News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any sort of character creating computer programs?

Started by TKM, May 04, 2009, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKM

I was just curious about this. In the past I always created some of my planned renfest characters as characters on the Soulcalibur video game, since the games feature a wide array of renaissance and medeival clothing and armor, but I don't have any video game systems right now. My question is if anyone knows of some kind of application or game you can get for your computer that's good for making visual representations of renaissance characters like that.

tcindie

Hmm.. interesting thought.  Maybe Second Life would be a good option

TKM

i've looked into that. It doesn't really fit what I'm looking for, it's all modern fashions. Thanks though.

tcindie

I dunno, from what I understand you can do whatever you want within second life, and it looks like there is a renaissance period area too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYYD1jCzcc

McGuinness

There's a website called something like Meego or Migo or something like that (sorry, can't look up the exact name here at work). I know you can make little avatars and characters on there and they have all sorts of clothes and time periods.

TKM

I couldn't find what you were talking about, Colleen. Thanks for that video, tcinidie, I didn't realize that was part of that game. I'll go check it out now.

EDIT: Looked into Second Life. The problem is you just create one avatar per account and go about with that avatar. I need something where you can mass create a roster of people.

renfairephotog

There's Hero Machine like the name suggests it super hero themed.

I Colleen means http://www.meez.com
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

TKM

yeah, I've used meez. I was able to pretty accurately create my main renfest persona, but beyond that there's not much choice. And I use something better than Hero Machine for creating my comic book type characters. I use the standalone character creator from City of Heroes. None of those superhero things have much renfest-passable garb though. Soulcalibur seems to be one of a kind.... *sigh* i need a ps3.

FortuneRose

Quote from: tcindie on May 05, 2009, 08:26:41 AM
Hmm.. interesting thought.  Maybe Second Life would be a good option

oh that looks like fun!  I watched the little youtube video made on it.  Is that free? 
LLVW

TKM

RSLeask

The major problem with Second Life is the knowing where to go to get items, and the Linden-based economy.  Especially the latter, which actually does have real monetary value associated with it.  Namely that, in order to purchase garb textures that you may or may not find in the game (unless you have visual design, mesh creation, and some advanced programming experience), you wind up having to sell out some money in order to do it.  Multiple accounts, though?  Just create a new email address on yahoo and use that for your tag.  It isn't hard to work around... after all, you sign in with your avatar's name.

Most of your majorly easy programs to use for this purpose, you'll have to pay for, or at least pay into to buy the items.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

TKM

well, hopefully this new  business i'm starting will earn me a fair amount of money, and the first personal entertainment expense i'll save back for is a playstation with soulcalibur xP