News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb Cleaning Suggestions?

Started by Lady von Engestrom, May 05, 2014, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady von Engestrom

So I wore my first noble gown this past weekend to the never-ending dust-fest that is Scarborough.  :)  I've read about the water/vodka spray method of removing odors, which I think will work perfectly for my shirt, but what to do about the dust?

Even though they are lovely, my underskirt and overskirt are black and there is dust halfway up both.  There's even dust halfway up the top-side of my farthingale!  :P  The farthingale is made of drill cloth, the underskirt is black cotton (except for the forepart, which is silver and doesn't show the dust badly) and the overskirt is black silk.  Would it be possible to gently brush everything?  Should I give it all a good shake?  Or am I better off just sucking it up and getting it all dry-cleaned.  I won't be wearing it again until Bristol in August, but I was just wondering what quick-fix ways I might clean dust off if I indeed ever wear it two days in a row.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  :)

Butch

Have you tried a vacuum cleaner?  The hose with a wide attachment.  Probably not one with a beater, just suction.  That should get rid of a lot of the dust!

Actually, brushing was a very common cleaning practice during the period!

I have used the vacuuming method many times, and very successfully.

Something I have never tried, but many of the female court members of the KCRF swear by, is taking your gown to a car wash, or turning the hose on it at the house.  I'd be a little squeamish of this myself.

Good luck!

Lady von Engestrom

Thanks, Butch!  The vacuum is a great suggestion!  I'm going to try that out right now.  :)

I'd be squeamish about turning a hose on this gown too, it's covered in hand-sewn pearls.  Eep!

Thanks again!

PollyPoPo

I'd start with you you've already thought of, using the least abrasive method first.  Vacuum cleaner sounds good, too. 

Shake each piece, then turn it inside out and shake again.  Get off as much as you can.  (depends on the type of dust - mine is orange-brown sand dust and usually shaking gets non-grabby fabric pretty clean)

Then, go to a soft brush.  That should get most of it off. 

You might try a microfiber cloth at this point.  They are engineered so that they "grab" light stuff and can pull dust off of any smooth fabric or some velvets.  It would take a lot of time, and many clean cloths.  You can get them in packages of 5 or 10, at places like Home Depot and Auto Zone.  Seriously, anything a guy will use to shine and polish his precious metals is going to be very gentle.

Next, I would go with a damp (very lightly moistened, not wet) cloth on anything that would normally be washable.  Give the fabric something behind it for structure (or have someone help hold it down on a bed or something).  Then wipe down gently with the damp cloth in a sort of put cloth down, lift cloth up, to pull the dust up and away from fabric, not dragging it across the fabric which could cause streaks and grind the dust in.

By now most of the dust should be off.  If it is ground in, I'd wash anything washable before I would ever take it to a dry cleaners. 

Dry cleaner would be my last resort in getting out simple dirt/dust, unless the fabric is actually a dry-clean only fabric, like wool blends or silk blends.  Not with garb, but other fabrics, I've actually dry cleaners turn me down because they knew the chemicals would likely damage the garments in question. 

Good luck.  I'm sure it will all "come out okay" - pun intended.   :D

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I ha e actually put my garb in the tub and gently washed out the dust and dirt. Amway has LOC, liquid organic cleaner. With a good rinse, I then hang my garb on the clothesline to dry in a good breeze. Garb looks good as new, even with trims and glass pearls.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde