News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

SterlingRenfaire featured faire in latest Renaissance magazine issue

Started by Lady Amy of York, May 18, 2009, 11:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

There is a six page article  on  Sterling ren faire  in the latest   issue of Renaissance magazine.It is  mostly photo's  , but  they were fun to look at.  The  photo's  were  well done.  Also  on the inside  cover is  a full page  advertisement  for  Sterling.    Our little " Sterling " is  making the  big  times.
Gee, why  do i suddenly  feel  like  a proud  momma  boosting about  her child !  ::) ;D
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Tygrkat

Heeheehee...I know the feeling, Lady Amy!

I have been haunting the magazine section at Barnes & Noble waiting for the Sterling issue to come out - I can't wait to go pick it up! ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

irish

It was nice to see the faire in the magazine. I think the picture layout was nice, but I felt there were a few things, that were missed.
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Cobaltblu

Would anyone have scans of the pages?  I don't have a subscription to the magazine.

Were there interviews with festival staff and/or actors?

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: irish on May 19, 2009, 01:19:27 PM
It was nice to see the faire in the magazine. I think the picture layout was nice, but I felt there were a few things, that were missed.

I have  to agree in a  way. They could have  said  more  about  the  faire,  or interviewed people.That  was  the  negative  thing about the article.  There were no interviews   with cast  or  actual  descriptions  of  the faire. It was  all photo's  with captions  of  who  were in the photo's. Overall it was  still fun  to look at, and I'm glad  to see Sterling  finally get  some  recognition.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

photomike

I just got my copy! Nice photos but I agree no article?
So here is a challenge for us!
We have a great many people here with many fine talents, do you think WE could wright an article for the magizine ourselves?
Do we have a wrighter out there that could, or would, take comments & observations from people & condense them to a profile of our beloved Faire! We could try to do little interviews with actors, vendors & patrons during Faire, (as long as we don't interfer with the shows). Actors & staff would be better asked after the gates close & be brief. I have photos of almost everyone that could be used with the article too. I think that we could even produce a book if we wanted to. If anyone or group would like to try to make this or something similar a reality, we could get started this season! We would need to ask Mr. Waterberry for his blessings, but I think we would be OK! If you think this is a good idea we could start another thread on it.
Thanks & I will see you all at Sterling soon!
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Tygrkat

That is a BRILLIANT idea, PhotoMike!

I don't know that I could take on a project of that scale on my own, but I would LOVE to lend my skills!  :)

It would be great to see a book, especially since Sterling has such a rich history. In my *very* brief encounters with Sir Douglas, it would seem that this would be something he may well be agreeable to - although I wouldn't presume to know for sure.
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

NicoleBridget

I was soooooo excited for this issue, knowing "we" were being featured but I was rather let down by the spread.  It very much lacked WOW factor.  I mean...it's SRF, one of the nation's best!  I agree that these faire pictorials need to be accompanied by more than just photo captions, there really should be an article.

Cobaltblu

They might not have a travel budget since they are a small magazine.  Did the photos look like they actually went to Sterling to take them or were they ones we have seen before?

Even if they don't have money to travel they could do phone interviews (maybe via webcam) or ask the faire to submit a brief statement and video of the faire grounds to get the flavor.

Regards,

CB

Aaroncois

I've written for magazines before. I can take a stab at this, perhaps. I'll need to take a look and see what the submission guidelines are for this mag.

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

They were in fact at Sterling last summer and stayed at my guest house. Unfortunately no interview was asked for and I only briefly met their representatives. Although I very much appreciated the photo spread.

Cobaltblu

Aaroncois

A Poor Player

We want to but aren't getting contacted regarding that, so you can find us here:

6.06.09     The Midsummer Renaissance Faire!
6.07.09    The Midsummer Renaissance Faire!
7.26.09    Beardslee Castle's Seventh Annual Medieval Faire
8.08.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.09.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.15.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.16.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.22.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.23.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.23.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.30.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
8.31.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
9.05.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
9.06.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
9.12.09    Utica Music and Arts Festival: Utica Greens Festival Day
9.13.09    Westcott Cultural Festival
9.19.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
9.20.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
9.26.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
10.03.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
10.04.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
10.10.09    The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire

Romeo 'the' Red

It has been many years since I have been up North to the Sterling Faire, but I remember it fondly (it is where I got my first taste of faire).  The magazine only does picture layouts with a small amount of text in general.  They usually have about 8-12 pages of pictures (30 or 40).  This layout seemed to spend more time with artisans which in my opinion doesn't really say much about the faire itself.  (although it is interesting).  It is almost like they need an issue that just has pictures of artisans from different faires (submitted by the artisans mayhaps?).  I've been impressed with what they do in their magazine. 

Best Regards
Sir Walter Raleigh (Adam Fivush) from Fishers Renaissance Faire (also the Chairman of the Faire).
Sir Walter Raleigh
Chairman of the Fishers Renaissance Faire
Founding member of The Hey Nonny Nonny Players  (aka Pirate