News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do people wear fox tails at renaissance faires?

Started by Cobaltblu, May 10, 2009, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kruzar

I wear mine because I like it... and I am able to wear it proudly...   and besides I like when wenches come up and tug on it.. :)
Gentleman Rogue

Dinobabe

I wear an African horse tail fly swatter.  Everyone wants to know where I got it! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

VIII

Not sure when or why, but it just seems like a way to sell and use a mostly discarded part of an animal.

What do I care, it gives me a reason to ogle!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Celtic Lady

Quote from: Dinobabe on May 13, 2009, 04:34:56 PM
I wear an African horse tail fly swatter.  Everyone wants to know where I got it! ;)
I have one of those. I bought it at a tack shop and used it to shoo flies from my horse's head when we were out riding.

Pinn

Lairde Guard'n has a wonderful story about why some of us wear tails...........need to get him to tell it sometime. I can't remember all of it, I might have been drinking.  ::)
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

eloquentXI

Quad-ditto to Wenchie.

I'm slowly getting a menagrie of tails, I've been promised one from a dear friend and am looking to get another one at TRF in the Fall, which will bring me to 4 once that's all said and done. I've only got 2 right, a gorgeous dark fox tail and then a cream mixed, with a bit of dark brown and honey fox tail. They are pretty.  ;D You can never have too much tail.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Dinobabe

Quote from: Celtic Lady on May 29, 2009, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on May 13, 2009, 04:34:56 PM
I have one of those. I bought it at a tack shop and used it to shoo flies from my horse's head when we were out riding.

But how did your horse feel about that? ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Captain Jack Wolfe

Cinco de ditto to Wenchie's earlier sentiment.  Besides, what's a Wolfe without a tail?  And I don't mean the one he's chasing at the moment.   ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Seonaid

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 11, 2009, 09:33:43 AM
It's a renfaire things which has no real historical basis. The Flea Fur is a modern costuming myth.

I'm pretty dure the flea fur isn't a costuming myth. http://www.naergilien.info/interesting_costumes/Unknown_Lady_Segar.jpg shows a 16th century woman holding a flea fur, as does http://personalpedia.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/anguissola-portrait-of-isabel-de-valois-1563-65.jpg

The fox tail thing could be an different interpretation of this fashion, but flea furs did certainly exist.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Seonaid on June 12, 2009, 04:01:08 AM
It's a renfaire things which has no real historical basis. The Flea Fur is a modern costuming myth.

I'm pretty dure the flea fur isn't a costuming myth. http://www.naergilien.info/interesting_costumes/Unknown_Lady_Segar.jpg shows a 16th century woman holding a flea fur, as does http://personalpedia.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/anguissola-portrait-of-isabel-de-valois-1563-65.jpg

The fox tail thing could be an different interpretation of this fashion, but flea furs did certainly exist.
Medieval clothing and textiles - by Robin Netherton, Gale R. Owen-Crocker - 2006.
Zibellini as a luxury accessory.
Dress at the Court of Henry VIII evidence is drawn primarily from the great wardrobe accounts, wardrobe warrants, and inventories, and is interpreted using evidence from narrative sources, paintings, drawings and a small selection of contemporary garments.
The Medici Archives also contain letters, wardrobe accounts, inventories, bills, and receipts for cloth merchants, tailers, goldsmiths and furriers.
Most researchers into wardrobe accounts agree that these furs were considered luxury accessories and status symbols much like mink coats are today.
So far to this date - no wardrobe accounts for Renaissance households refer to these furs as attractors for fleas.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

groomporter

Yeah, it's not fur accessories were not worn in the Renaissance, they were, it's just that the concept of using them as "flea furs" seems to be a later, possibly Victorian era, explanation for these accessories.

There is also seems to a tiny minority of people who wear fur tails because they have fantasy personas who are animal shapeshifters.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Mistress Cherry

I was given one because someone thought I was "foxy" that day and wanted to watch it swish behind me. What other reasons do you need? Besides, they feel nice.

Cobaltblu

Maybe they were gag gifts, like here take this wonderful luxury fur...which will give you fleas.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Carl Heinz

Fortunately, or unfortunately, ye olde Costuming Dept at RPFS whon't allow fox tails for participants.

Don't know if this has changed since I've seen them worn by some booth workers.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Rowan MacD

But some people like wearing them and there's no reason not to....since faires are for having fun.
Medieval clothing and textiles - by Robin Netherton, Gale R. Owen-Crocker - 2006.
Zibellini as a luxury accessory.

That's what I always thought.....it's just for fun!  I have three 2 raccoon and one fox. 

On a related subject:

How much is a reasonable price for an 8" raccoon tail?  A 12" red or silver fox? A wolf tail (though I've never seen one)
  Anybody?

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt