News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I like that...oooh, but I like that, too...I can't decide!

Started by jinx, May 27, 2008, 06:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinx

I'm in the market for a new bodice.  I have only two, and one of those...well, I've shrunk out of it a bit.  (I can get it to hold things "in place," but only if I bend over a bit and support said things a different way, therefore, it's totally ineffective.)  I'm wanting this one to be more geared for the pirate ensemble I want to have ready for Faire by September (all I've left to get is the bodice and some bloomers...oh, and another skirt.)  I have a black skirt and a yellow one, I'm making a red one to go with them.  Wow, I'm rambling.  To cut to the chase, I'm going with another one of my trusted Odd Bodkin Goddess Bodices (which is the same style as the one I shrunk out of).  What I can't decide is what fabric/colour I want.

I've been looking at the grey twill, and that's really the only colour I like in that fabric, as I already have a  blue one, I can't pull off a red that bright next to my face, and the khaki would make me look...well...very ill.  I look horrible in purple, and the wine doesn't appeal to me.  Then again, there's the corduroy, of which I love the grey and dark teal.

So...help?  XD  If you see a different one that might work better (and still be piratey), make a suggestion.  XD  I'm completely indecisive at the moment.

To give you an idea, my skin is very, very fair:

Pastels and brighter colours wash me out pretty badly. 

Thanks in advance!
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

gypsylakat

The cool thing about playing a pirate is; they travel! so you can have some really cool looking peice completely outside of whatever area you're in you can still call it yours. personally I don't like the grey or the kakhi bodices for a pirate ensemble, and I'm not sure how they'd look on you, but that could be my personal aversion to such tones.

since you were saying the one in teal... I really like these especially the jade brocade (which you pilfered from some noob captain that was bringing it home to his lovely, or the muted tapestry in teal which looks a bit more worn in and sun faded, which would be cool as well, it depends on what you want to go for, if you want to be out in all your comandeered finery then go jade if you want to go as what you would wear day to day, go muted tapestry

Also along those lines are the spray and the sand colors in the rio tapestry on this page

I like the Olive Florentine Chenille on the green page as well (I had also considred saying the mermaid blue, but after finding the teal page, i definitely decided that one)

My reasoning for sticking with the rich blue's is just that the one in your photo looks really good with your hair and skin color, and if you get a blueish one for your pirate stuff it will still go with your other ensembles...

(Ps, Is that the brigantine in your photo? That might be my next big purchase... probably around christmas time if i get some cash for christmas, or another job, or if my next couple of pay checks are good, or if I don't get into mason (which i should know before july... it might be a "I fell horrible and want something pretty" present for myself)

"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

gem

I'm with Kat--why are you confining yourself to solid grey and solid teal, when there are GADS of patterns and tapestries and brocades and velvets and... and... and... at Odd Bodkin?

...And you didn't mention green *once* in your post, and there are 24 choices in that color alone!!

jinx

I didn't mention green because I'd had my mind set on green for so long, then it changed.  XD  Now you're all changing it back.

The only thing I'm worried about with green is that I was going to make a red-red skirt, and, well, I don't want to look like a Christmas ornament.  However, I could always go with a different colour for that...because there -are- a ton of really pretty greens...and, I'll face it, green is one of the colours I carry off well (like the blue).

I'm actually kinda digging the green/black diamond, the green/gold chenille, and the green/gold circles.  O.O

I guess I was steering toward something a little plainer, but what Kat says makes sense--as a pirate, I could have pretty much anything.  XD  Now, the more I look at the green/black, the more I like it...I just can't decide what other skirt colour I'd have.  xD

And Kat, that -is- the Brigantine, and they are -such- lovely bodices.  I adore that mine!  I actually managed to find that one on the website, go to her shop, and pull it off the rack, in my size. 
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

CapnFayeCutler

OMG Odd Bodkin! I'm waiting for my navy brocade goddess bodice myself. But... *squee* I can't help you decide. I just wanted to drool over your options. :P
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

gypsylakat

lol I'm down here In VA so it's a bit of a hike for me to go to her shop :( but one day! lol
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

jinx

Awww, c'mon!  I drove clear to VA and back in one day last October to pick up a friend (and only to bring her to Faire, for that matter!)...yeah, it -is- kind of a long way.  XD  I did, however, order my red one online, and (back when I got it) it fit perfectly.

I'm decided on the green/black diamond.  I hadn't noticed it before, and there's a lot I can pair with that...and it's preeeeeeetty!  XD

So, thank you everyone!
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

CountessofPhoenix

Remember too we think red and green for Christmas, but that probably would not have been the case back then !
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

jinx

Oh, I know, but I'm also not crazy about the way they go together.  I'm going to wait until the bodice arrives before I make the skirt colour decision.  I'll take it with me when I go to pick out fabrics.  ^.^
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

gem

Are they reversible?  In that case, you'll *get* one plain side, by default.  Why not jazz up the other one?

(And I *lurve* the green and gold circles....)