News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

VARF 2009 Pirate Weekend Weather (To be updated regularly)

Started by ++King of the Pirates++, May 19, 2009, 11:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

++King of the Pirates++

Here I will post the forecast of Spotsylvania, VA for May 30th-31st.

May 30th:

High Temperature: 74 degrees
Low Temperature: 59 degrees
General Conditions: Partly sunny

May 31st:

High Temperature: 74 degrees
Low Temperature: 62 degrees
General Conditions: Clouds; A shower in the p.m.

Ps. If it wasn't already obvious, forecasting weather is another one of my hobbies...:)
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

++King of the Pirates++

May 30th:

High: 76 degrees
Low: 63 degrees
General Conditions: Periods of Rain (I reeeeeeaaaalllly hope that changes for the better) :(

May 31st:

High: 82 degrees
Low: 65 degrees
General Conditions: Humid with periods of rain...:(
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

will paisley

Quote from: ++King of the Pirates++ on May 20, 2009, 12:00:50 PM
May 30th:

Low: 63 degrees
General Conditions: Periods of Rain (I reeeeeeaaaalllly hope that changes for the better) :(

May 31st:

High: 82 degrees
Low: 65 degrees
General Conditions: Humid with periods of rain...:(

Don't worry - for the most part, "periods of rain" don't shut down a faire.  Though we can't tell until the actual storm hits, we don't plan to shut completely down just because some water falls down out of the sky.  If you're lucky, you'll get stuck in the pub tent when the rains start.  Often there'll be some hybrid or composite shows, because none of the performers want to go out in the rain on the other stages, and none of the patrons want to leave the cover of the biggest tent in the shire to go see them there.  At a big faire such as MDRF, many of the regulars *prefer* rain days, as it thins out the crowds and performers tend to throw more improvisation into their shows.  VARF's hardly big enough to need the "crowd" thinned, but rain doesn't necessarily shut us down, either.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

lowlandscot

Will's been performing at VARF much longer than I have (this is only my second year) but I've seen some really impressive thunderstorms that did not shut down the faire. As he said, being in the pub tent during a summer squall can be one of the most charming experiences, as everyone scrambles to make sure there's no down time on the stage. It rained most of the morning this past Sunday and was the coldest 55 degrees I've ever lived through, yet even small stages like the Phoenix were never vacant for long. Three of us that were booked back-to-back half hours ended up just jamming with each other the entire morning because we didn't want to leave the shelter of the tent, and the few patrons who stopped by were quite taken with the spontaneity. It was possibly the only opportunity to hear a hammered dulcimer, harp, and bagpipe playing together in the entire mid-Atlantic.

And let's not forget the possibility of impromptu wench-on-wench mud wrestling. It happens at least once a season.

++King of the Pirates++

May 30th:

Low: 59 degrees
General Conditions: Partly sunny; A shower in the afternoon

May 31st:

High: 71 degrees
Low: 60 degrees
General Conditions: A blend of sun and clouds :)

TheNutGuy

Saturday 30: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

Sunday 31: Plenty of sun. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 50s.

Come Taste My Nuts!
"Man is harder than iron, stronger than stone, and more fragile than a rose." -Turkish proverb

TheNutGuy

Saturday: Morning sunshine followed by isolated thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 81F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sunday: Partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
"Man is harder than iron, stronger than stone, and more fragile than a rose." -Turkish proverb