News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Doublet Bodices - thoughts/experiences/recommendations?

Started by Branwen, May 16, 2008, 06:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branwen

So I've decided that more than likely I won't be getting around to making a new bodice for myself and since my birthday has come round and I have some extra cash I may just want to buy one that I wouldn't dare try to make anyway.

However I've never ordered a bodice, and am a little nervous to buy something without being able to feel the weight, and inspect the structure. That's were you fine folks come in. I'm in the market for a simple, tasteful, well constructed Doublet Bodice. Preferably one that does not require a corset underneath (this summer is going to be a scorcher I can tell already)

So far the only one with a specific Doublet bodice is the Very Merry Seamstress http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/doublet.htm :

Does anyone own this bodice? Or know another source for a similar style.   

FaireMare

Very Merry Seamstress has a fine reputation for quality work and workmanship.  They are also very willing to work with customers.  Do mention you are a member here. *G*

Very Merry is a Member in FANTASICT standing of RF dot com

Elensari

That looks lovely.  I had not heard of them.  Thanks for the link.  I own and have made several girl doublets, and I have a couple of suggestions. 1) If you are at all busty or curvy, this style will look so much better on you over a corset, even a light-weight one. 2) Since it laces up, maybe you can get away without the corset by seeing if they will bone this for you down the front at the least.  If you are smaller a little boning down the front will make it lay prettier and not pucker anyway.  They do not state that it is boned, but it seems to lay like it is.  And the price is extraordinary!  I think I should order one, too! ;D

~k
Immaculate costuming gives one the confidence, that religion is powerless to bestow-

Syrilla

I love my doublet bodices.  They can make getting dressed very easy. :D  And that name has a very good reputation.  I do agree that wearing a corset underneath is a must to get the beautiful shape that is required.

Margaret

Bran -

I don't know of anyone else who sells doublet type bodices, but VMS does have a well earned, well repsected reputation.

No matter who you order from, ask if they can send you swatches of fabric before you commit to order.  As for the crafting of the doublet, you will have to rely on the reputation of the tailor.  You could call and ask for some time to ask your questions.

I love my doublets too - really make getting dressed easy.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)