News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Home, New Look, New Faces

Started by FaireMare, May 18, 2008, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistressCrowfeather

NAME: Laurel, but I go by Vi a lot
Joined RF: Before the crash.  Not sure when, a few years back?
Board "title" :  none
Participation At Faire:  Playtron at Bristol since I was 7, visited the Louisiana Ren Fest this past summer, and since I have just recently moved out East, I hope to attend the New York Renaissance Faire.
Garbing Experience: In the renaissance realm, I did a fantasy/scottish gown for my own wedding three years ago, and then I got into Elizabethan, and most recently, Spanish.  I've also created various Victorian ensembles, and would love to start creating Steampunk outfits.  You'll never get me away from ren-faire, though.

firefairy

Sorry but no pics as of yet, hopefully soon......

NAME:  Firefairy (also Lady Bella before the crash)
Joined RF:  Summmer of '07
Board "title" : none
Participation At Faire:  I just love faire, I have only been to TRF one season but fell in love.
Garbing Expereience:   made my first Garb before even knowing that there was a faire. Scottish garb white top, suade bodice, red plaid overskirt with black underskirt with ribbon trim. (that didn't last long) it was my first real sewing project. I still have the skirt but the bodice fell to pieces, he he. after that I made the Three Musketeers uniforms for my sons, and a matching Irish? style dress and chamis for myself. I also made a fairy costume (anly took about two hours) for holloween last year. I hope to have my first noble garb done by mid summer so that I have plenty of time to tweek it.
firefairy

Nailin

Nothing made by me I can only hem/trim

NAME: Lex aka Nailin' M'Crack
Joined RF: May 08'
Board "title" : N/A
Participation At Faire:  NCRF Cast 06' - 09' - Playtron at TRF, KYHRF, Ohio, Pittsburgh, MDRF/Revel Grove 08'
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

Aernn

(No picture handy, and don't sew much)
NAME: Aernn Cigfrin Cadwr
Joined RF: Last summer
Board "title" : N/A
Participation At Faire:  Playtron of Colorado Renaissance Festival
All know that only bards and pregnant women need ever explain themselves ~ Unknown (otherwise saying, can't remember)

Lady Marielle of Andorra

Name: Lady Marielle of Andorra
Joined RF:  November 2008
Board "Title" None - what do I have to do to get one!
Participation at Faire: Hubby and I have attended AZRF with our 3 daughters for the last 7 or 8 years.
Garbing Experience: None before spring of 2008. Since then, I've sewn 5 or 6 complete outfits, and several separate individual items (bodices, skirts, etc.)
Picture: Sorry - no current photo yet

Hi, everyone! Can't tell you how glad I am to find a spot where there are others who share my newfound passion for sewing garb. Although I used to sew all my own clothes in high school about a hundred years ago, I quit sewing in my early twenties, and have only just picked it up again. I have to say, you all put me to shame - so many pretty things and lovely projects. Everything garb I've sewn in the past year has been for my family - three teen daughters and my husband. One day, I'll start a project for myself. I'm very much an amateur, but I'm improving slowly. There's a fabric shop here in Pheonix called SAS - it's a buy-by-the-pound sort of place, where the fabric is sometimes great, sometimes of dubious quality, but inexpensive enough that you can experiment and practice with different stuff and not feel too badly if a project fails. Until my craftsmanship improves and I feel secure enough to buy good quality stuff, this is the type of place for me! I'm really embarassed to say that after attending every AZ fair at least four times per season for so many years, we never even knew what playtrons were, or that many of the gorgeous outfits we were seeing were being worn by faire-goers and not employees. Duh. We lead sheltered lives. So now I'm off and running on our own stuff, and when we attend opening day at AZRF this Saturday, my family will be decked out in garb that hopefully has improved somewhat from the things I made last year. It's been fun and educational, and I'm happy there is a place to go on this board where I can ask my dumb questions and improve my fledgling skills. Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures of their projects!

tcindie

I suppose I should post here, since I've been posting in other threads in this section and haven't properly introduced myself yet..

