News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire wedding costs?

Started by Spotsknight, April 09, 2013, 01:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotsknight

I'm looking at putting together a wedding at the varf next year and though I've emailed them, I haven't gotten any replies yet. I'm guessing I won't until closer to when they open. The issue is that we don't want to borrow money to pay for this and I'm trying to put together the budget.

For those that have held their weddings at an actual faire, what were some of costs you encountered and what was provided by the faire verses what you needed to organize separately?

I will most likely be for less than 20 people but until I can get more cost estimates, we can't even put together the invite list to see how many it will actually be.

My fiancée already has a faire dress made, but my outfit is not fit for a wedding so I'll need an outfit. So I may be back when I have a budget asking for recommendations for a seamstress in the Chicago area.

Merlin the Elder

My bride and I had a vow renewal last year at Scarborough. It's a much larger faire, and thus prepared to handle more of the details, I should think, but that is only a guess.

We went all out and had about 60 guests. At Scarborough, the wedding package we selected included food, cake, wine, beer, soda, officiant, a musician for the ceremony, and Tartanic played the reception. The package also included the admission tickets for the guests, and garlands for (up to) 8 bridesmaids. Upon leaving the wedding garden, we had the Scots Guard provide a Sword Arch (actually pikes)...

The price you pay (at Scarby) is based on what you want them to provide. So, just to give you an idea, see http://www.srfestival.com/weddings/information-booth/weddings.html   

We were celebrating 40 years together, so I wanted to go for the gusto. Considering what I've seen some people spend on weddings, I thought it was really reasonable.  For the record, it was the best money I ever spent. We came away with some awesome memories.

Congratulations, and all the best for the future!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Spotsknight

Thank you very much for that link. If the va faire has similar prices and services, it'll be perfect. I am hoping to keep the whole thing between 7,000 and 10,000 so that is very promising.

Merlin the Elder

For that much money, I come do it for you myself!  :o  Most here on the forum would tell you that you would regret that...  ;D

Spotsknight

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 09, 2013, 12:23:56 PM
For that much money, I come do it for you myself!  :o  Most here on the forum would tell you that you would regret that...  ;D
Lol thanks but that is the target budget for everything (garb, photographer, faire, ceremony, cake, etc).

Lady Kaalyn

Most faires have the wedding packages listed on their websites.  I would suggest looking on there.  I have looked at wedding packages at different fairs and they usually run less than 5k and most times the faire provides everything.  Some even include the cost of renting outfits for the wedding party. 
Texas Renaissance Festival
Scarborough Faire
Sherwood Forest Faire

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Lady Kaalyn on April 10, 2013, 08:17:25 AM
Most faires have the wedding packages listed on their websites.  .... 

Unfortunately, VaRF doesn't post their wedding packages, at least that I saw.

Spotsknight

For their packages there is just a link to their contact us page. I've sent a couple emails but no reply. I figure if the fair opens and I still have not gotten a reply, I'll try their phone number.

Merlin the Elder

If you're using the form on the page for the email, I wouldn't put much  faith in it.  Being a month out, they should most definitely be responding, if they were getting it.  comeplay@varf.org is the email for the GM, and info@varf.org is the marketing eddress. If you are using those eddresses to try to contact, and you aren't getting a response, then a phone call is needed.

I would recommend getting some referrals as well. Find out how well things were handled for previous couples. 

Spotsknight

Thanks Merlin I will try those!! I was using the form. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Spotsknight

That was a great idea Merlin, I already got a reply. So I can start working on the details and getting the budget together.