News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My first audition

Started by Guyinthehall8, May 26, 2009, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyinthehall8

Hello all! I'm planning on auditioning for the Carolina Faire in July. They told me I didn't need anything prepared or whatnot, but I'm not sure if I should have something anyways. Basically, I'm a complete newbie at this and would love any and all advice. I've done lots of stage acting and auditions with cold readings, but I'm pretty positive this is something completely different. I was just hoping all you wonderful people here could kind of give me a rundown of what to expect, what might help my chances, what I should bring, etc. etc.

Thanks!!!  ;D

McGuinness

The most important tip of all...relax and have fun!

You might want to get together with Lady Dina or <a href="http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=6666.0">read her post</a> a little further down in this forum. She had pretty much the same questions, also about CRF. Go check it out and if you have any questions, let me know. I'm far from a pro, but I'd be happy to give my $0.02.  :)

Lady Dina

I'm auditioning for CRF for the first time as well. What day are you going? I'll be there sat.
As far as material, I am going to prepare a song since I heard that it helps to have something to set you apart from others.
So if you have any special talent that is relevant to your character I would suggest doing that. The lady in charge of the auditions also told me that it helps if you know something about the character you are auditioning for such as how they would live or what there duties would be.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Guyinthehall8

I'm not sure yet what day I'm auditioning, But Saturday is the current favorite, lol.

Yeah, I'm in the process of trying to develop a really good character right now, but it's much tougher than I ever thought it would be! I figure I'll memorize a quick Shakespeare monologue or two, and then maybe a nice short song, and possibly even throw in a bit of juggling, haha. But I imagine the majority of the audition will be improv exercises and such? It's all a bit intimidating going in without having a real clue what's expected, lol. But I suppose there has to be a first time eventually! Atleast if I fail miserably I'll have a better grasp on the process for my next audition.

Lady Dina

I know how you feel, I also am intimidated a bit because I don't know what to expect. For those of you who have auditioned before should I go already in my costume? The other thing I'm worried about is the accent. I am trying to practice it before the audition but i was wondering if they expect the people auditioning to already have one.

VIII

Ooookaaay, here's one of the cheats:

S.M.I.L.E.

Smile: When you get up before the 'Panel-o-judges' be sure to SMILE.  Not just your everyday, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, 'smile-because-I'm-supposed-to', but a real "I'm enjoying myself" smile.

Make eye contact: Look all of the judges in the eye when you smile, like you're talking TO them, not AT them.  When they are talking to you, make eye contact so they know you are listening.

Intelligence: Look and act like you are smart enough to be there.  Nod on occasion, but not so much you look like a bobblehead.  Ask intelligent questions, especially if you do not understand what is being asked of you.  Better that than get up and show them you do not know what they are talking about.

Look: Be aware of your surroundings.  If you fall off the stage, not only can you hurt yourself, but you can hurt your chances.  If you trample some kid or old lady, you look like a blundering fool.  Play to that guy in the back or in the corner with his arms crossed, he just might be the General Manager or the Owner!

Everyone: Involve everyone around you.  If there is a wall-flower in the group, try to engage them.  Don't be intimidated by the big ones, the snooty ones, the Divas, the hideously deformed, the Goths, the flakes, the creeps, the foreigners, the just plain weird.  Show you are ready, willing, and able to work with everyone.

An audition is just a mini-performance, your chance to play in someone elses sandbox for an afternoon.  If you don't get chosen, shake it off and prepare for the next time.  No one is going to cut your throat just because you blew it.  Remember that an audition is nothing to be nervous about.  If you get accepted, THEN you should get nervous!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Lady Dina

Thanks VIII,
That helps alot!

lys1022

Something that I like to tell people who are auditioning is to remember that they're generally NOT looking for a finished product.  What the auditioners ARE looking for is potential.  Will this person work well with others?  Do they play nicely?  Do they come across as someone who wants to help everyone shine?  Not every faire has as extensive a training process as Scarby, but they all have SOME kind of workshops.  You'll learn what they want you to know in order to create a character, speak in dialect, and support the history.  What they can't teach you is to be a good team member, and that's the most important thing of all.

Your auditioners want you to succeed.  They're sitting out there rooting for you.  They don't want to see anyone crash and burn, despite what it may feel like.  Smile, be friendly, play well with others, and take the chance on looking foolish.  I would rather work with someone who doesn't mind looking foolish than someone who won't step out and give it a go because they're afraid people will laugh at them instead of with them.

Oh, and lastly, HAVE FUN! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Guyinthehall8

Yes, I'm getting some great advice, thank you all!

Now should I have a character in mind and developed before I show up? I know you should be ready to be any character they want you to be, but I've been told by some that I should already have a full character ready to present?

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: lys1022 on June 15, 2009, 11:36:35 PM
Something that I like to tell people who are auditioning is to remember that they're generally NOT looking for a finished product.  What the auditioners ARE looking for is potential.  Will this person work well with others?  Do they play nicely?  Do they come across as someone who wants to help everyone shine?  Not every faire has as extensive a training process as Scarby, but they all have SOME kind of workshops.  You'll learn what they want you to know in order to create a character, speak in dialect, and support the history.  What they can't teach you is to be a good team member, and that's the most important thing of all.

Your auditioners want you to succeed.  They're sitting out there rooting for you.  They don't want to see anyone crash and burn, despite what it may feel like.  Smile, be friendly, play well with others, and take the chance on looking foolish.  I would rather work with someone who doesn't mind looking foolish than someone who won't step out and give it a go because they're afraid people will laugh at them instead of with them.

Oh, and lastly, HAVE FUN! :)
From my experience, all the above is very true - and well said!

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

McGuinness

Quote from: Guyinthehall8 on June 17, 2009, 05:33:05 PM
Yes, I'm getting some great advice, thank you all!

Now should I have a character in mind and developed before I show up? I know you should be ready to be any character they want you to be, but I've been told by some that I should already have a full character ready to present?

It wouldn't hurt. Yes, they will likely cast what they need, but if you come up with some well-formed ideas, how you would play them and how the character would interact with patrons and within the storyline (not sure how important that is at Carolina - up here at PaRF, street interaction is a #1 priority), you've taken some work out of their hands and they might just let you have it! I went to our auditions this year with some of the most intensive and detailed character proposals I've ever done for them and was given my first choice character for this season, the one I was absolutely the most excited about playing.

Being prepared doesn't hurt. If they ask for it or use it, great. If not, its good practice and a fun exercise!