News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Greatest Movie Sword Fights

Started by DuCoeur, May 18, 2008, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryPrincess

Quote from: Phillip McGuinness on May 21, 2008, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: DuCoeur on May 20, 2008, 05:21:23 PM
The Duelist was a Great Movie, one of Ridley Scotts very First Films.  It was Choreographed, By the way, by the same guy who did Richard Lesters 3 Musketeers, Dangerous Beauty, Rob Roy And the Count of Monte Christo.  He has also done hundreds of other films.

His name escapes me at the moment.  Any Help??  He may have even done Princess Bride.  Or was that Bob Anderson???

Princess Bride was Bob Anderson. Don't know the name you're looking for, and I hadn't even realized all those movies were the same choreographer! Cool beans.

William Hobbs

So, essentially, we all enjoy the movie fights that Bob Anderson, William Hobbs, Huan-Chiu Ku (and also Nick Gillard, depending on your feelings about Star Wars) were in charge of?
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

VIII

Oh, the down-and-dirty street fighting in the early parts of "Flesh + Blood" by Paul Verhoeven with Rutger Hauer and Brion James (both from "Blade Runner") and Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Burlinson, Jack Thompson.

The later fights... not so much.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

BubbleWright

The Mark of Zorro (1940) with Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone has been mentioned in this thread a number of times. Just caught this on TCM. I don't know anything about fencing/sword fighting (theatrical or period correct) but I was was astounded by the speed of the final sword fight. It might be interesting to figure out how many times the blades crossed each other versus the time of the fight.

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

BLAKDUKE

You should have stayed up a little longer(if you could) and you would have seen 2 more movies as good if not better, Adventures of Don Juan, and Cyrano DeBergerac.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel