News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tresure Chest for my son

Started by maelstrom0370, May 19, 2009, 02:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

Ok...
So I'm starting this project.  I'm building a "Tresure Chest" for my son.  He's 3 now and I plan on giving this to him when he's about 10.  Why you ask?  Well, I'm slowly filling it with things for him for when he's a bit older.  So far it's mostly books.  "Intersting Facts" books, "Big Book of...." books, classic novels, a couple role-playing books, etc.  Also, I bought him "The Dangerous Book for Boys" and it recommends a "kit" of sorts that all boys should have.  Swiss Army knife, fish hooks and line, needles and thread, compass, etc so that's going in there as well as a Leatherman and whatever else I can think up between now and then.  Ideas would be appreciated!!!
ANYways...here's some "Before" pictures of what I've got so far...

Exterior...

...and Interior...

...some fabric my girlfriend bought to line the inside...

...don't tell her, but I'm leaning towards something in a nice red velvet!!  :P

I have to admit, we bought the chest at Hobby Lobby, but I'm swapping out the hinges, handles, feet and clasp and adding a nice old fashioned pad lock to give it a truly Pyratical look!
I'll post more as I update it.

Sabrina Black

That's a really cool idea!  I like it!
Wench-in-training

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 19, 2009, 02:36:27 PM
That's a really cool idea!  I like it!

Thanks!  It sorta formed when I bought him "The Dangerous Book For Boys" about a year and a half ago.  I knew it was something I wanted him to have and I've just been adding things as I find them.  The Tresure Chest idea happened last week..."Hmmm...we need something cool to put all this stuff in!"

Cobaltblu

If you are putting fish hooks and needles be sure to include a first aid kit.

Also:

Pocket telescope or binoculars

Magnifying glass

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Tammy

Kinda like a hope chest for girls...neat!!

How about a whet stone to keep that knife sharp?
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Hoowil

Slingshot?

What a great idea. We've been keeping some thigns for the kids "for when they're older" but had never really thought about how to give them to them, so I absolutely love the idea. I might have to adapt it to my own kids...

Its a little late now, but for those who might think of doing something similar for their own future kids, my wife and I mailed birth announcments to our kids, for their own births, to keep sealed until they get thier stash of goodies. And my wife keeps jounrals, strting from when we found out she was pregnant, about all the things going on that they might ot know or remember when they're grown.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Jon Foster

How about the SAS guide book? It's pretty useful for adults as well. They make two versions of it. A regular size and a small pocket size edition. Your boy is going to need a couple of sharpening stones. Diamond sharpeners are nice. A good flint kit or magnesium striker block to make fire. Some tender. A few tea light candles. A good web belt. Extra long shoe laces to double lace shoes/boots. You never know when you need extra string! A small LED flashlight to keep the creepies away. A two way radio would be cool so he can talk to dad. You already said a compass but a analog watch works very well as a compass in a pinch. A map or two with markings he can identify. The slingshot mentioned earlier is a cool idea too but if you put something like that in there then you really need some safetly glasses too. A small signaling mirror wouldn't hurt along with a whistle. Wait, how big is this chest?  ::)

Jon.

I. Stewart

Wait... how can a watch be a compass?

Jon Foster

Check out this link: http://fm2176.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/field-expedient-direction-finding-fm-21-76/. Another good book to have is a copy of the FM 21-76 field manual used by the military. Finding an up to date version in stores is a bit tricky though. You're better off downloading it and reading it. But then you won't have a handy copy with you if you get into a situation where it could be useful...  :-\

Jon.