News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Unemployed!

Started by Zardoz, May 09, 2009, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

Well, after over 11 years of service through thick and thin, the motorcycle dealership I work for fired me today.  I can't say I didn't see it coming, I was apparantly quite an asset to the place for the first 5 or 6 years, But my immediate supervisor was killed several years ago, they hired a new manager from outside, and I never could seem to figure out how to please my new boss. Until today I was the only employee in my dept. still on board from when this guy took over, I guess I should have paid more attention to the other guys and bailed years ago. My loyalty isn't really paying off right now!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Noble Dreg

Sorry Z...don't know what to say but I hope you find better elsewhere.  11 years says a lot for your character, I'm sure you'll come out on top.  Best of luck.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Zaubon

I understand. Believe me, I understand. Last Monday I ended 27 years with my employer, because of a manager that thinks looking young and stylish is more important than doing the job.
Luckily we're both in Houston, still one of the stongest job markets in the country.

brier patch charlie

Hey Zardos sorry to hear about your job lose. Check out USAJOBSOPM.GOV there you will find the opm sight for the GOV. and there is a BUTT LOAD of Government jobs there in the Houston area. Good luck with your new job search.
Charles Coleman

Trillium

Sorry to hear it!  Mine is on the line also, just because I like to think for myself and make my own decisions on who to associate with.  I've been with this company for almost 9 years and suddenly I don't have enough initiative or analyze details.  I do my job great, but they've suddenly decided I should be doing special projects and writing procedures in my "spare time", whenever that is...   ::)  I've been given the OK for another 3 months...  My biggest problem with finding a new job is I can't go into Houston, I need to stay in the Galveston - Clear Lake area since I have a child and my hubby isn't able to get him if he gets sick.  Plus I need to find someone willing to pay what I'm paid now...not many clerical positions open now that pay that. :P
Got faerie dust?

John

"writing procedures"  Ha!  They just want you to train your cheap replacement Trillium.  It will bite them in the butt letting you go.  Penny wise and pound foolish as usual.

Sorry about you losing your job Zardoz.

maelstrom0370

Sorry to hear, Zardoz.
I completely feel your pain regarding the "loyalty" thing.  I was "indefinitely laid off" so the HR managers new assistant and her husband could have a year-round room. Housing was one of the perks of the job, and year-round rooms (basically apartments with their own kitchens as opposed to converted hotel rooms with a microwave) were in short supply, and I was the only non-management employee who had one.  Next thing ya know, my positions been eliminated.

Anyways, didn't mean to vent all over your thread, Z.  I am really sorry to hear and hope things turn around soon.

LadyShadow

I am sorry to hear every ones problems.  It will all get better.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Whenever I see this topic, my brain reads "underemployed".  Hell I was laid-off 2 years ago come this fall...  ::)
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Zardoz

Thanks for all the kind words guys!  The more I think of it, I realize I wanted to get out of there for years, but was stuck by a sense of loyalty or maybe just momentum.
I am looking at this as a chance for change and improvement.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

LadyShadow

Such positive outlook.  I hope better things come your way.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Taffy Saltwater

Zardoz, I'm sorry to hear this.  Even a crappy job (read - income) can be better than no job.  In the immortal words of my dad:  I was looking for a job when I started working here.
Sveethot!

Dayna

So sorry to hear of the changes in employment status, no matter how much it turns out to be a good thing in the end, while you're going through it, it Stinks!!

Hugs all round,

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Merlin

Things will be getting even better. If you have a skill and a personality...you'll get a job very soon. I just took on another job this week.... that makes 5 jobs for me now. Granted I don't work any of them every day...but finding work has always been pretty easy.
6 months from now you'll be in a happier place and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Peace be with you, brother!

DW
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

RenRobin

Wishing all of you the best in finding something that makes you happy very soon.
Robin
Loki-terr (in training)