(garb photos are posted elsewhere, so I figured I'd throw up my headshot here)

NAME:  Will / tcindie (no fest name.. yet)
Joined RF:  April 23, 2009 - Newb here, but been around the 'net since before the web existed
Board "title" :  n/a
Participation At Faire:  MNRF Fencing booth (since '08), also volunteered a couple times many years ago at the old dunk tank at MNRF with a youth group
Garbing Expereience:  Primarily my own garb, though I've also done some things for friends.  Also interested in garbing for hire.. ;)

I was one of those lucky kids who had a stay at home mom growing up, and she being an avid quilter, naturally taught me how to sew.. so, I've been sewing on and off basically my whole life, though there isn't a great deal of need for me to sew in ordinary day to day life, so having fest as a motivation is good.  I also have done a few pieces for some short films I've been involved in, and will likely do much more of that in the not too distant future.

gillianmcgill

Hi! Gillian McGill here!

name: Lady Gillian McGill de Verona
joined R/F: before the crash, but have been absent for a year while at College
board "title": none
participation at Faire: Playtron at Sterling Renaissance Festival, Sterling NY
garbing experience: 1975-1981, made my own and others' uniforms British Royal Artillery and Colonial Armies; 1982-1996, did special orders uniforms for Rev War/ Civil War / Indian War re-enactors, as well as Native American garb for the powwow circuit.
I took 4 years off and moved back in time when I joined the Society for Creative Anachronism, and have settled into making garb ranging from 13th C. Burgundian to 16th C. Tudor, Venetian, and Florentine. I sew for myself and for others.
Playtron / SCA Persona: A Scotswoman wed to a Veronese merchant prince, widowed early and now in charge of a factoring house and small fleet of trading vessels. Before his untimely death, husband kept me occupied by paying for my art studies with several different Master Artists...which has me flitting about Sterling, drawing and painting the scenery and the various happenings of Her Majesty's summer progress.

I have no current photos but will be modeling the entire wardrobe for the camera before the summer is out  :)
Just because I have been doing fine sewing since my grandmother taught me to repair lace when I was 7, does not mean I can't learn a few new tricks. Hope to be here frequently now that I'm on summer break from classes!
Chronicler, Canton of Angels Keep
Barony of Delftwood
Sylvan Kingdom  of AEthelmearc
SCA
Auburn NY USA

LordPaulet

Hey all!!
IM BACK!!
To REINTRODUCE myself:
NAME:  Noah Adams, LP, William Paulet, Austin Tations, Francois D'Valois, and several others too inappropriate for this space :D
Joined RF:  Too long ago for me to remember.
Board "title" :  none that are official, though I am the guy that dissappears for months on end :D
Participation At Faire: Siouxland Renaissance festival cast(home faire), MNRF occasional cast member,  KCRF Playtron, and other local faires when I get the time and money :D
Garbing Expereience:  All self taught, but been sewing for about 8 years now.  holy moly thats crazy...and I do mostly work for myself, though I am always willing to make a friend a costume and will be MORE than happy to take YOUR money and make a beautiful costume :D
pic:

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

Cilean

b]NAME:[/b] Cilean Stirling, Wenchie "Mo", Arrianna of the Amethyst Myst

Joined RF: I think in 2009 but it could have been 2008 not sure!

Board "title":   Mangler of Fabric

Participation At Faire:  Began going to faires as a Playtron in 1975, then began to work faire as a costume seller (Dye Spot and Heart's Delight), and as an Interpretor for the Deaf within the Guild of St. Judes, worked Faires in California: Nothern and Southern Renaissance Pleasure Faires, SLO, Fresno, San Diego, all over. Ojai I was a featured Psychic.  Also part of the SCA since 1985, I have been part of 3 Kingdoms: An Tir, Caid, Kingdom of the West.

Garbing Experience: I have been sewing only since 1993, when my family moved to An Tir (no Faires  :-[ ) and I wanted more Historical and less faire wench garb.  So I bought a used Bernina, and tons of cotton, I have not stopped since.

