News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Greatest Movie Sword Fights

Started by DuCoeur, May 18, 2008, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgan Dreadlocke

Quote from: BLAKDUKE
I made it out of  aluminium and it stills weighs more that I would like to try and wield about.  Maybe someday I will have the answer.  Both of those blades were awesome, the width of the blades was absolutely incredible.

I'm thinking Beryllium/magnesium with an extremely hollow grind. The blades didn't seem to have much inertial mass when chopping up the set :-\. I'll bet the blade to blade clanging noises were dubbed in. BTW check out the close ups of the stone in the horsehead ring- Why does a "one of a kind" ring show up later with a similar but different stone? ::)

Back to topic, Interesting fight with rapier and main gauche combo in, "The Sword and the Rose" (old Disney costume flick).

My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

CountessofPhoenix

Just got back from the new Indiana Jones movie and there is an interesting rapier fight between 2 characters. Not going to give it away but wait for more peole to see it before spilling the beans!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

DT_Masters

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on May 19, 2008, 07:30:17 AM
For me
1.      Oliver Reed vs. anyone in "The Three Musketeers"  He fought hard, dirty and to win.  Which, I think, is the way to do it unless in a sanctioned duel.

More or less agreed, but I loved more his style of using the cape in his fights. The fling of a "cape", either as a weapon or not, is something that I've experimented with in dance. Btw, for the first entry, those Reed/York/Lee/Heston/Chaplin/Chamberlain movies were in the early 70's, not in 1979. I remember watching the first one around the time of the Yom Kipper War.

Second point about Athos: he took a lot of injuries. Maybe that is to be expected in fighting hard to win but remember in one of the final fights, afterwards, after he is getting bandaged, "Why is it always me?"

Morgan Dreadlocke

Browsin' through an old Cinema Classics catalouge and came across the followin synopsis-- "Longest sword duel in cinematic history". The movie was "Scaramouche" '52 Stewart Grainger. Anyone seen it?
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

renren

My favorite would have to be the scene in Scorpion King where Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson and Micheal Clarke Duncan bust their swords at the same time. Was an oops turned into an awesome scene!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

escherblacksmith

QuoteBrowsin' through an old Cinema Classics catalouge and came across the followin synopsis-- "Longest sword duel in cinematic history". The movie was "Scaramouche" '52 Stewart Grainger. Anyone seen it?

yup, already popped up on the list 2 pages ago, lots of fantastic fencing scenes . . .

one of my faves.
--

VIII

Gerard Depardieu, Cyrano de Bergerac (1990), the "Fight against one hundred" still gets me up and screaming at the screen!

William Hobbs is the Fight Director for the Three/Four Musketeers, Excalibur, and many others.  Noted for his street-brawl-style of sword fighting.  The Adapted Hobbs Method is used by the AASSCC, the school under which I am certified.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Morgan Dreadlocke

Quote from: escherblacksmith

yup, already popped up on the list 2 pages ago, lots of fantastic fencing scenes . . .

one of my faves.

Flay me fer a blind old fool!

DuCoeur

Bill Hobbs...Yes.  Thank you VIII.  I had been meaning to go back and look.

I much prefer his Gritty,  "reality" based style, to the flash and acrobatics of Andersons.

Don't get me wrong, Anderson has produced some of the best choreography on screen (POTC, LoTR, Zorro, Star Wars etc...).  I just prefer the intensity of Hobbs.

I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Al-Nimer

Quote from: CountessofPhoenix on May 23, 2008, 12:29:04 AM
Just got back from the new Indiana Jones movie and there is an interesting rapier fight between 2 characters. Not going to give it away but wait for more peole to see it before spilling the beans!
I agree!  That and the fight already mentioned in Prince Caspian are the best ones currently out in theatres.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Elennare

Lots of great movies in this list, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned Last Samuri yet.  It has a lot of good fights in it.  It'll take me thinking awhile to come up with my top 5.

I'll also like to give an "honorable" mention to Ultraviolet for best sword fights off screen.  It could have been a good movie for the cool fights if nothing else, instead of the aweful piece of crap it ended up being, if they hadn't panned the camera away for EVERY cool fight in the movie (i.e.  huge build up, camera pans away, fighty noises, camera pans back to see dead bad-guys).
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

DT_Masters

Another note: always loved the fencing challenge with the trampolines in "Theatre of Blood".

Lord Dragonspyre

I personally kinda liked the practically one-sided fight between Leonidas and that giant freak in 300. No matter how good he was, Leonidas was just overpowered. it was only through sheer luck that he managed to win.

Also, I agree with some of the previous takes:

Catherine McCormack vs Oliver Platt in Dangerous Beauty. Just a fun fight all around.

Peter Pevensie vs King Miraz in Narnia: Prince Caspian.

And just because I like to make people shudder...

Anakin vs Obi-Wan and Yoda vs Palpatine in Star Wars: Episode III. Brutal fights, especially the Anakin/Obi-Wan battle.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

renaissance guy

I tend to prefer the fights that don't rely on as much fast camera action or effects so my favs would probably be

1)  Princess Bride - Wesley vs. Inigo

2)  Pirates of the Caribbean - Jack vs. Will

3)  First Knight - Lancelot vs. Malagant

Other cool ones - Willow, Return of the Jedi, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Lord of the Rings, The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo, Gladiator, 300

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Lord Dragonspyre on June 17, 2008, 07:23:40 AM
I personally kinda liked the practically one-sided fight between Leonidas and that giant freak in 300. No matter how good he was, Leonidas was just overpowered. it was only through sheer luck that he managed to win.

Also, I agree with some of the previous takes:

Catherine McCormack vs Oliver Platt in Dangerous Beauty. Just a fun fight all around.

Peter Pevensie vs King Miraz in Narnia: Prince Caspian.

And just because I like to make people shudder...

SHUDDERING UNCONTROLABLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anakin vs Obi-Wan and Yoda vs Palpatine in Star Wars: Episode III. Brutal fights, especially the Anakin/Obi-Wan battle.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel