News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Disappointed in NCRF ~ Off to GARF

Started by Raibeart OShea, May 19, 2009, 06:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raibeart OShea

My son and I went to NCRF at the new venue this year.  I have to say that I was fairly disappointed.  It may have been the new site, it may have been the lack of patronage, I'm not sure...but, he and I were expecting so much more.  Oh, to be sure, we had a large time.  It just seemed to us that the new site was hard to find (poorly marked from the road), the layout seemed chaotic, the indoor vendors were packed tight and there seemed to be a lack of performers.  I may have gotten the wrong impression, especially since it was the first year at the golf course, and since it IS a 2 weekend Faire...but overall, we felt it was lacking something.  That being said, after a conversation with a certain individual, we have been given hope that years to come will show us that the new site will work out well and provide CRFers with another venue close by that, if not rivaling CRF, it will be a wonderful weekend excursion. >>

Now...3 days to the ROAD TRIP!!!  We're heading down to GARF for this Memorial Day weekend.  I've purposefully not read too much about GARF (aside from checking out the pics to get an idea of what the grounds are like) so that we'll have no preconceived notions on how it will be there.  We understand that it's much larger, with much more to offer.  I expect to see other RFers there as well.  We've been saving for months, making our garb list (and checking it twice), and generally getting very impatient with how slowly time seems to pass while we are anticipating our trip.  Time, Time, Time, is NOT on my side...

So, here's to seeing as many of you at GARF as we can!  Three Cheers! Hip Hip Huzzah!  Hip Hip Huzzah!  Hip Hip Huzzah!

Latha math dhuibh.
Raibeart O'Shea
HomeFaire: CRF
Attended: NCRF 09, GARF 09, 10
Plans to attend: Them ALL.

Scotsman

Tis indeed sad to hear but frankly it was my fear. I have gone to this faire the past few years and had fun frolicking with friends but due to tensions between the management and paytrons I bowed out this year sensing impending disappointment. I hope the faire gets its footing but I fear it will not.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Femme Falchion

Surprised to hear of your disappointment Raibeart.....I could of sworn you were enjoying yourself.  ;) :) 

Rest assured...not all CRFers share your discontentment.  I loved the smaller venue, beautiful woods, fabulous weather and fine companions.

M'Lord and I traveled to GARF opening weekend and loved it.....I'm confident you and your family will as well.   :)   
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Raibeart OShea

To be sure, I very much enjoyed my day.  Any day I can escape the mundane world is a good day.  I enjoyed the company, the food and drink and a couple of the performers.  I just felt that the location was not planned out well, the performers that I saw were fewer than I expected, and that there were so few people there.  Not that I wanted to be crowded or anything, it's that...well...I guess I was probably disappointed because I'd heard so much about NCRF and with the change, apparently it's nothing like it used to be.  I just hope that, in the future, it might be close to what people had described of their experiences from the old location.  Time will tell...we're not giving up on it or anything.  Hell, it's my second-closest Faire.
Latha math dhuibh.
Raibeart O'Shea
HomeFaire: CRF
Attended: NCRF 09, GARF 09, 10
Plans to attend: Them ALL.

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Myne Pyrate Molden & I shall be in attendance in the morro at GARF, we shall look for yee!
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."