News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do people wear fox tails at renaissance faires?

Started by Cobaltblu, May 10, 2009, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/haironhides.html

This website sells all kinds of tails and furs and I think the prices are reasonable.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Sabina

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 12, 2009, 08:05:00 AM
Medieval clothing and textiles - by Robin Netherton, Gale R. Owen-Crocker - 2006.
Zibellini as a luxury accessory.
Dress at the Court of Henry VIII evidence is drawn primarily from the great wardrobe accounts, wardrobe warrants, and inventories, and is interpreted using evidence from narrative sources, paintings, drawings and a small selection of contemporary garments.
The Medici Archives also contain letters, wardrobe accounts, inventories, bills, and receipts for cloth merchants, tailers, goldsmiths and furriers.
Most researchers into wardrobe accounts agree that these furs were considered luxury accessories and status symbols much like mink coats are today.
So far to this date - no wardrobe accounts for Renaissance households refer to these furs as attractors for fleas.

Well Wikipedia isn't helping debunk the idea that a Zibellino (the singular form of Zibellini) is a "flea fur":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zibellino

However after looking at these I must say... I want one!

Authenticity for ye win...
Sabina de Bulpit, offering Surety Bond and Torture Services since the 16th century

Cobaltblu

Maybe it was a "gag" gift which people would give to others and say it was a sign of high class but really just gave people fleas.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

It is really a wonder anyone would carry a flea fur. Fleas like blood and would thus be drawn to the fur on the flea fur and it would give them a home to bred in and then move over to the host for a free easy meal. This would have then made it easier to catch things like the plague. And since a flea fur does not have blood, a flea would not stay long on that item except maybe to bred and to hide in.

But then again this is modern science and medicine talking and not Renaissance Science and Medicine
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Quote from: Lady de Laney on June 17, 2009, 10:59:26 AM
It is really a wonder anyone would carry a flea fur. Fleas like blood and would thus be drawn to the fur on the flea fur and it would give them a home to breed in and then move over to the host for a free easy meal. This would have then made it easier to catch things like the plague. And since a flea fur does not have blood, a flea would not stay long on that item except maybe to breed and to hide in.
I'm with you on this, and also: given the prevalence of fleas, I'm guessing they probably had a LOT of firsthand, practical knowledge about living with pests.

I don't see why a zibellino would be any more likely to attract fleas than a fur stole would today.

groomporter

You're right they wouldn't attract fleas, but facts often do not get in the way of people's beliefs and behaviours. Look at homeopathy for example.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Muffin

I am a Beer Wench at MNRF and wear a tail.. Whenever anyone asks me why I have a tail, my response is always "Well everyone likes a little tail with their beer" *wink* and then shake the toosh a little.. hee hee!  :D :-* Usually that response gets a laugh (and a tip)

In reality I always believed it was a flea catcher.. Whether that's true or not, it doesn't matter.. I think its fun! and my tail just happens to match my hair color almost exactly!  ;D So it works!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Blushing

Aye, it is indeed fun!

Although I do admit to removing my tail when I recently taught some Girl Scouts about the real Renaissance at a faire.  And there have been faires where the wearing of tails by workers is not allowed.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Blue66669

My tail is about 3 feet long and black and white. Some say I'm a sort of "lemur". It's teh awesome, I love my tail. Coolest... tail... EVAR!
Blaidd Drwg

Woodland Artisan

I have no idea about the historical accuracy or effectiveness of those tails or "flea furs" but I did sell a few of the tails at fairs 2 years ago that I had been given by a friend in Alaska.  She bought pelts from a trapper up there and made all sorts of products.  The tails were leftovers that really didn't have much use or value even though they were some very very pretty furs like crystal fox, blue fox, mink, etc.

Now, as far as actually historically accurate ...  Look into "flea traps".   I make these out of wood but the few surviving ones from the Ren timeperiod are made from bone, ivory, etc.   They do work  (don't ask, HA!) and are an interesting addition to garb.

isabelladangelo

Are the tails, as worn at the Renn Fest, accurate?  Absolutely NOT!   Actually, the closest thing in period is not the zibellini (which would have been decorated and was normally an entire pelt) but this painting: http://www.univie.ac.at/cga/art/beggars.jpg

Notice anything about that painting?   Everyone wearing the tails is a begger/homeless.  The people that wore "tails" in period were considered asylum worthy crazy which is why my persona stays as far away from them as she can.  ;-)

Now, on the topic of zibellini you can find a lot of paintings/evidence here:
http://www.larsdatter.com/zibellini.htm

No, they are not flea furs (that's why you have a dog!) but protective amulets (like coral is for children in the period).  They wore the entire pelt and were connected by a chain to the girdle of the wearer usually.   They often have gems or some other decoration on them depending on the status of the individual.  

Rowan MacD

I do get folks who ogle, touch or stop/slow down and ask about the tail (I always wear mine)
   I make up a story depending on my mood.  My favorite is the 'ranking system' for wenches.
1-(small) tail-novice wench (the listener can take that to mean what they want)
1-large or 2 tails-Veteren wench in charge of (whatever.) 
2-3+ tails-Braggart! 

Tails on men-Hmmmmm.  You have to assume the tail(s) were procured from wenches by whatever funny story they can make up on the spot.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Tink

I knew there was a reason I wore 3 tails...  LOL
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Blue66669

Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 23, 2010, 03:05:49 PM
   I do get folks who ogle, touch or stop/slow down and ask about the tail (I always wear mine)
   I make up a story depending on my mood.  My favorite is the 'ranking system' for wenches.
1-(small) tail-novice wench (the listener can take that to mean what they want)
1-large or 2 tails-Veteren wench in charge of (whatever.) 
2-3+ tails-Braggart! 

Tails on men-Hmmmmm.  You have to assume the tail(s) were procured from wenches by whatever funny story they can make up on the spot.

Well???? What happens when you have one HUGE tail??? What then???
Blaidd Drwg