My Era: I live primarily within 1560's to 1580's England, and France with jaunts to the Italian City States from 1450's to the 1580's. I enjoy searching for jewlery or making it myself, working on perfecting skills

I have for the first time, found a love not of the Renaissance, first with Regency fashions and then I found Steampunk and I will be making some cool things, I got my hubby into it as well when I found a hat that fits him! Score!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Magpie Flynn

NAME:  Magpie Flynn
Joined RF:  A few days ago, 2011
Board "title" :  None
Participation At Faire:  Paytron/Playtron TRF, Sherwood, Scarborough
Garbing Expereience:   Started about 6 years ago. Spent a year or two making fairy wings for fairy garb, moved on to gypsy garb, pirate, LotR-inspired gowns, and my somewhat H/A (as much as a college student's budget would allow) Henrician court gown. Next on the agenda is one of the costumes from the red riding hood movie that my sister requested, as well as Victorian Bustles that have been two years in the planning stage. I've dabbled in jewelry/chainmail and eventually I want to start making hats and shoes.

Hopefully this comes out small enough... But here's the court gown:

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

Lady Rebecca

Hmm, I never posted in this thread... I guess I've never formally introduced myself?  :-\
Name: Lady Rebecca
Joined RF: Spring 2009, I believe
Board title: None, to my knowledge
Participation at Fair: Playtron. I've been to Norman Medieval Faire, OKRF, Scarby, a small faire in Watsonville, GSLRF, Sterling, BARF, Lady Lake, Sarasota, and will be attending the socal Pleasure Faire for the first time in a couple weeks
Garbing Experience: I started sewing sometime around 2005, making some random Halloween and theatre costumes. Then when I went to college, I got a minor in costume design, worked in the costume shop, and did wardrobe for all the shows, as well as making more costumes. My jr year of college is when I first discovered faire, and I made garb for myself, and two other people before I even attended my first one. I have also worked in wardrobe at other pro theatres and theme parks. My costuming has really taken off in the last year (with the purchase of my Viking machine), and I have since made pirate garb, several community theatre costumes, my navy velvet Ren garb (and all its accessories, shown in my avatar), an 1860s outfit for myself and my mom, a frock coat for dad, a Medieval/fantasy outfit, a Chemise a la Reine, a 17th c gown, and a bunch of 18th c accessories, including my current project, a hand-quilted petticoat. In the last month, I have also officially started my own business, Lady Rebecca Fashions. You can find out more at LadyRebeccaFashions.com, ladyrebeccafashions.blogspot.com, and theladyrebecca.livejournal.com

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Magpie Flynn on March 30, 2011, 11:02:52 AM
NAME:  Magpie Flynn
Joined RF:  A few days ago, 2011
Board "title" :  None
Participation At Faire:  Paytron/Playtron TRF, Sherwood, Scarborough
Garbing Expereience:   Started about 6 years ago. Spent a year or two making fairy wings for fairy garb, moved on to gypsy garb, pirate, LotR-inspired gowns, and my somewhat H/A (as much as a college student's budget would allow) Henrician court gown. Next on the agenda is one of the costumes from the red riding hood movie that my sister requested, as well as Victorian Bustles that have been two years in the planning stage. I've dabbled in jewelry/chainmail and eventually I want to start making hats and shoes.

Hopefully this comes out small enough... But here's the court gown:

Welcome!
I hope you can make our opening day party at Scarby. 8:00am to 9:30 Row 11.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cofeeguru

NAME:  Claire, Cofeeguru on just about everything I'm on.
Joined RF:  June of '08
Board "title" :  N/A
Participation At Faire:  Fairgoer since '03? at MNRF, visited TRF, Chippewa Falls, Twig (*sniffle*) and am visiting Bristol for the first time this year!
Garbing Expereience:  Oh lordy, numerous skirts, chemises, dresses, the occasional bodice (which I HATE, I much prefer leaving that to more experienced people than I), cloaks, children's outfits, and I'm currently teaching my friend's daughter how to sew.  This year's endeavors: H/A farthingale, bloomers (done!) and, if the patterns show up, a hat (or more)!
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock