News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Utah School forces student to change out of kilt.

Started by DonaCatalina, May 18, 2009, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Pinn

For my guys a special occasion is because it's Monday
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

maelstrom0370

FTA- "Jessop told the boy that the outfit could be misconstrued as cross-dressing."

And you, sir, could be misconstrued as a douche bag.  Do your frikkin' homework before assuming everything tartan and knee-length is part of a Catholic School girl's uniform.

Dallan

Fight'n

Cobaltblu

I think the school was correct in that it could be misconstrued as cross-dressing because not everyone is aware that Scottish people sometimes wear kilts.

However they shouldn't have banned him from wearing it.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lady Christina de Pond

seriously you mean just because i woke up isn't a special occasion dag nabit

but come on if he wants to wear a kilt i don't see anything wrong with it any more than i see a girl wearing slack because she choose to.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Cobaltblu on May 18, 2009, 10:42:21 AM
I think the school was correct in that it could be misconstrued as cross-dressing because not everyone is aware that Scottish people sometimes wear kilts.

However they shouldn't have banned him from wearing it.

Regards,

CB

Seeing as he wore it for a school project, I'd wager he was in "full dress" (sporran, belt, etc).  Plus, how many girls where heavy wool skirts these days?

RenRobin

Loki-terr (in training)

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

DonaCatalina

I think one of the commenters said it best;
"How could a man with a clear view of "Ben Lomond" not understand the heritage that permeates this region. The wearing of a kilt is an ancient tradition and has nothing to do with cross-dressing."
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

ohhh I have so many politically incorrect thoughts about this... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Cobaltblu

The school assumes a man wearing something which could resemble a skirt to be cross-dressing BUT do they punish women who wear pants for cross-dressing?

If they did people would scream sexism and be outraged that the school felt women should only wear skirts.

Do they punish the "goth" guys who might wear face makeup?
Do they punish the lesbian girls who want to dress like a guy?

Non-bifurcated garments are worn today in many cultures by both sexes so saying that a man wearing one is cross-dressing is ridiculous.

And even if a man wears a garment which is undeniably a full dress what does it matter?  There is no law preventing men from wearing dresses.

At a minimum he could wear a non-bifurcated garment and claim he was just dressing like Jesus dressed and cry religious persecution.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.