News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Childcare

Started by Devneygirl, May 15, 2009, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devneygirl

Hi all!I am pretty new to faire life.Having only been to Ohio and K.Y.faires as a patron.My daughter has been working at faire with a friend for a few years now so I have a vague idea of how things operate.I myself would love to participate but have not been able to get it together as of yet.Anyway,I am aware of several vendors whom do have a problem with childcare during faire.I am curiuos if offering daycare services to vendors,performers and the like would go over well during faire?Thinking along the lines of setting up a tent in the camping area and providing lunch,snack,dinner,activities,playtime,stories,nap,etc.This would include infants up to whatever age supervision is needed.Thinking $50.00 an 8h.r.day is reasonable?Would love your opinions on this!Do you think there is a real need for this?Do you think management would allow?Thanks for your input :)

lys1022

There is actually a lovely lady who offers child-care for the participants at Scarborough, but I don't know her name.  Someone else here might.  You can occasionally see her charges moving about the faire in a group, all in garb.  Tres cute! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

knarlyknot

As a vendor myself, I'll say that childcare is very much needed.  We do not bring our young ones to TRF so we must find babysitters every weekend for 8 weeks, which can sometimes be difficult.  Knowing I had that option would be great, even if it was just for occasional use.  Excellent idea!

Ratcatcher

I think it's a terrific idea, and have wondered myself why no one does it here. 

I work at a preschool during the week, so I've already had my fill of other people's kids by the weekends and need a break.  But years ago, when my daughter was too young to be in faire without a guardian, and I was thought there was no way I could be a rennie, I thought about it.  Everyone I talked to was very supportive of the concept.  Do it!

Devneygirl

Sometimes you never know if your own crazy ideas will work so thanks for all of the positive response,very encouraging!I would really enjoy doing this as well as hoping to provide some good people with a safe,happy place for their wee ones at faire.I have emailed my local faire management, waiting on a response.Will let you know what I hear back! ;D

Tammy

I believe someone does this at CRF in NC as well.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Hoowil

Especially if you're thinking of doing as a faire related service, check and see what licensing and classes are required, as well as staff to child restrictions. I think its a wonderful idea, but you'll want to be as legit on paper as possible, to protect yourself, the faire, and the kids. I know around here, for infants (under 2 years), you have to have a care provider for every 2 or 4 children (depending on state funding), with more kids per adult for older kids. You'll want to know what the restrictions are in each area if you travel to different faires. Just something to keep in mind.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

ladyharrogate

CRF and several other festivals have childrens troupes.  You might check with you're local festival.  I work with the kids at CRF and I LOVE it.  Our troupe is performance based but we have performers kids and some of the game/merchants kids.  At some festivals you also have the option of keeping your child with you and performing as a team.  One note of caution.  Performing at festival can be very grueling for an adult, even more so for kids.  I make sure my childrens troupe take frequent breaks and spend time backstage.

As far as management goes you can call the office and ask.  I have seen some performers that end up doing childcare for traveling festival kids because they can make a few dollars doing it.  They have a backstage pass and many watch the kids in the campground area occasionally taking them out on site.  It really varies with the festival.  As to money, it just depends.  Many people that work festival do it for the love of it and basically make poverty wages to do what they love.  For those people paying $50 a day may be a huge amount.  However, there are others who would find that amount to be reasonable.  Like I said, talk to the faire office and you may see if there are any posts of this nature under the merchants section.

Tammy

Lady Harrogate...I thought I recognized that name!! Good to see you on the forums!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

bellevivre

as i understand, there are also Rennie-Nannies, who contract specifically with boothies, etc. I had a friend who did so at TRF and the other smaller faires- she had a cute covered wagon and all sorts of supplies and whatnot for the kids... they paid her as they would a babysitter, but for all-day care...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: lys1022 on May 15, 2009, 05:23:00 PM
There is actually a lovely lady who offers child-care for the participants at Scarborough, but I don't know her name.  Someone else here might.  You can occasionally see her charges moving about the faire in a group, all in garb.  Tres cute! :)

Thats Teacher Jenny, and she's awesome.  She does Scarby, CRF & Minn too I think.  she has a big tarp house here, an actual building in scarby, etc.  Parents can drop their kids off in the morning, she feeds them, does some teaching, hits the street with them about 1 and does bits with period childrens games, songs, dances, etc.  Love that lady.  used to camp next door.

not sure what she charges, but if you call the CRF site office an dtell them you are trying to reach her, they will prob'ly give you her number.  if not, ren mail me before end of july.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Keno

I did some baby sitting at the last faire I was at, I'm told to start a story corner to keep kids busy while the parent look at adult things.  It sounds like fun since I can't walk all the time..
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa