News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Following Orders

Started by Monsignor de Beaumanoir, May 08, 2008, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Femme Falchion on August 01, 2008, 08:25:30 AM
not my personal experience but I've heard tales...

Rumor monger!  :P

Lady Christina de Pond

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Warrior_Monk on August 01, 2008, 06:41:57 AM
Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on July 31, 2008, 02:26:45 PM
;D some nice rings but i think i got enough rings well except two i keep looking for but they don't look anything like those

This smacks of Greed and Envy!  ;D

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Sir William Marcus

Interesting picture although I'm not real sure how it should be translated?

1.) Is that the bearer?
2.) Wheres the protection for the bearer?
3.) Snow? European campaign perhaps?
4.) Has he survived the battle and this is where he falls?
5.) Could that be fellow brothers in the distance to his rescue or the enemy?
6.) Or it could possibly be "ME!" Laughing my holy hiney off face down in the snow at the the previous post by frere Cliff??
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

My money goes with:

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on August 01, 2008, 12:40:30 PM
Interesting picture although I'm not real sure how it should be translated?

6.) Or it could possibly be "ME!" Laughing my holy hiney off face down in the snow at the the previous post by frere Cliff??

Lady Christina de Pond

6 sounds like a good answer to me
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Femme Falchion

Quote from: Warrior_Monk on August 01, 2008, 09:56:57 AM

7.) What happens when the Master of the Temple dictates too few days of meat consumption.  The fellows approaching have quality hard tack in their satchels but it is too late.     :'( :'(
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Sir William Marcus

6 it is!!   Although the addition of #7 is very good as well FF.  I especially liked how you incorporated the word "hard tack" which brings back memories to my wild west days

Femme Falchion

I am glad it pleases you Sir William.  I thought perhaps using the words quality and hard tack together would be my oxymoron of the week.

Do you know the means by which the Knights' provisions were transported?  I would imagine the hot climes in which they traveled prohibited fresh flesh.  Perhaps it was salted and cured?

BTW  I agree that #6 is indeed most appropriate and will provide us all with a lasting visual when you ROLF on the thread next
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Femme Falchion on August 01, 2008, 03:48:03 PM
I thought perhaps using the words quality and hard tack together would be my oxymoron of the week.

Quality hard tack is always better than "yucky poo" hard tack any day!

Quote from: Femme Falchion on August 01, 2008, 03:48:03 PM
Do you know the means by which the Knights' provisions were transported?  I would imagine the hot climes in which they traveled prohibited fresh flesh.  Perhaps it was salted and cured?

Middle Ages Food Preservation

It was important for the Medieval people of the Middle Ages to preserve food in the summer to be eaten during during the winter months. Foods which could not be preserved were only eaten when they were in season. It was not economic to keep and feed animals during the winter so animals were slaughtered in the autumn. The meat during the Middle Ages was preserved in salt. Some historians believe that pepper was also used in food preservation during the Middle Ages, however pepper was even more expensive than salt that its use for such a purpose must have been extremely limited.

The use of Salt in Middle Ages Food Preservation

There were two methods of food preservation using salt as a preservative. Dry-salting where the meat or fish was buried in salt and brine-curing where meat was soaked in salt water. Each year households prepared tubs of a thick saline bath and undertook to preserve fresh meats for the coming winter. The problem was that any food preserved in salt had a constant salt taste. Methods were therefore introduced to disguise the salty taste. Spices form the East were added to cooking recipes. These spices included Pepper, Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Ginger, Saffron, Cardamom, Coriander, Cumin, Garlic, Turmeric, Mace, Anise, Caraway and Mustard. Food was also served with a variety of sauces which also disguised the salt taste. Salted meats and fish were generally rinsed in several changes of liquid before they were added to a dish.

Methods and Techniques of Middle Ages Food Preservation - Pickling, Gelatine, Smoking
There were several other methods used during the process of Medieval food preservation:

Pickling - Pickling in a salt brine was the standard method of preserving meats and fish. Typical pickling agents included brine (high in salt) and vinegar

Gelatine - Jelly or gelatine was used for preserving cooked meat or fresh fish. Food may be preserved by cooking in a material, such as gelatine, that solidifies to form a gel. Some foods naturally form a protein gel when cooked such as eels

Smoked Food - Wood smoked food was a method use to preserve pork or fish

Drying - Most meats and fruit can be preserved through the drying process. Drying is also the normal means of preservation for cereal grains such as wheat, oats, barley and rye.

Candies - Fruits & nuts could be candied in order to prolong their life

Honey - Was used a preservative in mead

Principle of Middle Ages Food Preservation
The principle of food preservation was to treat food in such a way as to safely stop, or slow down, the spoilage of  food. The preservation methods require the food to be sealed after treatment.

Source: The Middle Ages Website

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on August 02, 2008, 03:13:14 AM

Gelatine - Jelly or gelatine was used for preserving cooked meat or fresh fish. Food may be preserved by cooking in a material, such as gelatine, that solidifies to form a gel. Some foods naturally form a protein gel when cooked such as eels

EWWWWWWWW  JUST THE THOUGHT OF JELLIED MEAT YUCK :(
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Sir William Marcus

Are you kidding me??? Nothing says "Mmmmm....Mmmmm" like a bowl of jellied fish!

Lady Christina de Pond

:( i just get a picture of nasty ewey goewy fish is this blob of grayish jelly
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on August 04, 2008, 08:49:18 AM
:( i just get a picture of nasty ewey goewy fish is this blob of grayish jelly