News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What are you wearing on your feet?

Started by Muffin, May 17, 2009, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

These come in black, gold, red, and soft gray:

These come in black, brown, duck-egg blue, and 'mauve' which looks pink!

This style comes in black, red, duck-egg and khaki:

For extra wide feet:

They come in a good range of sensible colours, unfortunately not the pink, ducke-egg, or bright red.  Or gold...  ???  ooooh!  But they do come in brown metallic and loganberry.  Can we say Purple?   ;D

Not cheap, but made here in the UK, and very comfy.  Also tough enough to wear to work every day as well as to fair.  I'm not one to skimp on shoes.  If you want good ones that are OK for this and mundane use, will stand lots of wear, and have feet that NEED cossetting (mine do when the fibro flares up!), or you are on your feet working at a fair, then you could go a long way and do worse.

tiberiusflynn

All these shoes look great....but does anyone know of any pirate style swashbucklers that are good for walking in all day?

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Margaret on May 26, 2009, 06:06:10 AM
I lucked out on my shoes.  I got them from Payless eons ago.  They are a brown fake leather look uppers with a nice thick sole.  They are so very comfy, I wear them with everything at faire.
I bought a pair of distressed (frayed looking uppers) black canvas maryjane flats from Payless for 12$. They look very much like any number of shoes being sold on Ren clothing sites but MUCH cheaper.  They are sooo comfortable and the rubber soles are thick enough to withstand the largest gravel in the parking lot.
   Payless inventory differs from store to store. Shopping for usable renaissance shoes is more luck than anything.  Go back each week until you see what you like, then buy two pair.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dayna

Windwalkers Rock!!!  I have two pair of 3 button, picking up my 6 botton mid-calf during Bristol as well as two pair of knee high's reclaimed from someone else and re-habbed by Tom and Mary.

Plus several pairs of sandals...

I don't even own any other shoes anymore, just Windwalkers

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

bellevivre

i have typically worn a pair of black leather mary jane style Borns, but this year I will probably wear my waterproof Merrel boots to TRF... two years ago closing weekend was SO wet and nasty, that even though we'll be going two weekends before, i dont want to take a chance!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Dev

I'm going hardcore and going barefoot for the warm part of the season.

Not completely barefoot.

http://store.sandysdancexpress.com/foot-thong.html

For the cooler part of the season

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XuhF74QlL._AA280_.jpg

FortuneRose

oh ouch!  My feet hurt just thinking about going barefoot....  of course my festival has mainly large gravel pieces as the lanes.
LLVW

Carl Heinz

The current site (and the one before it) are along lakes.  During the off season, the area is open for fishing.  Although we try to make sure all of the fish hooks are removed, it's not 100%.

A number of years ago, while I was still able to be in parades, I was carrying a banner and felt something sharp come through ye olde Birkies along the right side of my right foot.  Walked the balance by putting my weight on the inside of the  foot and after I'd cleared stage, I wa able the check my foot.  Found an open safety pin.

RPFN while at Blackpoint was largely a runoff during the rainy season.  Thick soled shoes helped avoid stone bruises.

In my experience, barefoot isn't a good idea and ye olde Costume Dept has it as a no-no for performers.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

lys1022

I know that the OP said that they don't want to bust the bank on shoes, but I have to say that if you're doing faire regularly, shoes / boots are the ONE thing that I recommend spending the money on.  You'd be amazed at how much better your day is when your feet are happy and comfortable.  So don't buy cheap shoes or cheap boots and hope that insoles will help.  You'll probably spend as much on shoes, boots, and insoles over a ten year period as you will if you just buy a GOOD pair of boots that will last you ten years, and your feet will be happier if you spend the money up front.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

temper

My Friend bought these from FootSmart (bright red)
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Propet-Womens-Ghillie-Walkers-70927.aspx
(she swears by them)
I usually wear either:
http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/
or
http://www.regalboots.com/regal-leather-boots.php
(the valiant)
And I can never buy another pair of shoes from Bald Mountain as they've retired :(
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

bellevivre

Wait- Bald Mountain is closed? I know Dreamshoes did, but i DIDNT know about Bald Mountain!!! Hubby will be so sad!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Carl Heinz

If you don't want/need boots, my Birkenstock London's are at least ten to fifteen year old and have been resoled several times.  Bought a reserve pair several years ago because of a good price and they're still virtually unused.  For reference, I remember wearing them at RPFN while it was still at Black Pointe.  Last time I checked, which was a while back, I think they were around $130.  Think I've gotten my money's worth.  As I've said earlier, a lot of us wear them.  As an aside, my wife wore Birkenstock Mary Janes as work shoes before she retired.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Aelynn of Georgina

For my first Ren Faire, and only for one day, would a simple pair of black ballet slippers be appropriate?  I do plan on getting a good pair of Mary Jane style shoes soon, but on short notice I have to work within my limited budget for now.

GirlChris

Quote from: misselaineous on June 29, 2009, 07:59:13 PM
For my first Ren Faire, and only for one day, would a simple pair of black ballet slippers be appropriate?  I do plan on getting a good pair of Mary Jane style shoes soon, but on short notice I have to work within my limited budget for now.

That's what I wore at two events this season- two FOUR DAY events. I didn't have to much trouble, but we were on grass. Grass is a bit more forgiving on your feet than, say, pavement or gravel. Ouchy! Also, watch the weather, as ballet slippers really aren't designed to keep your toes toasty.

Celtic Lady

Before I got my ghillies from Medieval Moccasins I wore my tennis shoes. I figured they were hidden beneath my skirts so who would care let alone notice. Besides they were very comfortable and provided support which was/is important to me.