News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Questions I Have About VARF 2009...Help Please?

Started by ++King of the Pirates++, May 18, 2009, 12:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

++King of the Pirates++

First, do many people that come to it dress up?

2nd, I was wondering what you guys think of my costume plan:

-White puffy, tunic type shirt (Pirates shirt pretty much)
-Red sash around waist with a belt over that with a pistol tucked into it.
-pinstripe pants tucked into my boots.
-Little bit of eye shadow to give me the tired, sunken-eye look.
-I have a piece of red silk that I thought about wrapping around my wrist and leaving part of it hanging down.
The part that's hanging I wanted to cut slits into it and give it streamers then I was going to tie little things to the streamers like crosses, shells, skulls, and pieces of eight.
(I'm going during the pirate weekend on the 30th).
-My piece of eight necklace, tan leather skull and crossbones bracelet, and a renaissance bracelet I made.

So what do you think?

The 3rd and final question is:

My friend Krystal is going and like many including myself is being hit pretty hard by the recession. Know anywhere that she could find cheap ren-faire clothes?

Thanks for all the help,

~Signed, Captain Jack Avery, King of the Atlantia Pirates~
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

fairydollmaker

I would also like to know if folks dress up for this faire?  we used to always go to Bristol faire and we always dressed up, its a big event for both WI and IL.
I think King of the Pirates outfit sounds perfect!  would like to see pix :)

will paisley

Quote from: ++King of the Pirates++ on May 18, 2009, 12:23:58 PM
First, do many people that come to it dress up?

2nd, I was wondering what you guys think of my costume plan:

-White puffy, tunic type shirt (Pirates shirt pretty much)
-Red sash around waist with a belt over that with a pistol tucked into it.
-pinstripe pants tucked into my boots.
-Little bit of eye shadow to give me the tired, sunken-eye look.
-I have a piece of red silk that I thought about wrapping around my wrist and leaving part of it hanging down.
The part that's hanging I wanted to cut slits into it and give it streamers then I was going to tie little things to the streamers like crosses, shells, skulls, and pieces of eight.
(I'm going during the pirate weekend on the 30th).
-My piece of eight necklace, tan leather skull and crossbones bracelet, and a renaissance bracelet I made.

So what do you think?

The 3rd and final question is:

My friend Krystal is going and like many including myself is being hit pretty hard by the recession. Know anywhere that she could find cheap ren-faire clothes?

Thanks for all the help,

~Signed, Captain Jack Avery, King of the Atlantia Pirates~

1) Quite a few people come dressed up.  On pirate weekend, there'll be a number of MDRF playtrons showing up to see the Pyrates Royale, and they'll almost all be in pirate garb.

2) The eyeshadow and silk around the wrists are items I'm not that used to seeing, but they don't sound bad.  Nobody there will judge you, and you're welcome to wear whatever you want (as long as you're wearing enough clothing to keep parents from covering their children's eyes).  Good idea not wearing a pirate coat - I suspect it'll be hotter than the inside of any of Cerebus' mouths that weekend.

3) WRT your friend Krystal, I suspect the corset will be the costliest item.  She can find a cheap peasant blouse at Wal-Mart for $10 or so (look in the pajama section), and finding or making a wrap around skirt isn't that hard (I'd check consignment stores or online for the skirt as opposed to the mall).  If you're unable to find an inexpensive bodice/corset before the faire, she could always buy one there as soon as she arrives.

Look forward to seeing you there - feel free to introduce yourself to the fat, grey haired guitar playing peasant, though don't be surprised if he's a bit busy the first half of the day.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

dinkywench

what size is your friend Crystal. I have stuff that I will sell her really cheap...maybe even some freebies.

Captain Dungcaster

"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

TheDivineM

Let your friend Krystal know that it's not necessary to have a corset or a renfaire "bodice" in order to dress up. It's not an item that most women had for much of the 16th century. It's not an item that any women were wearing on the outside then. It's more common to wear a dress (gown, kirtle). Try the Salvation Army or whatever thrift store you have nearby. There's lots of blouses and nightgowns that are similar to a smock (underwear, later called a shift or chemise if you're French). Check the skirt aisle for a skirt or two in a solid color, and check the dress aisle for a long solid color dress that can be taken in around the torso to be fitted at the top and full in the skirt. Take off the sleeves of the dress if they're short, cut out the neckline to be square and very wide, and cut down the front or back and add buttlonholes, eyelets, or trim with loops to lace up the opening.
Bang, cheap renaissance costume. Add an apron (lower half only), mary janes, tall socks/stockings and a kerchief for accessories.
It's also not necessary to wear a big belt to carry all your stuff on, that's a modern fashion statement. It's ok to carry a basket or a plain-looking bandolier bag (messenger bag shape).

