News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why do people wear fox tails at renaissance faires?

Started by Cobaltblu, May 10, 2009, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molden

Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Delireus

I found this site from another posting here on RF on a different board :D The circle of links is complete.

Anyways, these are cool looking zibellini furs i think - http://topsyturvydesign.com/catalog.php?item=27&catid=11&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D11 fun stuff
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Toua Taru

I have a fox tail that I've been wearing for a few faires now, it's part of my character, I'm a fox demon of sorts! I've been contemplating on constructing a pair of ears to cover my human ones to complete the effect.

Also, I do enjoy hearing "you have a nice tail" from time to time  ;)
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

FortuneRose

My 2 (almost 3) year old loves to wear them because....well, he thinks he is a puppy when he has it on.   ;D
LLVW

Toua Taru

Aw I think that's absolutely adorable!! And an excellent excuse to wear one  ;D
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

As much as I have seen people wearing furred tails, I have wondered the  same thing.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Luciana

Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

isabelladangelo

A fur trader would have worn clothing lined with fur or had a fur purse/pouch -not just a tail.  Like I've posted months ago now, a fur tail represented a begger/one who was mentally insane in period.  Not something most people would want to be!   It's the precursor to the tin hat.  How else did you keep the aliens away prior to tin foil?  ;)

TheAlchemistsStar

I have a leather pouch that has a bit of fur attached to the bottom but I don't wear an actual tail myself.  It just doesn't seem very..."me".  I was a bit surprised back in June, however, to find scores of shops in Seoul, Korea with tails of all shapes, colors, and sizes.  Most were priced between 10,000 and 20,000 won (about 1200 won = $1) and had various fur heads with glass eyes attached.  It was a bit creepy. 
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

The Lady Mercedes

I got one not too long ago...I don't know why, but I like it lol. It's gray, dark gray, & white.
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Molden

Whilst being flogged by the Golden Goddess at BARF - she tattered my tail. We've had LOTS of fun with the innuendos/double-entendres about it - 

for instance, I "gave her a tip" when I presented the severed tail tip to her.

for awhile it was in 2 sections - the main coming off the back of my belt, then had a long stringy attachment to a tuft at the end - which of course, I pronounced myself a "poodle"...

And when I got a replacement at Scarby, I removed the damaged tail and hung it off of my cutlass hilt. I called it a pyrates' favorite thing -

a piece of tail on the side!  ;)

As I said - I wear 'em because it's fun.  8)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

The Other Aenor

Another reason for foxtails from the Middle Ages was something courtesans wore beneath thin, extremely tight gowns to cover their butt-cracks.  ;D No joke; John I (Lackland) was a notorious lecher and had a plethora of court whores, known as courtesans, they were the micro-mini club skanks of their day. Lol. They didn't generally wear an overgown or a long chemise, so navel dimples and everything showed. to cover the booty-cleft, they would align the foxtail right down the crack! The flea idea sounds better, imo!!

isabelladangelo

Quote from: The Other Aenor on April 30, 2014, 12:53:06 AM
Another reason for foxtails from the Middle Ages was something courtesans wore beneath thin, extremely tight gowns to cover their butt-cracks.  ;D No joke; John I (Lackland) was a notorious lecher and had a plethora of court whores, known as courtesans, they were the micro-mini club skanks of their day. Lol. They didn't generally wear an overgown or a long chemise, so navel dimples and everything showed. to cover the booty-cleft, they would align the foxtail right down the crack! The flea idea sounds better, imo!!

Sorry, but no.  This is another Renn Faire ism.   Although there is some evidence for all ladies wearing fox tails beneath their gowns in the late 14th century - this was to make a slight bustle affect much like in the late 19th century.  It had nothing to do with courtesans.  Also, King John was early 13th Century.  The dresses of that time always had very, very full skirts. 

Also, PLEASE, double check dates on when a thread was last posted to.  This was last posted to YEARS ago.  I believe there was even another newer thread on this subject just a few months ago.  If anyone wants to bring up the topic again, it's better forum/message board practice to just create a new thread and link back to the old ones. 

Rowan MacD

Isabella- I know what you're talking about , but I think it's part of another one unrelated to this. fox tails and tails only lead back to this thread.   
  Perhaps in Garbing or something like that.  I know the subject came up as recently as 2013.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on April 30, 2014, 08:44:59 AM
  Isabella- I know what you're talking about , but I think it's part of another one unrelated to this. fox tails and tails only lead back to this thread.   
  Perhaps in Garbing or something like that.  I know the subject came up as recently as 2013.

Found it!

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php/topic,15625.0.html

July 2013 - which is more recent that 2010.   ;D