News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do people wear fox tails at renaissance faires?

Started by Cobaltblu, May 10, 2009, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumbaRue

I have a coyote tail, haven't worn it but once, but maybe I should more often. :D

There's more coyotes around here where I live.

pun intended ;D
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: blue66669 on June 24, 2010, 02:33:01 AM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 23, 2010, 03:05:49 PM
1-large or 2 tails-Veteren wench in charge of (whatever.)     
Well???? What happens when you have one HUGE tail??? What then???

You are VERY important wench, and should be feared!  ;D

And I want to know where I can get a really big tail!  ^_^ 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

groomporter

For a couple years we had a repeat game customer at MNRF who wore 9 tails. He said he was a Kitsune an anime,manga fox character. Apparently the more tails a kitsune has (up to nine) the older, wiser, and more powerful it is...
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Blue66669

Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 26, 2010, 08:50:14 AM
Quote from: blue66669 on June 24, 2010, 02:33:01 AM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 23, 2010, 03:05:49 PM
1-large or 2 tails-Veteren wench in charge of (whatever.)     
Well???? What happens when you have one HUGE tail??? What then???

You are VERY important wench, and should be feared!  ;D

And I want to know where I can get a really big tail!  ^_^ 

At TRF, I have a friend who owns a shoppe called All About Talez. Most awesome tails EVAR!
Blaidd Drwg

wickedwillingwench

Quote from: Welsh Wench on May 10, 2009, 06:08:53 PM
I wear a tail because I can. I like it.

But my two-pence here--I think any woman worth her independent thinking would balk at wearing a tail to signify they 'belong' to someone.  :)

in reading this thread, this is what stuck out to me...why would a woman balk at wearing a tail or anything else to signify belonging??  Most of us wear wedding rings, eh?

Tink

I think the difference there is that the wedding ring signifies our mutual commitment, whereas wearing something to show belonging signigies the wearer as a thing instead of a person (at least that's how I interpret it.)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

groomporter

And there IS a certain percentage of the population that is into the "belonging" thing more seriously than others...
A few years back my wife was up late and sleepless with pneumonia and woke me up when she saw someone on Jerry Springer that we knew from the fair connections and who was a guest on "Jerry" along with his "slave"  :o

-But it doesn't have to be along "property" lines -it could just be used as "livery" or "house colors" to show loyalty to a liege or family.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Becky10

So, I have to ask, does anyone ever get those random moments of "aw poor dead thing" when they buy a tail? Cause I have been trying to get one for about 3 years now and every time I get close someone points out how similar it is to my dog's and I freak.  :-\
I am going to have to bite the bullet, part from anyone who knows my dog and buy one this next go around! :D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Blue66669

Becky, getting one that's very unnaturally colored really kills that instantaneous OMGTHISUSEDTOBEALIVE feeling.
Blaidd Drwg

Delireus

It's not that I'm against animal fur, I just really freak out when I touch a tail and feel the skin in the middle. That's true for live animals too, I hate to feel a dogs tail and feel their skin. And rodents, i hate to touch their tail. But I very much want one, perhaps I'll buy one, hook it on my belt and never touch it? :/
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

wickedwillingwench

yanno, i am all for personal choice and to each his own and all that...it's just WEIRD to me to see a furry tail growin outta someone's a**.   Looks they are the wrong end of a fox dinner.  Ick.

I'll stick with wearing rooster feathers on my head. :P

Auryn

I used to want a tail.
This year I had saved up and was all ready to go pick one out, then I felt it and could feel the tail bones inside. I dropped it like it was a live coal and haven't thought about getting one since.
I work with leather, I wear leather,however I am completely against wearing fur.
For some reason in my mind I had this idea that the tails were either synthetic or made of like rabbit fur or some other animal that is dispatched to be eaten- I don't know where the idea came from but thats what I thought.

So now no more tails for me.

In regards to the belonging thing, to each his own and as long as both people agree, more power to  em
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Tink

Quote from: Auryn on June 27, 2010, 06:27:44 PM
For some reason in my mind I had this idea that the tails were either synthetic or made of like rabbit fur or some other animal that is dispatched to be eaten- I don't know where the idea came from but thats what I thought.

I thought that as well, which is why I went ahead and procured some.  Found out last trip to faire that the animals (at least for this particular vendor) are bred solely for their fur.  No new tails for me.

Becky10

;D Good to see I am not the only one! Lol
Quote from: Tink on June 27, 2010, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: Auryn on June 27, 2010, 06:27:44 PM

I thought that as well, which is why I went ahead and procured some.  Found out last trip to faire that the animals (at least for this particular vendor) are bred solely for their fur.  No new tails for me.

This is why I only get fur from second hand cause not buying it isn't going to make it spring back to life and it doesn't go to the demand for fur.Unfortunately Goodwill doesn't usually have tails there  :D I am not anywhere near calling someone who does wear fur a murderer and am fine with people who do wear fur, i just feel very guilty when i do.

Maybe I can "acquire" my brothers...

EDIT:
Ha, is it a cruel irony that right after i posted this the SPCA commercial came on so i changed the channel and it was about the use of animals for food and clothing?
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Tink

Quote from: Becky10 on June 29, 2010, 09:26:04 PM
This is why I only get fur from second hand cause not buying it isn't going to make it spring back to life and it doesn't go to the demand for fur.Unfortunately Goodwill doesn't usually have tails there  :D I am not anywhere near calling someone who does wear fur a murderer and am fine with people who do wear fur, i just feel very guilty when i do.

Maybe I can "acquire" my brothers...

I agree with ya'.  As long as I'm eating them, I'd be a hypocrite saything anything to anyone wearing them.