Prefer pirate? Most women pirates that we know of were wearing mens' clothing for greater ease of movement on a boat. Same thrift store, baggy pants or capris, XL man's shirt or blouse, sash belt and/or vest, and headwrap or scarf.
Bang, cheap pirate costume. Add jewelry, trinkets and whatnot for fun.

FOR SAFETY'S SAKE:
Choose natural fiber fabrics (linen, silk, hemp, wool, cotton) as much as possible. It will be hot, and your skin needs to breathe and release heat and sweat. At the thrift store, check the tags of garments to make sure you are getting natural fabrics. You will be waaay more comfy and have the added side effect of having more historical, more durable and better-looking fabrics than most pre-made costumes. Luckily second-hand shops are full of linen, silk, and wool garments that people donated to avoid dry-cleaning. These are actually washable (they didn't have dry cleaning in the renaissance period), but only in cold/gentle, with less soap and line/flat dry, no machine dryer.

Happy dress-up!

Dallan

By all means darn your garb. This is our 4th year attending VARF although it feels like we've been attending forever. I just looked back at the pictures. Our garb was very simple and largely makeshift in year one. It's grown over the years. They'll be people in garb. Our first year I recall that there weren't too many, other than cast, who did dress but over the years it seems that more and more people do. What I can also share with you is how wonderful the cast is. That first year, perhaps in part because we were a family all in garb, the cast involved us often. We were so thrilled by the cast and how warm and engaging they were that we instantly fell in love with the faire. We'll be there this weekend. Sorry our paths won't cross.
Fight'n

++King of the Pirates++

Quote from: dinkywench on May 18, 2009, 03:19:04 PM
what size is your friend Crystal. I have stuff that I will sell her really cheap...maybe even some freebies.

I'm not sure...She's in the 140-160 pound range I think...If that helps any. She's bigger around the hips like most girls.
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

++King of the Pirates++

Quote from: fairydollmaker on May 18, 2009, 02:14:35 PM
I would also like to know if folks dress up for this faire?  we used to always go to Bristol faire and we always dressed up, its a big event for both WI and IL.
I think King of the Pirates outfit sounds perfect!  would like to see pix :)

After that weekend I'll be sure to post pics! :)

One pose that my friend Mary and I wanted to do was me with my hands tied behind my back and her in front of me with one of her legs lifted up near my waist looking all seductive like and about to kiss me...a very provocative pirate picture indeed.

will paisley

I just remembered - when you come in, check to see if there's a costume contest that day, and what the age limits are.  We have had costume contests before, and they have also been limited to children in the past, and although I saw a posting about a costume contest at 2PM on the wall of the ticket booth, I was unable to find out the exact particulars.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

GoldenGoose

There's a Costume Contest every day at 2pm on the Rose Stage in the center of the Shire. Prizes awarded include discounts on faire merchandise, free passes and a chance to compete in the Finals on Closing Day where you can win a season pass for the next season. No need to sign up in advance -- just be there!

Feline Groovy

And who knows? You just might see a surprise proposal there.  (First day of faire, no less.  They were adorably goofy the rest of the day!)
Where was I going and how do I get there?

Dallan

Quote from: GoldenGoose on May 26, 2009, 01:31:36 PM
There's a Costume Contest every day at 2pm on the Rose Stage in the center of the Shire. Prizes awarded include discounts on faire merchandise, free passes and a chance to compete in the Finals on Closing Day where you can win a season pass for the next season. No need to sign up in advance -- just be there!

Yup. Last year our pirate family won the finals.
Fight'n

Captain Dungcaster

I like the post about natural materials. If only some of the more mainstream "outfitters" applied that rule it would be greaat. Too often have I perused web sites and catalogs for 16-17 century garb to find that polyester was the largest part of the fabric make-up. Ughh! Take photos of people in garb and study the garb, decide which items look the best in an individuals garb and find a pattern and a good seamstress. Garbing is fun and I try to keep it historically acurate for the character I portray. Fabric and cut are and were important to the social standing of an individual of the time. Try not to take it too seriously though and have a good time. Introduce yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions. You will uncover a wealth of knowledge!

Resp. Frank Blanton
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

Mistress Cherry

Of course, cheating it a lot of fun too.

You'd be amazed how easy it is to hide elastic bands in clothing by attaching drawstrings that only look functional. :)

And yes, dear god, use cotton if you can!

RSLeask

Not only natural fibers, but the lighter the color, the better.

Unless it rains.

And you "forgot" to wear undergarments.

>.>
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?