   alot of  the  stuff they wore  was  stolen   from   ships,  and   wealthy merchants  and  nobleman. So  if  you are going  for  the  modern day  pirate , pirate insignia's  will do, but  if  you want historical  accuracy, i would  go  for    coin   necklaces  and   fancy gemstones.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Auryn

A pearl necklace or long belt with a mermaid cameo would be great.
I def agree that the jewelery has to look like it was commandeered from some poor soul that came across the pirates.

I kind of like the idea of foreign coins.
I mean especially back then gold is gold, regardless of the face on it. You can always melt it down.

I like the belt buckle idea also.
I wear a large waist cincher belt, a baldric and two regular belts for my other sword, pouches etc.
So some nice blingy buckles would be great.

I know we are talking about about jewelery type accesories,
but what about a cool spy glass?? I'd love to have one for my character
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Adriana Rose

From what I know of the historical Pirates is that they were kinda like magpies.. if it was shiny they were all over it lol. Also think Dandy to the word( just with pistols and sharp and ponties out the wazoo lol)

Its hard for me becuse my pirate is a frilly kinda Lolita kinda girl, so for that I go for LOTS of pearls and shiny bits

The coins would rock because there was piracy all over the world so there would be all sorts of coin popping up

Lady Catherine

oh, oh!! a great place to find coinage in jewelry is belly dance!!!!

on E-bay, search the word Kuchi, or Afghani, etc. In my profile pic, I am wearing a kuchi necklace I got at the ALARF for $10!!!! and bright shiny mirrored belts! lol!
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Queen Bonnie

I make pirate hair beads-I use kuchi coins and bone skull beads and anything antique looking. Attached with barrettes. My Evil pirate twin also wears skull bone bead bracelets and amber too.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Dannicus

As a matter of "authenticity", pirates, and sailors in general would typically carry their gold they had made in the form of jewelry so that in the event of their death, their comrades could use the gold to pay for a proper funeral. I've read that in several pirate history books, and am sure with a little web research you could find the same information. Good luck!
What we need in America is a renaissance. We need to go forward by going backward.   -Stanley Crouch