News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Period Recipes

Started by DonaCatalina, May 14, 2009, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

A lot of these recipes look inedible to modern sensibilities.
Chicken with Lemons
To make the best Chicken with Lemons
To boyle a Capon larded with Lemons. Take a fair Capon and truss him, boyl him by himselfe in faire water with a little small Oat-meal, then take Mutton Broath, and half a pint of White-wine, a bundle of Herbs, whole Mace, season it with Verjuyce, put Marrow, Dates, season it with Sugar, then take preserved Lemons and cut them like Lard, and with a larding pin, lard in it, then put the capon in a deep dish, thicken your broth with Almonds, and poure it on the Capon.
Note: Verjuice : The acidic juice of crab apples or other sour fruit, such as unripe grapes.

Dressed Salmon Recipe
To make the best Dressed Salmon
An excellent way of dressing Fish. Take a piece of fresh Salmon, and wash it clean in a little Vinegar and water, and let it lie a while in it, then put it into a great Pipkin with a cover, and put to it some six spoonfuls of water and four of Vinegar, and as much of white-wine, a good deal of Salt a handful of sweet herbs, a little white Sorrel, a few Cloves, a little stick of Cinamon, a little Mace; put all these in a Pipkin close, and set it in a Kettle of seething water, and there let it stew three hours. You may do Carps, Eeles, Trouts, &c. this way, and they Tast also to your mind.

Almond Jumballs Recipe
To make the best Almond Jumballs
To make Almond Jumballs. Take a pound of Almonds to halfe a pound of double refined Sugar beaten and Searced, lay your Almonds in water a day before you blanch them, and beat them small with your Sugar; and when it is beat very small, put in a handfull of Gum-dragon, it being before over night steeped in Rose-water, and halfe a white of an Egge beaten to froth, and halfe a spoonfull of Coriander-seed as many Fennell and Ani-seeds, mingle these together very well, set them upon a soft fire till it grow pretty thick, then take it off the fire, and lay it upon a clean Paper, and beat it well with a rowling pin till it work like a soft past, and so make them up, and lay them upon Papers oyld with Oyle of Almonds, then put them in your Oven, and so soon as they be throughly risen, take them out before they grow hard.

Steak Pie Recipe
To make the best Steak Pie
To make a Steake pye, with a French Pudding in the Pye. Season your Steaks with Pepper & Nutmegs, and let it stand an hour in a Tray then take a piece of the leanest of a Legg of Mutton and mince it small with Suet and a few sweet herbs, tops of young Time, a branch of Penny-royal, two or three of red Sage, grated bread, yolks of Eggs, sweet Cream, Raisins of the Sun; work altogether like a Pudding, with your hand stiff, and roul them round like Bals, and put them into the Steaks in a deep Coffin, with a piece of sweet Butter; sprinkle a little Verjuyce on it, bake it, then cut it up and roul Sage leaves and fry them, and stick them upright in the wals, and serve your Pye without a Cover, with the juyce of an Orange or Lemon.
1545 - 'A Propre new booke of Cokery'
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Dinobabe

They sound good to me! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

brier patch charlie

Charles Coleman

DeadBishop

We have a performer at MNRF, Alice the Cook, who does period cooking demos.  She also has her own website and has a couple of period recipe books for sale as well.  I have the first book, and it has some of the best recipes I have ever tried.

http://alicethecook.com/

R/F.com member since 2003

Alice the Cook

Thanks for the personal nod.  I really appreciate it.  My website has recipes and links to sites that sell my cookbook.  MacGregor Historical Games carries them as well.
What's Cooking?
Alice the Cook

Magister

Outside of the numerous, and exotic period recipe collections available on the internet these days, I saw a news article on the BBC about how for the first time they are going to release a collection of recipes compiled during the reign of Richard II as an online e-book.

I went to the Libraries website, and found the listing, but unfortunately don't have the credentials necessary to view.  If only we could find someone with an Athens login.. hmm ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/8108213.stm

http://catalogue.library.manchester.ac.uk/TalisPrism/browseResults.do?&expandedWorkID=0.1&browse_action=9057&rootRSetId=121f97c057100000&browse_RootRSetId=121f97c057100000&displayRowPath=0&pageSize=10&menuBarTag=search&displaySearchAsText=false&openRowPathSet=0:0

Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

coleenr

I've had the hardest time finding period recipes online and recipe books.  Thanks for posting this thread!

bellevivre

Didnt see this already posted:

http://www.godecookery.com/gcooktoc/gcooktoc.htm

They have GREAT redactions of period recipes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

midnightferret

bellevivre, that's one of my favorite sites!

Aiacha

Oh, I have to share this book...
http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeares-Kitchen-Renaissance-Recipes-Contemporary/dp/0375509178

My first year at Pennsic, there was a chef in our neighbor camp who did a feast completely out of this book.  Delicious!  They have some of the actual recipes in there and then translated (according to one review, for better or for worse) for modern times.  I highly suggest the Califlower with orange sauce and the herb pie.  For the record, he made everything on a couple coleman camping stoves and one of those camping ovens that go on the stove.

midnightferret

Neat book, Aiacha.

I also have had visions of having a "perioid" feast in camp at TRF, even going so far as to collect quite a bit of period-looking feastware from various sources. I think I could almost host 12 people by now. Originally we were going to sell that stuff on Ebay and make a "profit," but we cleaned it all up and took pictures of it, and it was so pretty we just had to keep it... don'cha hate that? But I digress.

A lot of the faux-period recipes I make are time consuming and require a lot of cleanup, nevermind serving them out and cleaning up after 12 people and managing to have a great time myself?! It weird that I have these impulses because most of the food I do when I do modern entertaining is simple or make-ahead so I can enjoy my guests while they enjoy my food.

bellevivre

Ive always wanted to do a feast at TRF.. but I can never find anyone to commit to joining us, and it seems silly with just two people...
Belle the Kat

sealion

I recently purchased The Medieval Kitchen- Recipes from France and Italy. I've only tried a few recipes so far but thay have been good. Who knew ginger, cinnamon, and cloves sprinkled over chesse ravioli was so yummy?!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Aiacha

Quote from: midnightferret on July 02, 2009, 08:45:35 PM
Neat book, Aiacha.

I also have had visions of having a "perioid" feast in camp at TRF, even going so far as to collect quite a bit of period-looking feastware from various sources. I think I could almost host 12 people by now. Originally we were going to sell that stuff on Ebay and make a "profit," but we cleaned it all up and took pictures of it, and it was so pretty we just had to keep it... don'cha hate that? But I digress.

Quote from: bellevivre on July 02, 2009, 10:22:34 PM
Ive always wanted to do a feast at TRF.. but I can never find anyone to commit to joining us, and it seems silly with just two people...

Truthfully, it's something I've wanted to do as well, host a nice feast at TRF.  I've been to one which was "period" and a few at Pennsic with "period" foods.  I think if you were to host it, you'd be doing more running around than eating.  Maybe the three of us should put our heads together (*bonk* Ow!) and come up with a plan...

bellevivre

I was just thinking teh same thing- but really, prep can be done at home- gotta love vacuum sealers! I'm definitely planning some Gode Cookery items myself! (and yes, I am a lapsed SCAdian, and feast was ALWAYS my favourite part, esp when the site allowed it to be served by candlelight!)
Belle the Kat